Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,654

2 members and 2,652 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Feeding rats in a breeding rack

Hi, and thanks in advance!

I just created a rat breeding rack with the cement mixing tubs most often recommended and using 1/2" hardware cloth as the top window.

My question is how does everyone feed their rats in these setups? Do they place the food directly in the tub? Can the rats eat the Mazuri 6f I use if I place it on top of the screen?

I would like to reduce waste as much as possible. I started by putting the food in the tub but the rats seem to throw it everywhere and it must be thrown out when changing the bedding. I would like to stop food waste as much as possible.

I purchased the small mouse breeding tubs from LLL and they have a space for food on top of the screen they provide, but the screen runs vertical so they can squeeze their faces through it to grab food. The 1/2" hardware cloth has square openings and the rats have much larger snouts. I didn't know if this would prevent them from getting enough food or any at all. I don't want hangry rats!

So how do you feed your rats in a home made breeding rack?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On the top of the screen if you place it in the tubs you will have an enormous amount of waste.

1/2 inch hardware cloth is fine for rats for mice you want 1/4 or they will escape.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

jnb150 (07-30-2019)

Thanks

Re: Feeding rats in a breeding rack

Will weaned rats be able to reach the food as well? Are the older ones able to chew through the metal if they go at it long enough?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jnb150 View Post
    Will weaned rats be able to reach the food as well? Are the older ones able to chew through the metal if they go at it long enough?
    Yes, they can. As the food is ground down and eaten, some small pieces fall through and pre-weaned and weaned rats will start on those pieces. My weaned rats are typically 70 to 90g, and reach no problem by 3 weeks, which is before I wean.

I've never heard of adults chewing through the metal. Plastic or wood is where people are generally concerned.

Get good stock to start that are not tub/cage chewers and you will not have an issue there either way.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

jnb150 (07-30-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jnb150 View Post
    I have been breeding 5K+ of rats each year for 12 years and never had issues and my rat tubs are 6 inches deep.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

jnb150 (07-30-2019)