Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,779

1 members and 2,778 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Need advice on Albino Burmese Python (first one)

Ok, so I bought an Albino Burmese Python 4 weeks and 5 days ago. It's a year old but only 4 feet because previous owner only fed him twice a week. His first meal was a mouse after i got him because i couldn't get a rat and was eager to watch him feed. Previous owner told me not to do that so next week i got him a rat. That rat bit my snake but my snake did eat it. Next week i tried freshly killed, which my snake did eat but it took him about 30 minutes till he started. This week, yesterday, I gave him another freshly killed rat but he wouldn't eat it. Left it in his enclosure for a little over an hour and nothing. He slithered around it 2 different times but ended up going back to his hide. Hes been fussy since. I gave him a bath last night and he pooped in my bath and i also realized this morning his color is a lot lighter then when I bought him and his belly is light pink which most places I read say it's either because their about to shed or their getting to hot underneath but I manage his temp very well so my question is, should i be worried or do you (whoever reads this) think that he didnt eat because hes about to shed and hadn't pooped yet or what?? I feel like I may over worry a bit because this is my first snake and I love him to death and just want to make sure hes ok.

Thanks

Re: Need advice on Albino Burmese Python (first one)

Hey there, a little information on your setup could be very helpful for us

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

"​Normal is just a setting on the washing machine..."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Avsha531 For This Useful Post:

Alexiel03 (07-26-2019)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Avsha531 View Post
    Hey there, a little information on your setup could be very helpful for us

Agreed, set up humidity and temps would be helpful. My big female went off food when she was younger because her temps were a tad too high. After I adjusted it she was taking food again.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

Thanks

I have a 40 gallon tank. A heat pad underneath that stays between 89 and 92. The thermostat is placed directly on top of glass inside the tank where heater pad is. I keep humidity at 60 but since ive thought he was about to shed i bumped it up to 70. I use Eco Earth Loose Coconut Fiber Substrate. And the tank has a slide on mesh top. I have a seperate thermostat to regulate room temp and room temp usually is between 78 and 80. Been trying to keep that up while allowing for some fresh air. Theres no way it could be because didnt poop yet or because he may be getting ready to shed? Or both?

Thanks

Oh dear.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Team Slytherin For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (07-26-2019),Toad37 (07-26-2019)

Thanks

Very helpful

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BurmesePython View Post
    I have a 40 gallon tank. A heat pad underneath that stays between 89 and 92. The thermostat is placed directly on top of glass inside the tank where heater pad is. I keep humidity at 60 but since ive thought he was about to shed i bumped it up to 70. I use Eco Earth Loose Coconut Fiber Substrate. And the tank has a slide on mesh top. I have a seperate thermostat to regulate room temp and room temp usually is between 78 and 80. Been trying to keep that up while allowing for some fresh air. Theres no way it could be because didnt poop yet or because he may be getting ready to shed? Or both?
    Ok so a couple things here:

It is highly suggested to sandwich the thermostat probe between the UTH and the glass, so the probe is on the outside of the tank. Leaving it inside, your snake can move it, pee on it, and generally just mess with it in ways that can lead to a dramatic temo spike =burns. Use a temp gun to determine temp AT GLASS (not on top of substrate) so you can determine best temperature to keep thermostat on. Will be a slightly higher setting than temp you are looking to get, that is normal.

A 40 gallon is really not gonna last very long for a burm, especially if it's already 4 ft. Also, a burm can very easily get out of those sliding mesh tops if you're not careful (and even if you are). Suggesting a cage upgrade here.

As far as why he didn't eat, it is definitely possible that it is because he is in shed and will poop with the shed and leave you a nice package. But would strongly push you to not put your snake in a position where he can be injured by live rats. Whatever that looks like to you as far as changes.

Can you post pics of your setup? We would love to keep helping with suggestions to give your snake a comfortable, healthy, and stress free life!

1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

"​Normal is just a setting on the washing machine..."

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Avsha531 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-26-2019),BurmesePython (07-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Definitely move the UTH to the outside bottom of the enclosure as Avsha suggested. Also, is your UTH regulated by a thermostat? What you described sounds like a thermometer. I'd suggest a temp gun to more accurately measure your temps. Your snake could also be going into shed and that could very well be why it didn't eat. Once your temps are positively dialed in and if the snake does shed it should hopefully resume eating normally.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

12. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

BurmesePython (07-26-2019)

Thanks

Thank you both!! Yes its a thermometer not a thermostat, sorry. And yes the burm breeder i got him from said get a 40 gal for now but that he would need something bigger in a few months which i plan on doing here soon. Any links to a nice temp regulating system of some sort orndo you guys just always check on him. Be cool to have something that regulated temps on its own. Like, didnt let it get below 89 or above 92 on its own. Also, i would love to post a pic but im not sure how honestly. Just moved my thermometer as suggested and it seems to have a more accurate reading. Thank you for the replies!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Thermostats to me are probably the most crucial piece of equipment for keeping snakes. You can go with a lesser expensive, but imo reliable option, like Hydrofarm/JumpStart. Or you can go with the better, more higher end options, like Herpstat or Vivarium Electronics.

https://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-Ger...gateway&sr=8-6

https://www.amazon.com/Herpstat-1/dp...ateway&sr=8-15

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=vivarium+...l_8konj86aep_e
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (07-26-2019),Bogertophis (07-26-2019)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast