Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,553

1 members and 1,552 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Hatchling Burmese help.

I recently purchased two Burmese pythons from a local “breeder” right at a week ago. I put breeder in quotations, because you’d think anyone calling themselves a breeder wouldn’t release snakes to someone without them having their first shed and a few meals. I’m already beating myself up for not being more thorough with my questions with him before I made the purchase.

The granite I purchased from him took its first meal with me no problem, the albino however just hissed and continued to strike at the meal in a defensive way, never grabbing the prey item and coiling. I messaged the breeder and he informed me that the granite had shed and taken two meals from him, but the albino he sold me hadn’t had it’s first shed or first meal. These snakes are just at a few weeks old. I’ve got them both on moist reptichip with 70% humidity. Is there anything else I can do other than try to wait out the albinos first shed? When should I start to be concerned about it not shedding? I’m also going to move it into a much smaller tub, let it settle in there for a few days, and then offer another prey item. Any other advice or tips would be much appreciated. Still pissed at myself for not doing my due diligence on these snakes. First and last time I’ll make this mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    How old is the albino? Should it have had its first shed yet? If it's so young it hadn't shed yet it should never have been sold, or at least not to someone with no experience.

I would leave it alone in a proper setup for a week and see if it starts a shed cycle. Fortunately being albino you'll see the signs of shed, like pink belly, very easily.

When you do feed you may have to leave a live rat fuzzy or pup overnight with it. Those are too small to hurt the snake.

Thanks

Re: Hatchling Burmese help.

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    How old is the albino? Should it have had its first shed yet? If it's so young it hadn't shed yet it should never have been sold, or at least not to someone with no experience.

I would leave it alone in a proper setup for a week and see if it starts a shed cycle. Fortunately being albino you'll see the signs of shed, like pink belly, very easily.

When you do feed you may have to leave a live rat fuzzy or pup overnight with it. Those are too small to hurt the snake.
    I have plenty of experience, I’ve been keeping snakes of various species for over 20 years. I’ve just never been in a situation where someone has sold me a snake that hasn’t had it’s first shed and first few meals. My fault for not asking the right questions from the seller this time around, and the sellers fault for being an irresponsible breeder.

The albino and the granite were both left alone for a full week when brought home, and offered their first meal after the week. I left the fuzzy in there with it for several hours after it showed no interest in the prey item when it was presented with tongs. It just struck at the prey item defensively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigDaddyVader85 For This Useful Post:

Team Slytherin (07-28-2019)