Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,266

3 members and 3,263 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Ball Python concerns for mouth rot.

I've had my ball python, Pixel for about 5 months now. (Also sorry if I'm putting this in the wrong category, or not doing the picture thing right.)

The concern I have for her is her discolored scales on the bottom of her mouth, she doesn't struggle to eat. In fact she takes meals down happily. She doesn't act stressed, she never paces her enclosure during any time of the day. Never rubs her nose on the walls or fake plants. She doesn't wheeze, blow bubbles, or have her mouth open. The only thing she does is look up sometimes, but she does it more in a manner of looking up and waiting for food. Maybe I'm mistaken though. She also doesn't stay out of her hide for long amounts of time, she gets out around 8 PM, then explores till 2 AM. (Taking 20-30 minute breaks inside of her hide every hour about.) Last comment about her is that sometimes she climbs the walls.

The enclosures humidity stays around 50-60 (sometimes a little higher like 65 that's because I spray too much water.)

The temperature 86-88 hot side, 70-71 cold side.

I love her to death, I just dont want anything to happen to her. Then again maybe I'm overly worrying about this and it could be nothing.
    https://imgur.com/a/XC2W6cJ
    Last edited by SlenderGami; 07-23-2019 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Picture bootgang itself

Thanks

Re: Ball Python concerns for mouth rot.

What type of substrate are you using?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

SlenderGami (07-23-2019)

Thanks
    I don't see any mouth rot from that picture, but you are that worried get a pic of inside her mouth, that's where you'll find the infection. I honestly can't see anything wrong. Maybe someone else can?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OscartheGrouch For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-23-2019),SlenderGami (07-23-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Don’t see any external indications of mouth rot. However, the cool side temps you’ve described are about 10° too cool which could cause complications eventually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-23-2019),SlenderGami (07-23-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maybe there is a little confusion here but mouth rot (infectious stomatitis) is actually located INSIDE the mouth, so an open mouth picture would be necessary to identify it.

If your snake has mouth rot (again no way to tell here) treatments may vary from irrigation to antibiotics to surgery.

Now as far as discoloration of scales there can be various reason usually the most common are, chin being dirty (depending on the substrate used), natural change in coloration over time etc.

70-71 cold side.
    Those are below healthy range and needs to be addressed.
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-23-2019),dr del (07-23-2019),SlenderGami (07-23-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Don’t see any external indications of mouth rot. However, the cool side temps you’ve described are about 10° too cool which could cause complications eventually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was thinking the same thing...cool side is about 10* too cool. Otherwise your BP sounds normal & healthy (?) for now.

And many snakes will "climb the walls" now & then...also normal, or looking for food, mate, following interesting scents, getting some exercise...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-23-2019 at 01:45 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

SlenderGami (07-23-2019)

Thanks

For real though thanks guys. but also another question.

I'm a little bit relieved with all the answers given, and I'm also glad with the corrective feedback I've gained about my wrong temperatures. I will be changing them immediately.

I guess my next question is IF it is dirty scales would it be best to clean them? Or is there no point too. I would feel like it would cause stress to her, but I would like to know.

The substrate I use is Eco Earth loose coconut fiber. Is that a bad substrate?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: For real though thanks guys. but also another question.

Quote Originally Posted by SlenderGami View Post

I guess my next question is IF it is dirty scales would it be best to clean them? Or is there no point too. I would feel like it would cause stress to her, but I would like to know.

Usually dirt type and coconut base substrate will tend to darken some area on the snake the good news is dirty scales get naturally restored to their natural color with each shed
    Deborah Stewart

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-23-2019)

Thanks

I'm a little bit relieved with all the answers given, and I'm also glad with the corrective feedback I've gained about my wrong temperatures. I will be changing them immediately.

This is why i asked about the substrate. Like the others have said I would bet that's what it is.. I don't see anything wrong with this snake either..

A lot of people use it.. I have heard good things but I do know it can stain the higher whites on the snake. I don't personally use it so I can't say that it is bad..

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts

....I guess my next question is IF it is dirty scales would it be best to clean them?...I would feel like it would cause stress to her...
    Don't bother....snakes are "self-cleaning". And a little substrate stain is harmless anyway.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)