Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,845

0 members and 2,845 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Advanced species.

Back on Gio’s original topic..

These are the gloves I bought when I still had my male retic and he decided to turn into an 8’+ chainsaw. Never landed a bite from him with these on but I feel confident in their ability to prevent any spontaneous blood donations/flesh shredding.
    https://www.amazon.com/YBB-Welding-R...-2-spons&psc=1
    Come up all the way to my upper arm, but I’m not a big dude. I imagine they’ll reach at least to a big persons elbows or past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-31-2019),Gio (07-31-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    If you want more options (similar gloves) just search "falconry gloves". They all do look pretty helpful...don't bleed if you don't have to.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Gio (08-01-2019),jmcrook (07-31-2019),Reinz (07-31-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Back on Gio’s original topic..

These are the gloves I bought when I still had my male retic and he decided to turn into an 8’+ chainsaw. Never landed a bite from him with these on but I feel confident in their ability to prevent any spontaneous blood donations/flesh shredding.
    https://www.amazon.com/YBB-Welding-R...-2-spons&psc=1
    Come up all the way to my upper arm, but I’m not a big dude. I imagine they’ll reach at least to a big persons elbows or past.

I like the price JM.

How is the fit? One size fits all, or are there sizes I missed in the description?

Also, is the dexterity decent with them? I won't be typing or anything but if the gloves meet your standards, I'll go with them.

A review from a friend beats strangers on Amazon.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I like the price JM.

How is the fit? One size fits all, or are there sizes I missed in the description?

Also, is the dexterity decent with them? I won't be typing or anything but if the gloves meet your standards, I'll go with them.

A review from a friend beats strangers on Amazon.
    They haven’t received a lot of use in the last year here as I don’t have any of the giants anymore. Still keeping them around for when Mirabelle and Leonard are more impressively sized though.

I think it’s just a one size fits most/all kind of deal. Not the most dexterous gloves I’ve worn but like you said, not trying to type out this response while wearing them lol!

I imagine if you were wearing these and got a hook under one of Wallace’s coils you could scoop him up without much issue. Grabbing him off the bare cage floor might be trickier.

Also worth noting that I’m only 5’4” and have fairly broadly built hands and my fingers by no means reach the inside ends of the glove fingers. I say give them a shot and if you hate them then use the free return shipping and try something different.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (07-31-2019),o.r hill (08-12-2019),Reinz (07-31-2019)

Thanks

I'll chime in on this topic as I had an "interesting" interaction with my ball python last night. Some backstory: Kaa is usually your typical BP - I've only ever had him come screaming out of his cage once, and that was on a feeding day and years ago. He's also a picky eater. For the longest time, I could only get him to take live mice. I've slowly been working with him, and have just recently gotten him switched over to weanling f/t rats which are the same size I feed my boa, Nagini, at the moment.

I was cleaning cages last night as both he and Nagini had eaten rather messily on Monday evening. As soon as I pulled open Kaa's tub, he launched himself at the hook. I mean, launched, through the air, scared the bejesus out of me because I was so unprepared for something like that from him lol. He grabbed onto the hook and tried to wrap, but slid off, then hit it again. He tried to hit it maybe five or six times. Every time he would release, I'd gently tap him on the head, and he'd hit the hook again. I eventually wrangled him out of his rack tub and into the holding tub. He didn't strike when I moved him back, just immediately slid into his hide and then stuck his head back out, glaring at me.

The boa, in contrast, was an absolute doll, as she has been from day one lol. Slide out, tap, put in the her holding tub, didn't even use the hook to pull her from the holding tub and back into her rack.

The funny part is that I had originally gotten the hook solely for Nagini and my husband, to hook train her up before she gets her full size, as well as teaching my hubs how to use it. He's not at all confident in working with the snakes, is not exactly excited by how big the boa will get, and this allows him a bit of distance and sense of comfort in working with them both. Once I started hook training her, I went ahead and started training Kaa as well, pulling open the tubs with the hook and gently tapping them on the head before reaching in so they know it's not feeding time. Now, I'm definitely glad I did. I'm not afraid to get bitten, but it's proven a useful tool in moving them around when they don't want to for sure.

