Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,784

1 members and 2,783 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Feeding & Growth Rate

Hi all - I was going to purchase my first order of frozen feeders today at a local show, however I realized the smallest quantity sold was 50 which didn't make sense for me. My BP is currently 105 grams (as of about 2 weeks ago) and my first time feeding with her was a live mouse hopper, and she easily accepted a F/T hopper last week for the second feeding. I have two remaining frozen hoppers which will get me 2 more weeks. During that time I would like to place an order for some frozen rat fuzzies to transition to.

Here's the question - how quickly will I be changing feeder sizes? It appears from what I've seen that most of the popular online suppliers lowest quantity is 25. Will I be feeding rat fuzzies for 25 weeks? To save in shipping I would also like to plan ahead and purchase the next size up. For example, would it make sense to order 25 fuzzies and 25 pups? That's 50 weeks, nearly a years worth of feeding, and doesn't seem like it'll be accurate. (?)

If my suspicions are correct, and although each individual snake will grow at a different rate, it'd almost be nice if some of the suppliers offered a combo pack for growing juveniles of the average appropriate size and quantity. I obviously don't know the correct information, but just as an example, 10 fuzzies, 10 pups, and 5 weaned.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    You can find online vendors who will sell by the 10-count, though you will pay a bit more per feeder than if you order the 25 or 50-count bags.

They go through the small feeder sizes fairly quickly so ten rat fuzzies, ten pups, and ten weaned should get you through the next half-year. You can also weigh each individual feeder and start with the smallest of the lot when your snake moves up in feeder size.

Thanks

Re: Feeding & Growth Rate

Just weighed her prior to feeding at 110 grams. The hopper mouse from Petco that I just fed was only 8 grams. Need to get this order placed soon.

Thanks

Re: Feeding & Growth Rate

Thank you BCR, anyone else? Really need to get this order placed and want to make sure I'm getting the right size & quantity.