Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,732

1 members and 2,731 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Senior Irian Jaya Python Help!

Hi all, new to the forum. I acquired an old Irian Jaya that seems healthy to me (I am no expert), but he seems to not be moving from his basking spot or around at all, which is extremely worrying. He's in a bin I fabricated with a lot of holes and two vents on each end for better air flow. The temp I am getting in the basking spot is around 91* and around 77* on the cooler side of the enclosure. He has water, the humidity is reading about 56-62% on two different gauges...He has one hide on the hot side, but it is sort of next to the basking spot. There is also a hide I made on the cool side that is a little less private, but cork bark covered, with some mopani wood and plants overhanging it.

I've only had him about five days and the first couple days the heat was way off due to inaccurate readings I was taking from an UTH that were not translating to his actual body heat all the way. Realized the mat was not strong enough and switched to the basking bulb. Yesterday when I switched to that bulb he moved around for the first time to explore the new plants I added and found the cooler hide. That was very promising, but today since I left for work and up until now, he has been under the heat. I don't get it. I have a heat gun I got (I do realize there could be a couple degree give or take with that) to make sure his spot was the right temp.

Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks for any support.

Edit: I have not taken him out yet or fed him so I could give him about a week to acclimate. The bin is one of those thick black ones from Home Depot with the yellow lids. I cut out an 8x16 hold and Gorilla Taped a 5.5 gallon reptile lid to the top very cleanly so the light would work and I also have a 50w blue heat bulb I started using last night as well.
    Last edited by Cee Jay; 07-26-2019 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Update

Thanks

Re: Senior Irian Jaya Python Help!

After some research and some confusion, I found out I was given wrong information on the species. This is Morelia Spilota Variegata. Research shows that the basking spot can/should be anywhere from 95-100 degrees, so I upped the wattage of my basking lamp and will give that a go tomorrow. Didn't want to waste anybody's time replying about the wrong type of snake. If anybody has any personal experience with this type I would love to hear what is working for you so I can make sure this guy gets the best care possible. Cheers.