Not sure what was up with Kaa, if it was the heat/dryness we've been having, the cold front that came through, or if he was just still hungry. Just in case, I've got an order of medium rats on the way

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-03-2019),Craiga 01453 (08-01-2019),Gio (08-01-2019),o.r hill (08-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    I'll chime in on this topic as I had an "interesting" interaction with my ball python last night. Some backstory: Kaa is usually your typical BP - I've only ever had him come screaming out of his cage once, and that was on a feeding day and years ago. He's also a picky eater. For the longest time, I could only get him to take live mice. I've slowly been working with him, and have just recently gotten him switched over to weanling f/t rats which are the same size I feed my boa, Nagini, at the moment.

I was cleaning cages last night as both he and Nagini had eaten rather messily on Monday evening. As soon as I pulled open Kaa's tub, he launched himself at the hook. I mean, launched, through the air, scared the bejesus out of me because I was so unprepared for something like that from him lol. He grabbed onto the hook and tried to wrap, but slid off, then hit it again. He tried to hit it maybe five or six times. Every time he would release, I'd gently tap him on the head, and he'd hit the hook again. I eventually wrangled him out of his rack tub and into the holding tub. He didn't strike when I moved him back, just immediately slid into his hide and then stuck his head back out, glaring at me.

The boa, in contrast, was an absolute doll, as she has been from day one lol. Slide out, tap, put in the her holding tub, didn't even use the hook to pull her from the holding tub and back into her rack.

The funny part is that I had originally gotten the hook solely for Nagini and my husband, to hook train her up before she gets her full size, as well as teaching my hubs how to use it. He's not at all confident in working with the snakes, is not exactly excited by how big the boa will get, and this allows him a bit of distance and sense of comfort in working with them both. Once I started hook training her, I went ahead and started training Kaa as well, pulling open the tubs with the hook and gently tapping them on the head before reaching in so they know it's not feeding time. Now, I'm definitely glad I did. I'm not afraid to get bitten, but it's proven a useful tool in moving them around when they don't want to for sure.

Not sure what was up with Kaa, if it was the heat/dryness we've been having, the cold front that came through, or if he was just still hungry. Just in case, I've got an order of medium rats on the way
    Thanks for sharing. Being pissy isn’t just for the giants LOL 😂

The hook is a wonderful tool.

My guy is far from a giant but at 8-9 feet he’s plenty for my skill level.

He should not be over 9-9.5 feet long

BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post

I’m seriously starting to feel like men are the minority in this group and it’s great lol it’s awesome to see a woman teaching her husband not to be afraid of snakes.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NewmanLovesSnakes For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-04-2019)

Thanks

My male retic who is the most active of my three snakes, definitely has behavior changes with the weather fronts. Low pressure systems make him grumpy and wanting to stay put. Hi pressure, dry days he wants to be out.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to o.r hill For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-12-2019),Craiga 01453 (08-12-2019)

Thanks

In response to our rescuer "Calm"

I second your point Calm. These retic posts are so valuable because folks are recording their actual experiences. Hopefully people contemplating retics will think long and hard before they get one.
    Last edited by o.r hill; 08-12-2019 at 05:14 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to o.r hill For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-12-2019),jmcrook (08-12-2019)

Thanks
    Great Thread, Glo. I would like to opine a little. As such an advanced species I wish the retic breeders would be more like the breeder where my neighbors got their cockapoo ( Not my kind of dog but to each their own). The breeder that they found put people on a list before they even bred the dogs. That way people had to be really committed - I think they even had to put down a deposit. And the breeders had homes for their puppies waiting.

I think I read some where that woman who breeds anacondas does the same thing. I still have the vision in my mind of a not attractive l largish retic squashed into a cage at a local expo. Really not a species to be breeding willy-nilly

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456