Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,129

1 members and 3,128 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Some expos require more self control than others

Last weekend I hit up a local expo intending to pick up some dry goods, and wound up with 2 new little buddies. (My husband isn't much help for self control.. he initially suggested just getting 2 instead of picking one if these, so here I am with both.)

I now have one of my original dream snakes, a male Mexican Black Kingsnake whom I have named Ganon.

And a pretty albino California kingsnake female, whom I have named Zelda.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bodie (07-20-2019),Bogertophis (07-20-2019),dakski (07-21-2019),FollowTheSun (07-20-2019),John1982 (07-21-2019),Starscream (07-20-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Awesome additions! You have no reason to feel guilty...some temptations are just "above & beyond" our control, lol.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

pretends2bnormal (07-20-2019)

Thanks

Re: Some expos require more self control than others

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Awesome additions! You have no reason to feel guilty...some temptations are just "above & beyond" our control, lol.
    Yep, I've seen this breeder with MBKs now for 3 expos and I just couldn't stop myself. Ganon is very solid black for a 15g little worm, he only has a small white "soul patch" under his chin.

Since I already have baby tubs and equipment and my small mouse colony is out-producing what my current mouse-eating snakes require, I think I can justify it.
    "The only added cost is their purchase price and negligible water cost! We already have the feeders!"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-20-2019)

Thanks
    Or as I used to say, "there's ALWAYS room for one more..." (plenty of rodents here too)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Or as I used to say, "there's ALWAYS room for one more..." (plenty of rodents here too)
    Yep. I can always use some more voracious eaters too. My Graybanded kingsnake does not have the typical kingsnake appetite, lol. He is more finicky than any of my BPs even. But he's too cute to be upset at.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-20-2019),EL-Ziggy (07-20-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    Yep. I can always use some more voracious eaters too. My Graybanded kingsnake does not have the typical kingsnake appetite, lol. He is more finicky than any of my BPs even. But he's too cute to be upset at.

I've always admired gray-bandeds but steered clear for that reason. He's a beauty though, & pretty snakes do get away with most anything.

Thanks

I've always admired gray-bandeds but steered clear for that reason. He's a beauty though, & pretty snakes do get away with most anything.
    He's not hard to get eating mice. But over winter despite being size for lg fuzzy/sm hopper mice, he wouldn't eat anything with fur, pinks only.

Now that it is summer, he'll take hoppers, so I assume it is season, the goofball.

He's always been a very relaxed king, so that is a perk. Just much slower growing than other species.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-20-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    He's not hard to get eating mice. But over winter despite being size for lg fuzzy/sm hopper mice, he wouldn't eat anything with fur, pinks only.

Now that it is summer, he'll take hoppers, so I assume it is season, the goofball.

He's always been a very relaxed king, so that is a perk. Just much slower growing than other species.

That's not too bad then...he just wants "fast food" (easily digested) when the weather might turn cold. Very smart actually...good survival instincts.

I've had my share of finicky snakes over the years anyway. My tri-color TX longnose snake (not a natural mouse eater in the wild at all) does well on fuzzy mice all year
    except he fasts some over winter months. Very predictable...& same reason as your grey-banded. He loses a little weight in winter & regains it eating like crazy the rest
    of the time. He's even tried to "catch" my hand a few times! (hilarious because of his small narrow mouth)

Thanks

That's not too bad then...he just wants "fast food" (easily digested) when the weather might turn cold. Very smart actually...good survival instincts.

I've had my share of finicky snakes over the years anyway. My tri-color TX longnose snake (not a natural mouse eater in the wild at all) does well on fuzzy mice all year
    except he fasts some over winter months. Very predictable...& same reason as your grey-banded. He loses a little weight in winter & regains it eating like crazy the rest
    of the time. He's even tried to "catch" my hand a few times! (hilarious because of his small narrow mouth)
    For a while it seemed like he just had an aversion to mouse fur, lol. But now that it is hot out (~105 today, haha) he's alright with it, I guess. He also would not strike and often just.. failed to find it if I drop fed. Nervous eater, so I had to get his attention subtly with its then drop before he saw the tongs. Now he seems to tolerate the tongs, but definitely not a kingsnake feed response still.

This was my first whole winter with him since he escaped at 11g last year from early January until May. He weighed about 85g all winter and didn't seem to lose, but he'd wat 2 or 3 pinks every 2 or 3 weeks at best. Or a small 4g fuzzy once.

The guy I bought from has road based locales he has raised up and bred a few generations captive. When I got my guy, he told me he won't put hatchlings for sale that haven't had multiple mice without issue. If there's anyone I'd trust to buy one from in that regard, it'd be him. He was very good at answering questions and giving care info too. He has leiucistic ones too which are really neat. And also breeds some milks and hognose.
    https://www.facebook.com/StusHerps/

16. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-20-2019)

Thanks

Congrats on the new additions... I also have a MBK and love him. Just an awesome snake that will not disappoint you. They are stunning with that glossy jet black. I guess that's why they are referred to as the poor mans indigo
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa (Northern)
    0.1 Green Tree Python (Aru)
    0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake
    1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
    1.0 Pied Het Lavender Albino Ball Python
    1.0 Yellow Phase Eastern Hognose

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bodie For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast