Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,829

1 members and 2,828 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Thanks

Re: Year-old corn snake

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I think this is for the best...& for doing research...it really does pay off.

The thing is, if you went against the store's advice & took him to the vet on your own, they'd have legally washed their hands of him, & he might not have gotten well.
    Considering the fact that they sold you a sick snake, I also wouldn't really take their word for it that "he's NEVER been medicated" by them previously... Just saying.
    Not every seller is honest, sadly.

From all that you've done up to this point, I think you're going to be a very good snake owner...so I hate to see you start off with a difficult (sick) snake- like I did, years ago.

One thing...it's absolutely ESSENTIAL that you completely disinfect the cage you've had him in, well before getting any new snake. That means: throw out anything that
    is porous, & you might as well give that cork bark to the store when you return him...it wouldn't be safe to use with the next occupant...it could spread whatever he has.
    So anything like paper, wood (branches, tunnels, hides etc.), cork, cardboard must be thrown away...so sorry.

Anything plastic, metal, rock, or glass can be washed (soap & water), then disinfected with multiple products: ammonia (follow instructions, you need GOOD ventilation!),
    & at least one of the following- F10, chlorhexidine/Nolvasan, rubbing alcohol (also nasty to breathe), diluted bleach (very nasty & not necessary if you used ammonia).
    NONE of these should be mixed together, be sure you rinse the cage & accessories very well between all applications. OK?
    Yep I will start cleaning everything later today after I return him! Do you know of any good breeders I might check out?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Countach View Post
    Yep I will start cleaning everything later today after I return him! Do you know of any good breeders I might check out?
    Not off-hand I don't...it's been a few years since I considered adding any snakes. If I were you, I'd start a thread asking for suggestions here, then check them out.
    There is also a CornSnakes.com forum that might have more- or other- suggestions. Take your time...check multiple photos, ask questions & verify reputations.

Also, there's several members here with LOTS of corn snakes...check the threads in the corn snake "forum"-they shouldn't be too hard to find.

So the store mgr. has now agreed to take back the snake & give you a refund? -Some will try to brush you off but when you persist,they co-operate ...good job!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-30-2019 at 04:55 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Countach (07-30-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

If you use Facebook, there is a Feedback and Inquiry group for reptiles there that you can search. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rept...kandInquiries/

If you see a breeder with animals you like (on morphmarket or anywhere else), search the name and see if they have reviews. If there are bad reviews, you can avoid them, or mixed and you can evaluate yourself based on the contents of the reviews. If they're absent in the group it isn't necessarily a bad thing, and you can post asking for opinions and people usually can chime in good vs bad then.

Alternatively, you can search by species in the search bar also and look at "good guy" reviews for breeders of the species if you need help finding names to look into.

I believe there is still a similar board on the FaunaClassifieds forum (it went paywall at one point, but I think it is free again right now?).

I got one of my corns from Snakess n Lizzards and had a good experience with them, but I almost always purchase in person at local expos, so I have not ordered online for snakes before. https://www.facebook.com/SnakessNLizzards/

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-30-2019),Countach (07-30-2019)

Thanks
    All great suggestions. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Of the 5 corn snakes I still have, one was bred by me & the other 4 came from a private party who advertised online, but it's been a long time & corns were not
    his main thing anyway...I'd rather you rely on current (more recent) recommendations.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Countach (07-30-2019)

Thanks

Ok, thanks for the advice!

Thanks

My new snake got delivered today! He hasn't eaten in over a week, but I don't want to feed him since he just got here. How long should I wait to feed him?

Thanks

My new snake got delivered today! He hasn't eaten in over a week, but I don't want to feed him since he just got here. How long should I wait to feed him?
    He was air-shipped to you? May I suggest that first you start a new thread for this? One with a few more details, age/size of snake...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-02-2019 at 01:23 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Countach (08-02-2019)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345