Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,977

1 members and 2,976 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Ball python shedding

My ball pythons eyes are blue so i looked online and it says he might be shedding. I wanted to make sure hes ok because his eyes are blue but no skin is coming off. Is this normal or is it supposed to have started happening. Should i soak him?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: Ball python shedding

Ball pythons shed in a series of stages.

1 - dull colors, light pink belly. Lasts a few days to a week typically
    2 - blue eyes. Lasts 1-3 days. This is the stage where they are secreting an oil between the old and new skin to begin separating. No skin should be coming off yet.
    3 - dull or return to normal, eyes no longer blue. Lasts a few days to also. At the end of this stage, the snake will shed and you will likely come back to the cage with a fresh shed snake and a shed skin. (They tend to shed over ight or mid-day when you're away and the house is quiet, so seeing it in action is lucky)

If humility is inadequate during the process or the snake is otherwise dehydrated, shed may stick and appear to be flaking off like a human sunburn does. This is where you would consider soaking/humid sauna/warm damp towel treatments. This won't be evident until several days after the blue eyes have gone away.

It is generally recommended not to soak a snake during shed cycle as it is thought to cause interference with the oils between the layers and may make it a more difficult shed for the snake. (During being in any of the steps above, vs after once there is visibly stuck shed on a snake and it is actually needed)

You can add a humid hide (fully enclosed hide, top and bottom such as a food storage container, with 1 opening on the side filled with damp moss or paper towel) in addition to raising the ambient humidity to 70% or higher until the shed finishes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pretends2bnormal; 07-20-2019 at 12:14 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-24-2019),Craiga 01453 (07-20-2019)

Thanks
    Totally normal! Their eyes will first go blue and then go back to normal, and then the shed skin will come off a couple days later. No need to soak right now, just try to make sure the cage has enough humidity in the first place.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

This is an example of a stuck shed. I rescued this snake with stuck shed and quite thin and weak, but you can use it to see how crinkly the skin appears and see it flaking up in places. This is one that would require help getting a stuck shed off.

This shed was stuck on her for 2 weeks before I got her.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-24-2019),richardhind1972 (07-20-2019)

Thanks

My ball pythons eyes are back to normal but his skin is very wrinkly now is this normal? His skin is also very faded. One piece of shed has come off but nothing else has come off? Is that normal that a piece of it comes off then the rest comes off later?
    Last edited by Max12069; 07-24-2019 at 06:27 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Shedding issues?

They shed the skin anywhere between two and six days after the eyes clear in my experience..

Just spray the viv / tank / RUB well a couple of times each day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 07-24-2019 at 07:10 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Max12069 View Post
    My ball pythons eyes are back to normal but his skin is very wrinkly now is this normal? His skin is also very faded. One piece of shed has come off but nothing else has come off? Is that normal that a piece of it comes off then the rest comes off later?
    They shed the skin anywhere between two and six days after the eyes clear in my experience..

Just spray the viv / tank / RUB well a couple of times each day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro