Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,299

2 members and 3,297 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Help? Probing problem.

I’ve had my snake for 5 years. She is five years old. I got her when she was just a hatchling from a reputable breeder in my city. Sold to me as a female. I asked them at the time how they sexed her they told me they popped her (which is easy to do on hatchlings). But I plan to breed her at some point. She weighs around 2000g. I probed her just to be sure and I accidentally used a small probe and probed a little deeper on one side than the other. The other one probed shallow only around 4 scales. The other one confused me around 5 scales... but when I used a bigger probe they were the same depth. So then I tried popping. She was relaxed and I got no hemipens. Some people say it’s easy to pop adults once you get the hang of it and others say it’s difficult. Ahhhh I don’t know what to do. I mean could I bring her to the vet and get a blood test or ultrasound? I feel worried she’s actually male. But now I’m very confused? Using the larger probe it’s the same depth but using a smaller one it’s different. I don’t understandddd. Also I’ve never seen sperm plugs as long as I’ve owned her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Help? Probing problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Medduussa View Post
    I got her when she was just a hatchling from a reputable breeder in my city. Sold to me as a female.
    Mistakes by reputable breeders are uncommon--online sales = completely different story.

I pop hatchlings for the first few weeks-I find it is fairly reliable during this age. I probe past a few months old. A probe that is too small has the potential to reach further into the tail tip. An inappropriately small sized probe will act like a spear and pierce through tissue and will also give you an inaccurate reading (and will injure the snake to some extent).

Based on your description it sounds like all evidence gathered indicates female.
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-27-2019),Medduussa (07-27-2019)

Thanks

Honestly popping is the easiest and realistically the most effective and safest less stressful. All u need is one hand u dont need to bend anything or pull anything or roll anything its litterally as simple as pressing right below the vent with a finger on the back side to give u something to push against. Its honestly best to get good with a male because u know for sure if ur doing it right. Once u get it, its easy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tmacsballs For This Useful Post:

Medduussa (08-11-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tmacsballs View Post
    Honestly popping is the easiest and realistically the most effective and safest less stressful. All u need is one hand u dont need to bend anything or pull anything or roll anything its litterally as simple as pressing right below the vent with a finger on the back side to give u something to push against. Its honestly best to get good with a male because u know for sure if ur doing it right. Once u get it, its easy.
    I agree with you, I’ve been practicing on my female because I don’t have a male nor do I know where I could practice on one. But I’m pretty sure I’m doing it right on my female anyways. I’m 99% positive a hemipene would have made an appearance by now there’s no way she could hold one in. I think I got a good technique because her tiny little scent glands come out along with a bit of flesh but no hemipenes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk