Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,466

2 members and 3,464 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Need help with a scared baby BP

Hi Everyone,

My name is Heather and I'm new here. We have one Het Pied BP, who is just over 1 and doing amazing. We also acquired a Pied BP about 2 months ago who is approx, 4 months old now. She is so so scared. She comes out of her hides and roams her cage in the evenings and has been ok when we check on her in hr hide, but we haven't brought her out much beyond that as she's so tense, and coiled, ready to strike. Then she flees and tries to get away. We have left her alone to let her get used to life in our home and she's done great until the last couple weeks. 2 weeks ago, we attempted to bring her out, and held her in the palm of my hand for about a minute, and then out her back. When I put her back she struck me for the first time. A week later, she struck the glass as I was looking at her. We've always been gentle and deliberate around her tank and she is out enough that we are not a surprise to her. She is just quite a bit more wild than our 1 year old Angus.

I'm looking for advice as to what we should do. I'm prepared to leave her be for as long as she needs it and if she's not going to be a snake we can hold, then so be it... I just worry about her 'fulfillment', for lack of a better word. When it's time we will move her to a larger tank, and can set up more stuff for her, but is she going to be happy in her terrarium all the time? Is there something we should be doing or continue to not do, lol? She eats like a champ, is a damn predator and husbandry is great.

Many thanks,
    Heather

Thanks
    Hey- You're about to get asked a ton of questions. Lemme help ya get ahead of them so the experienced guys can go straight to helping you:

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...t-Questionaire

I discovered this sticky a few days ago and I wish I had used it in my requests for help

1. How long have you had your ball python?

2. How old (or how big) is your snake?

3. Does it eat on a regular schedule?

4. How long since its last meal?

5. What type/size prey is being offered?

6. How often do you offer food?

7. What type and size of enclosure does it live in?

8. What are you using as substrate? If it has depth, how deep is it?

9. What type of heating do you use?

10. Do you use a thermostat to control temperatures?

11. What do you use to measure/monitor temperatures?

12. What are the surface and ambient temperatures in the enclosure?

13. What is the average humidity level?

14. How many and what type of hides does the snake have?

15. Is water readily available at all times?

16. Does the snake live alone or does it share the enclosure with anything else?

17. How often and for how long is the snake typically handled?

18. Does the snake have any medical history (old injuries or illnesses)?

19. Do you have any other reptiles? Have you brought in any new reptiles recently?

20. Is there anything specific or unique about your situation that we should be aware of?
    Last edited by Ranulf; 07-30-2019 at 11:43 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ranulf For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-31-2019),Craiga 01453 (07-31-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts
    Without having all the (above) details, let me just say try to relax & be patient: snakes, even if captive-bred, are "wild" animals, meaning they rely on their instincts.
    In the wild, those instincts include the fact that anything that picks them up is a predator that's about to eat them, so it takes time for them to overcome their fear of
    us. Add to that the fact that when you brought this snake home her whole world changed & she has no idea how or why that happened...can you imagine how weird
    that must feel? So for now, I'd personally be delighted that this snake eats & (I assume) is outwardly-healthy; keep in mind that for snakes, just as in humans, stress
    has a negative effect on the function of their immune system, so the best thing to do with a new snake is to back off & let it settle in. Just because that only seemed
    to take 2 weeks with another snake doesn't mean the same will be true of this one, or the next one. Snakes have their own personalities, & their own history that they
    cannot tell us about, & handling is just not "job #1", but eating is. If snakes all reacted exactly the same, what would be the fun of keeping them? There'd be nothing
    to figure out. In my personal experience, some of the ones I've had to work the hardest on are the ones I enjoy the most.

As far as your snake striking out at you when you tried to put her back, try to imagine yourself in her place: picked up by a giant, then a loss of traction (being let go
    of) even while that giant is still hovering nearby... In my experience, most snakes feel safer when held close to us, because in the wild, they naturally try to hide,
    to blend in for safety. When they feel most exposed is when we approach them, and again when we put them back. It takes time for a snake to overcome their instincts
    & understand they are actually safe with us...& it takes as long as it takes.

So Heather...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-31-2019),HNECdn (07-31-2019),Ranulf (07-31-2019)

Thanks

Re: Need help with a scared baby BP

Ok here goes:

1. We have had this ball python for about 2-2.5 months now. She is about 4 months old
    2. I don't know her current weight but she is approx 20 inches long
    3. She eats regularly once a week (Sundays) and has never not eaten
    4. I picked her up last mid week, this is the first time in 7 weeks that I have held her. That was 2 weeks ago. We were trying to give her more time to settle in.
    5. We are currently feeding her 1-2 hoppers. And she ate her first small adult this past weekend.
    6. We only offer food once a week
    7. Her terrarium is 30" wide x 15" Tall x 15" deep. She has two hides (they look like caves, cold and warm end), and some fake greenery which she seems to really like.
    8. Aspen Substrate, it works wicked in our really dry climate, it's about 2.5" thick as we don't need the under tank heating right now.
    9. Currently I have a heat lamp on her, for 14 hours, on a timer. In the winter we also use the under tank mats on a thermostat, and we check temp with an infrared thermometer. Both snakes (separate tanks) avg 88-92 on the warm side and right now, around 80-84 on the cool, depending on the temp outside.
    10. Avg humidity is low, we live in a climate dryer than Nevada... so it's around 30%. When they go into shed, I kick it up to about 50% and have never had a shed problem with either of my snakes.
    11. Both snakes live in separate enclosures, with nothing else, the enclosures are side by side. For now, Angus' (the other BP) is in a much larger tank. As she grows she will get a new one as well.
    12. We take Angus out several times a week, but this little one, we are discussing has only come out 4 times in the last 2-2.5 months. She's also been vet checked and was in great health. We have an awesome exotics vet here in Calgary.
    13. She has been our newest addition. We have Angus who is just over 1 and doing awesome, and the new little girl Aria.
    14. We purchased her from a breeder, and i don't have any medical history, other than the one I've established, but the vet said she looked great, she was just young...

