Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,960

1 members and 2,959 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    BTW, respiratory infections can be contagious to other snakes nearby...& I'm betting this one wasn't in quarantine either? So the other snake could come
    down with it after being stressed, coming into a new home (yours) if you go that route...only that might not show up right away, & then you would be stuck.

You didn't mention the gender of the adult snake but part of me is guessing it's an adult female, maybe this one's mom- that would explain the fact they're feeding
    2 adult mice...but if now available for purchase, that means it's a retired breeder- no longer productive for them to make money off of, and breeders don't usually
    live as long as un-bred snakes, as breeding takes a toll on their health. So without a lot more information, of the reliable (!) kind, I'd not chance it. My 2 cents.

Plenty of reliable breeders around with healthy snakes available.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-29-2019 at 05:14 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Countach (07-29-2019)

Thanks

Re: Year-old corn snake

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Thought so...poor snake has an infection (R.I.) going on, & I'm willing to bet they've already treated him for it, to no avail...they were just hoping you wouldn't notice.

No way I'm making THIS decision for you...I don't think I'd personally trust either option, I'd want a refund; even though sorry for this snake, it's asking a LOT of a new
    inexperienced owner to take on a sick snake -exotic animal vets are expensive & there's no guarantee that treatment will be successful, I'm sorry to say. Also, I'm not
    seeing your other option (the adult snake) nor have you included pertinent details (age, health, appearance) much less how YOU feel about it.

BTW, did you find any mites? -that's another factor to consider carefully. (ie. another reason to run the other direction)

FYI: some infections are resistant to medications given. Also, just giving an antibiotic is NO guarantee it will work...it's totally a "shot in the dark" unless extensive lab
    work (more costly!) is done to identify the exact pathogen they're trying to eradicate (cure). So as Clint Eastwood said, "Do you feel lucky? ...well, do ya?"

I'm not sure that these are your only 2 options either: you might call the Better Business Bureau or local (city) chamber of commerce...not sure what city or state laws
    may apply to being sold a sick animal (ASK!), but any GOOD establishment would give your money back...you noticed immediately, & they know they're wrong, IMO.

I might also find a way to hint that I have a lot of friends that I talk to in the herp community: ie. imply that you could hurt their reputation if they give you a hard time-
    better yet, put a positive spin on this...say something like "I'd rather start fresh, not under pressure to accept a different animal, & I want to be able to tell my friends
    that you were entirely fair & ethical with me, and gave me a full refund when this problem was noticed."
    I think I am going to take him to an experienced herp vet. I'll have to see what the pricing is. I don't want to refund him because it's so hard to find snakes in my area, older ones at least, the place I got him from is the only reptile store nearby. Also, no, I haven't seen any mites so far.
    Last edited by Countach; 07-29-2019 at 05:17 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I would either ask the store to pay for the vet, or have them treat it until its healthy. If neither of those would work out I would get a refund.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-29-2019),Countach (07-29-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Countach View Post
    I think I am going to take him to an experienced herp vet. I'll have to see what the pricing is. I don't want to refund him because it's so hard to find snakes in my area, older ones at least, the place I got him from is the only reptile store nearby. Also, no, I haven't seen any mites so far.
    Mind if I ask what general area you're in? (you can PM if you'd rather not say here) You do realize that most good breeders ship snakes by air? I know it's really nice
    to be able to see a snake in person first, before buying, but problems like this are what you run into as a trade-off. I've gotten some snakes from pet stores many years
    ago when I first got into snakes, but many more came from breeders, both online & local pick-up after Expo. Many breeders do sell yearlings that they've held back
    as possible future breeders etc. -you just have to ask. But, it's your call.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you & this snake...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    I would either ask the store to pay for the vet, or have them treat it until its healthy. If neither of those would work out I would get a refund.
    I don't believe they didn't already know it's sick, & since they said they have medicine for it & offered to treat it, I'd also bet they've already treated it, & the
    infection probably returned.

That's another thing...if YOU take the snake to the vet, you should know WHAT the snake has already been given, as additional treatments can be harmful (hard on the
    snake's liver). Antibiotics are not 100% safe for reptiles...being given the wrong ones or being given them incorrectly can cause resistant germs, making success less
    likely. Repeated treatments with different antibiotics are not without risks for the snake. It's possible that if they dose it again, it may seem to clear up for a while,
    only for the infection to return again later...when you're stuck with him. Just saying... Hope I'm wrong.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Countach (07-29-2019)

Thanks

Ok, I will ask them if he's been treated before and see if they respond.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Countach For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-29-2019)

Thanks

They just responded, said that he's had no previous medications. Taking him to the vet Wednesday.
    Last edited by Countach; 07-29-2019 at 10:14 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Countach For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-29-2019)

Thanks
    Good luck...please do keep us posted.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Countach (07-29-2019)

Thanks

Well I did a little research on caring for a snake that has an RI, and you're right, it seems pretty complicated. Probably too complicated for someone brand new to snakes like I am, so, I am going to get a refund for the snake and then ask some breeders if they have any yearlings they'd be willing to sell.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Countach For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-30-2019)

Thanks
    I think this is for the best...& for doing research...it really does pay off.

The thing is, if you went against the store's advice & took him to the vet on your own, they'd have legally washed their hands of him, & he might not have gotten well.
    Considering the fact that they sold you a sick snake, I also wouldn't really take their word for it that "he's NEVER been medicated" by them previously... Just saying.
    Not every seller is honest, sadly.

From all that you've done up to this point, I think you're going to be a very good snake owner...so I hate to see you start off with a difficult (sick) snake- like I did, years ago.

One thing...it's absolutely ESSENTIAL that you completely disinfect the cage you've had him in, well before getting any new snake. That means: throw out anything that
    is porous, & you might as well give that cork bark to the store when you return him...it wouldn't be safe to use with the next occupant...it could spread whatever he has.
    So anything like paper, wood (branches, tunnels, hides etc.), cork, cardboard must be thrown away...so sorry.

Anything plastic, metal, rock, or glass can be washed (soap & water), then disinfected with multiple products: ammonia (follow instructions, you need GOOD ventilation!),
    & at least one of the following- F10, chlorhexidine/Nolvasan, rubbing alcohol (also nasty to breathe), diluted bleach (very nasty & not necessary if you used ammonia).
    NONE of these should be mixed together, be sure you rinse the cage & accessories very well between all applications. OK?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Countach (07-30-2019)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast