Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,257

2 members and 2,255 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: CHE advice

BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

CHE advice

It took me a while to work up the courage to ask this in the open group so sorry in advance if I sound ignorant. I don’t have central air in my house, I have an window unit in every room in my house. My room temps with my A/C on is about 70-75 cool side on a hot day and on a cold day it’s getting to 66. My hot side stays at about 77 basking with a small 75w light with about 85-90 under the hide on the hot side. My house has very poor insulation, pretty much without A/C my room will be whatever the outside temp is. To boost up the heat should I try a CHE? I have a dimmer and a UTH hooked up too.

I’m worried if we have another cold winter like we had here this year. If I run both the UTH and CHE what should take priority and which should be hooked up to my thermostat? Will a CHE be ok on just a dimmer if I keep it rather low?

I only need to achieve a 70-75 temp on the cold and between 85-90 hot.

I will show you a pick to help paint a better picture.

This is pretty much the average temps and humidity this summer, is this ok? I just want to make sure I’m doing this right and understanding everything well before my baby gets here.

I had A/C and never lived in the humidity when I had my BP, I only had a dimmer and no thermostat and he did fine. But honestly that was so long ago I hardly remember anything about his enclosure so I feel like this is my first time again ever having a snake. I know this is a lot of stuff to ask and I appreciate your advise in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    If those (black thing & white thing) are "hides" they look too tall for a baby rosy boa -& I think you forgot to mention what you plan to be housing...I just happen
    to know. Keep the hot side under 90*.

With the lack of insulation in your house, I wouldn't advise ever trying to keep a BP....having a cold room in winter won't work well for that.

As noted in PM, I've read that CHE's tend to burn out quickly when "dimmed"...so if you use that, it should be on a thermostat (full power probably too hot but it
    depends on wattage). You'll want to test this out with no snake living inside on a day when you're home so you know how fast it all heats up. Re-test for winter.

Again, I'd insulate most of the glass (back, sides & bottom, "leaving breathing room" for UTH). That "may" be enough for winter, but no way I can be sure...just
    as your snake may think it's winter coming if part of the cage is 66* & go off feed. A great way to insulate a tank is to find a cabinet with a big enough space that
    tank fits it...slide it out for access. Might be able to re-purpose even a dresser, taking out a few drawers & installing a shelf. I've always enjoyed creatively re-
    purposing furniture, & you can check thrift stores for suitable furniture that's not expensive if nothing you already have will work.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (07-26-2019)

Thanks

Re: CHE advice

I have set up the additional thermostat and a 75 Watt CHE and temps are much better today. 85 under the warm side hide with 90 at the bottom of the substrate for belly heat and 90 on the top of the hide for a basking rock. The cool side is staging 75-77 and the humidity on the cool side is 45% with 37% on the warm. I’m very satisfied so far. Just have to see how things hold up with no A/C to make sure everything shuts off appropriately. Thanks for your advise!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NewmanLovesSnakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-29-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    Sounds good.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (07-29-2019)

Thanks

Re: CHE advice

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Sounds good.
    Everything is looking good, the thermostat is working very well. It’s accurate and keeping the CHE off.