Thank you for the reply! She eats like a champion. And in 1/2 the time it takes Angus, so i have no concerns there. We really just want the best for her, so we are happy to leave her be and let her settle. I realize the answer is different for all of them, but should we wait 6 months? Just let her be really comfortable... Be able to predict most of what we do? Their terrariums are in our living room/kitchen, and we live in a loft so it's wide open.
    Last edited by HNECdn; 07-31-2019 at 02:05 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HNECdn For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-31-2019),Ranulf (08-01-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I'm heading out shortly, so unfortunately I don't have time to be thorough right now but read through that and caught one GIANT red flag...

You need to follow very strict quarantine procedures when bringing any new reptile home. Since your two snakes are side by each you need to seperate them into seperate rooms and start a strict 90+ day quarantine on BOTH animals now.
    You'll want to seperate them ASAP and begin the quarantine process ASAP.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

HNECdn (08-01-2019),Ranulf (07-31-2019)

Thanks
    Dont be offended if any of these guys seem to jump on you for stuff, their ultimate concern is for the snakes, and their tones of voice don't come over well over text. I don't think anyone here is trying to present their messages as an attack on you.

Here is the. Quarantine sticky: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...antine-process

I'm pretty new to reptiles myself, so feel free to take the following with a grain of salt:

Aspen is controversial in the Ball Python world due to its poor humidity holding characteristics and the fact that it gets moldy and gross pretty quickly if you spray it regularly. In HIGH humidity environments, some people decide to use it BECAUSE it doesn't hold humidity.

Ball Pythons live in a naturally humid environment and they will usually seek out those humid environments as that is where they feel comfortable. There is a chance that your older snake doesn't mind much or is used to it by now, but your new snake is stressed out that it has nowhere humid to go.

Its great that you have been able to ensure good sheds, but you may wanna consider switching to cypress or coconut fiber substrates. Cypress is probably superior due to its antifungal and antimicrobial characteristics, but we use coconut fiber in our tanks. Some people also use a mix.

These substrates are naturally moist, and they also hold moisture very well.

I recommend considering a humidity-hide as well, like the ones Zilla and other manufacturers make. I would also recommend upgrading to a digital hydrometer if you haven't already, as those tend to be more accurate.

Last thing. Again, take all this with a grain of salt if you wish, as its not like I've been keeping reptiles very long.

Ball pythons are not basking animals, and they tend to seek belly heat over direct light. They tend to come out at dawn or dusk in the wild, which is why they usually stay in their hides all day. A heat lamp is not going to heat up underneath a hide very well. If you get rid of one heat element over the summer, I recommend that you ditch the heat lamp and stick with a UTH on a thermostat.

If you are having problems maintaining ambient air temperatures on the cool side, I recommend keeping both heat sources and putting them on independent thermostats. Perhaps consider switching to a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) and leaving it on a thermostat permanently. I have my thermostat probe for my lamp hanging a few inches above the substrate right along the cold side glass.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ranulf For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-31-2019),HNECdn (08-01-2019),Luvyna (08-01-2019)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ranulf View Post
    Dont be offended if any of these guys seem to jump on you for stuff, their ultimate concern is for the snakes, and their tones of voice don't come over well over text. I don't think anyone here is trying to present their messages as an attack on you.
    Ummmmmm...where on Earth did this come from? Nobody has said anything at all that could be seen as even remotely offensive or as an attack.

I just don't get it...

Thanks

I didnt't take anything as offensive, however, sometimes when being bombarded with information it can feel like an attack so I just wanted to reassure.

Sorry if I offended you in turn.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ranulf View Post
    I didnt't take anything as offensive, however, sometimes when being bombarded with information it can feel like an attack so I just wanted to reassure.

Sorry if I offended you in turn.
    You didn't offend me at all. It's a public forum where people ASK for help. Answers and suggestions were provided. No bombardment, just answers.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts
    HNECdn, I agree that it would have been much safer to have quarantined your new snake from your other one for at least 3 to 6 mos. but at this point and with
    only the 2 snakes, I personally think that ship has sailed. IE. at this point I wouldn't bother...hopefully you got lucky this time & if you add any more snakes, by
    all means do a quarantine...the only thing sadder than having a new pet that's sick & dies is sharing that tragedy with your other pets too. Not to mention that
    vet bills mount up quickly treating multiple snakes.

Now & then I've been known to capitalize a word or two for emphasis (since written words can be misunderstood as to intent), but I'll vouch for Craig's desire to
    only be of help here. This is not generally a pugilistic forum, we're all here to help.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-31-2019),HNECdn (08-01-2019),Ranulf (08-01-2019)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast