Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,938

1 members and 2,937 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

New BP owner. Couple questions about humidity and basic set up.

My roommate and I went to a reptile show back in May and each purchased a bp. She had owned one previously and had a 40 gallon glass tank to keep them in. Mine is a Normal Male and hers is a Pastel Yellow Belly Female. We do house them together at the moment, though I may be changing that since I've been trying to do research on caring for them and most people say keep them separate unless breeding. Very few say its ok to keep them together. They have been together since we got them and they seem happy together. Even if we take them out and let them explore the house a bit they will find each other and stay together.

We did purchase an under tank heater to replace her old heat rock and a couple of hides, as well as coconut husk substrate. We have one hide over the heat pad and the other across the tank as a cold hide, water dish placed in the middle.

First question comes to Humidity. I've seen that some people regularly mist their tanks. My roommate says it's unnecessary since we live in Fl and it's already humid. Our house itself does stay around 50-55% according to our thermostat. I do plan to by a Hygrometer this weekend to have a better idea of what the tanks humidity is. The coconut husk substrate is extremely dry to the touch, should I moisten it daily, or is the 50-55% humidity of the house sufficient since they require 50-60%?

Secondly, her snake sheds no problem. Mine however does seem to have some issues. They have each shed twice since we got them. On both occasions mine needed a soak to get the lower half off. My roommate doesn't believe its a humidity issue, I'm starting to think it is. She says that her snake is more active and that's why she sheds easier. Mine is much less active, and she thinks that since he doesn't move around as much, he has trouble shedding. Would an increase in humidity help? I've seen that some people increase humidity during a shed. Or does it actually have to do with his own activity level?

The sticky regarding a bad shed helped a lot in learning how to help him. Initially it would come off in patches, after a 30 minute soak the whole thing comes of in almost one piece.

I know these are probably questions that get asked often, I just wanted to verify my thoughts and what I've read with a community of experts. Any help is appreciated.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    First off, you DEFINITELY want to seperate them. BPs are solitary animals and will NEVER thrive housed together. They may survive, but will NEVER thrive.

I'm glad you ditched that heat rock. Those things are awful and should be taken off the market.
    However, you mentioned nothing about a thermostat for your heat mat. If you don't have a thermostat, PLEASE unplug your heat mat ASAP!!!

ALL HEAT SOURCES MUST BE REGULATED BY A THERMOSTAT!!!!

Google search snake burns if you need to.
    Those heat mats can spike do temps as high as 120° which can cause serious burns and even be fatal within hours.

To follow up on reasons to NOT cohabitate. Where do they go to digest?? Are the supposed to share a hot spot??

This is why it's so important to do PROPER research BEFORE bringing an animal home.

You've clearly got a LOT to learn. Do your animals a favor and do some homework...fast.

These are living creatures who rely SOLELY on YOU to keep them alive and healthy. So do some research and get your setups (PLURAL) properly regulated and set up.

Thanks
    Yeah, I've been doing a lot of research. My roommate has had bp's before so I assumed she knew how to take care of them, but I'm seeing a lot of stuff that she doesn't do or doesn't think is necessary. And that's why I am here now.

I am picking up a thermostat as well for the tank.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nevyn For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (07-25-2019)

Banned
    Thanks

Re: New BP owner. Couple questions about humidity and basic set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevyn View Post
    Yeah, I've been doing a lot of research. My roommate has had bp's before so I assumed she knew how to take care of them, but I'm seeing a lot of stuff that she doesn't do or doesn't think is necessary. And that's why I am here now.

I am picking up a thermostat as well for the tank.
    Your best bet is to get your own enclosure ASAP. And then begin a strict quarantine process.

Forget EVERYTHING your roommate has told you. Just because somebody kept an animal in the past doesn't mean they kept it in a healthy situation or kept it properly. Unfortunately, your roommate clearly doesn't understand the biology of snakes or the importance of keeping the animal safe.

But getting your own enclosure, heating equipment and thermostat should be your top priority.

If you're not familiar with quarantine you'll want to read up on it and follow it VERY strictly. You'll need all your own water dishes, substrate, feeding tongs, decor, etc...etc...etc...

Feel free to ask any questions you may have, we're happy to help.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (07-24-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Feel free to PM me if you'd like. I'll be happy to help you out.

Thanks
    I appreciate the help. I am looking into an additional tank for mine. In the meantime, should I be misting the tank to keep humidity up?

Banned
    Thanks

I appreciate the help. I am looking into an additional tank for mine. In the meantime, should I be misting the tank to keep humidity up?
    Very happy to help...

As for humidity, I can't tell you whether you should be misting without knowing what your humidity is. You want to shoot for 50-60% unless the animal is in shed, at which point you boost to 70-80%

Just curious, but have you spoken to your roommate about what you've learned here?
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 07-25-2019 at 11:54 AM.

Thanks
    Yeah. Every time I read something new that we aren't doing I tell her about it. Her previous snake had a hide, , water bowl, heat rock, and aspen substrate. She fed her once a week when she was younger and when she got older went to once a month. she lived for 15 years. So she's convinced that anything more is unnecessary. Luckily, I'm the one taking care of them, and now that I know her knowledge is limited I'm looking into proper care. I will have a hygrometer and thermostat this weekend to take care of heating and humidity. And will see about getting them separated as well.

Banned
    Thanks

Yeah. Every time I read something new that we aren't doing I tell her about it. Her previous snake had a hide, , water bowl, heat rock, and aspen substrate. She fed her once a week when she was younger and when she got older went to once a month. she lived for 15 years. So she's convinced that anything more is unnecessary. Luckily, I'm the one taking care of them, and now that I know her knowledge is limited I'm looking into proper care. I will have a hygrometer and thermostat this weekend to take care of heating and humidity. And will see about getting them separated as well.
    Ah ok. You can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink.

At least you're understanding the difference between thriving and surviving. Under proper conditions that snake could have lived 25+ years.

My best advice, get your snake away from hers asap, quarantine yours and let her take care of hers.

When she sees how well yours is doing maybe shell open her eyes. But who knows? Ignorance us bliss, or so they say.