Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,847

5 members and 2,842 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

UPDATE on my escaped girl and help needed with feeding

Hi everyone!

I posted around a month ago when my new adult BP escaped and received so much great advice which led to her safe return! I promised I'd post an update. I had been waiting to post a 'Hooray, she's eating!' update but we're not quite there yet.

Things are definitely going in the right direction. I've made some improvements to her enclosure and left her completely alone apart from food offerings every 10 day-2 weeks so she can settle. I have noticed a distinct positive change in her behaviour the last few weeks. She sleeps most of the day then comes out like clockwork around 10.30pm for a slither and a sit. She seems calm and relaxed in her enclosure. I noticed her soaking a couple of times last week and then spotted a mane of skin sticking up. Left her to it overnight and found a perfect full shed in the morning. That made me happy!

She seemed even more curious and explorative after her shed so I tried offering and she seemed very interested. I thought she might strike but unfortunately not. She seemed more interested in exploring outside of her enclosure. I offer F/T large weaned warmed up with a hairdryer (these are what she's always eaten). It's been 10 weeks since I got her now but only 4 weeks since her escape which some users on here pointed out would probably set her back. She was probably in shed for a couple of those weeks but she does seem more settled.

Here in England, we are only supposed to offer live rodents if the snake is at risk. I think she's probably lost some weight but not enough to be that worried about. I'll share some photos below (sorry about the low-light quality) and enclosure info and please let me know anything I might be missing! I have ordered a third hide which is smaller in case security is an issue, but other than that, I'm not sure where to go next. Thanks everyone!

4x2x2 wooden viv // komodo coconut terrain // warm and cool hide (the rainbow one is full of moss and other clutter so she can only get in on one side; this is the hide she was using before and appears to be her favourite as she's almost always in it) // central CHE and UTH on one side // temps 78-80 and 88-92 // humidity 60 // moss, fake leaves, plants, natural bits and a vine for clutter // x-large exoterra water dish

Photos:
    https://imgur.com/a/UdPYmSm

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    I think you'll just have to be patient...I can't see that you're doing anything wrong, it's just that some re-homed adult BPs can take longer to settle in, since they've
    lived "elsewhere" longer & I presume are more confused/frightened now, wondering where the "world they once knew went to?". Then since she escaped, that was
    a set-back too...once a snake escapes for a while, they may not be terribly content to be caged again, just as if you'd gotten a wild-caught snake. It's a bit like once
    you're an adult & living in your own apartment & with your own social world, you suddenly were forced to go home to your parents house & stay in your room...
    You'd find it hard to be contented, right?

Not all snakes want to eat immediately after a shed...wait until she emerges at her usual time (10:30 PM) to be ready & offer the next meal. Dim the lights & try to
    blend in...she sounds pretty shy. If she's been taking F/T all this time, I wouldn't go to live prey now...stay the course.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)