Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,369

4 members and 3,365 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts

Re: Locks Needed - Quick Question on AP Enclosures

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    It’s buried in an old thread somewhere on here, but Sauzo had his old BP, Dottie(RIP) push the doors open on an unlocked AP cage and escaped for a bit. Never underestimate the abilities of your critters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I believe you...snakes have nothing else to do besides test their cage while they wait for their next "room service meals". I didn't mean to imply that a BP couldn't do
    it, just that I pictured it being more likely to happen with a BCI, mostly because they get bigger and they're more active. Also, some sliding glass doors slide much
    easier than others. I used to have Neodesha (slant front) enclosures with sliding glass doors...when the tracks were clean & oiled, the glass skid easily. Except for the
    fact that I always 'locked' them (with a simple peg in the hole)...'cause I'm just "no fun".
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (07-18-2019),Reinz (07-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Locks Needed - Quick Question on AP Enclosures

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I believe you...snakes have nothing else to do besides test their cage while they wait for their next "room service meals". I didn't mean to imply that a BP couldn't do
    it, just that I pictured it being more likely to happen with a BCI, mostly because they get bigger and they're more active. Also, some sliding glass doors slide much
    easier than others. I used to have Neodesha (slant front) enclosures with sliding glass doors...when the tracks were clean & oiled, the glass skid easily. Except for the
    fact that I always 'locked' them (with a simple peg in the hole)...'cause I'm just "no fun".
    Agreed. A Boa is way more likely to push the door open than a ball python, but even a kingsnake can throw some curve balls haha!
    I had a neodesha cage for 16yrs with an acrylic door and when opening it would often squeal and vibrate the cage regardless of the condition of the track, and was annoying as could be in that regard, though very easy to look into and clean and move/transport compared to pvc enclosures.
    Back to OP’s topic. Spring for the lock. Worst scenario you spend $20. Best scenario you have well secured critters

Last edited by jmcrook; 07-18-2019 at 02:30 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-18-2019),Reinz (07-18-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Agreed. A Boa is way more likely to push the door open than a ball python, but even a kingsnake can throw some curve balls haha!
    I had a neodesha cage for 16yrs with an acrylic door and when opening it would often squeal and vibrate the cage regardless of the condition of the track, and was annoying as could be in that regard, though very easy to look into and clean and move/transport compared to pvc enclosures.
    Back to OP’s topic. Spring for the lock. Worst scenario you spend $20. Best scenario you have well secured critters

Thanks everyone. I'm glad I posed this question. I still can't fathom a snake being able to slide these heavy glass doors open because it's tough enough for me to open but there are enough stories here to warrant getting a lock installed. Hopefully AP can get one installed before they ship.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

If AP can't install for you, you can go for these instead:
    https://www.amazon.com/TDK-TDK-7-Sti...ateway&sr=8-13

I bend the short end of the L and break it off for mine, so it won't interfere with the center brace. The stick-on track stays put very well if you have it clean and dry before install. I've been running 4 of these for almost 2 years and they're still in great shape.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the AP locks. My first one, the lock insert mechanism, the bit the key slides into, popped apart randomly and 2 of the pins are still AWOL in my carpet and it has been unusable ever since. They work, but for the price, I'd rather use the ones I linked above.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    If AP can't install for you, you can go for these instead:
    https://www.amazon.com/TDK-TDK-7-Sti...ateway&sr=8-13

I bend the short end of the L and break it off for mine, so it won't interfere with the center brace. The stick-on track stays put very well if you have it clean and dry before install. I've been running 4 of these for almost 2 years and they're still in great shape.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the AP locks. My first one, the lock insert mechanism, the bit the key slides into, popped apart randomly and 2 of the pins are still AWOL in my carpet and it has been unusable ever since. They work, but for the price, I'd rather use the ones I linked above.

Thanks. I bought something similar to this for a PVC enclosure I have which has acrylic doors. Works great but I ended up scratching the doors pretty good which was probably due to me installing them incorrectly when I 1st got them.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Thanks. I bought something similar to this for a PVC enclosure I have which has acrylic doors. Works great but I ended up scratching the doors pretty good which was probably due to me installing them incorrectly when I 1st got them.
    I can't think of how these locks would scratch the doors, but mine are all glass doors which makes scratches hard to do anyway.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    I can't think of how these locks would scratch the doors, but mine are all glass doors which makes scratches hard to do anyway.

Maybe I installed the locks wrong but I just snapped a photo of the long scratch created by the locks I used. The inside of the outside door glides against the metal lock piece which attaches to the inside acrylic door. Since it’s such a tight fit, the scratch happened almost immediately after installing. Again, it could of been my inexperience when installing the locking mechanism.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Maybe I installed the locks wrong but I just snapped a photo of the long scratch created by the locks I used. The inside of the outside door glides against the metal lock piece which attaches to the inside acrylic door. Since it’s such a tight fit, the scratch happened almost immediately after installing. Again, it could of been my inexperience when installing the locking mechanism.

Ohhhh. Yeah, I assume plexi sliding doors have a much narrower gap. I didn't even think of that kind of scratch, I was thinking about the corner bit maybe catching on something.

Well, I can assure you it isn't a problem with glass on AP cages.

I've got those locks on 6 PVC cages, soon to be 7, 5 AP and 1 from a local PVC cage company.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (07-18-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12