Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,767

1 members and 2,766 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Have you ever been constricted by a snake?

How did it happen, and what did it feel like?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    My hand was, by my Savu python when she decided that my finger was edible. Just felt like pressure.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (07-15-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I was cleaning my Children Python's tank. He is very cage aggressive. After I was picked him up, he is not as snappy but he had wrapped himself around my wrist tightly. Usually he would calm down enough for him to hang out on my arm or I can put him away, but on that day he would not let go. I had to clean his cage with one hand because he would not relax or let go. After the tank was done, my hand was going numb. I waited for about 10-15 minutes with my hand in his tank until he is comfortable enough to let go. If I move too fast or try to unwrap him, he grips tighter. I'm not surprise though since these little guys would spend hours hanging on cave ceilings and branches to grab microbats from the air.

Another time I placed my ball python on my shoulder because I'm an idiot. He wrapped his body around my neck. He was not trying to hurt me; he just needed to hang onto something. Fortunately it was not as tight as my Children Python and I was able to unwrap him. The pressure on my throat was not pleasant for sure (I'm such an idiot).

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-14-2019),Luvyna (07-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Re: Have you ever been constricted by a snake?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    I was cleaning my Children Python's tank. He is very cage aggressive. After I was picked him up, he is not as snappy but he had wrapped himself around my wrist tightly. Usually he would calm down enough for him to hang out on my arm or I can put him away, but on that day he would not let go. I had to clean his cage with one hand because he would not relax or let go. After the tank was done, my hand was going numb. I waited for about 10-15 minutes with my hand in his tank until he is comfortable enough to let go. If I move too fast or try to unwrap him, he grips tighter. I'm not surprise though since these little guys would spend hours hanging on cave ceilings and branches to grab microbats from the air.

Another time I placed my ball python on my shoulder because I'm an idiot. He wrapped his body around my neck. He was not trying to hurt me; he just needed to hang onto something. Fortunately it was not as tight as my Children Python and I was able to unwrap him. The pressure on my throat was not pleasant for sure (I'm such an idiot).
    Similar experiences here- neither snake was trying to have me for dinner, but both were being jerky or not their usual selves...maybe a fear of falling, who knows?

One was an adult bull snake I was given (this was many years ago): she hadn't been handled much by previous owner, & while not mean or trying to bite, she just
    decided to hang onto my neck too snugly & was also tangled in my long hair so she was very hard to remove (to find the tail to unwrap) & it was quite uncomfortable
    not to mention sobering...I've not made that mistake again. (My hand WAS "in the loop" but it just wasn't helping much, or fast enough.) The other was one of my
    large male rat snakes (7') that one time firmly wrapped my hand/arm & would not let go...again, not biting, he was just being a jerk...the usual methods to get him
    to release did not work, & like you and your Children's python, my hand was getting blue/numb by the time he got off. Not a good feeling.

BTW, I have a similar snake, an Aussie spotted python, who is very big on gripping tightly too. She has never bitten me or anything like that, but one time got stuck
    in my hair- "knot again", hahaha! For a while I thought I was going to have to go around town with a snake-bun hairdo. At least she's not very big...but it's really
    not fun when a snake won't let go, even when they aren't trying to hurt us, it's very uncomfortable.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-14-2019 at 11:01 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (07-15-2019),richardhind1972 (07-15-2019),Shayne (07-22-2019)

Thanks
    The most constriction I got from my friendly little guy Crowley (ball python) was when I had him around my neck he squeezed a little tight so all I did was gently tug on the snake and he loosened up. He went from being a neck snake all the time to not caring about wrapping around the neck since then. I wonder if his little brain was thinking "I don't want to hurt mommy so I won't wrap around necks no more.", or more likely he just grew too long and big to be a neck snake. He still goes on my neck but doesn't wrap around anymore, usually if I put his tail around to wrap him more securely he just plops the tail back off.
    Last edited by Valyndris; 07-15-2019 at 08:12 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-15-2019),Luvyna (07-15-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, my arm during a feeding bite from a 2500 grams females, you feel the pressure and if you let it go on a little too long your fingers start getting a little numb. Compare to a large constrictor it's really nothing.
    Deborah Stewart

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-15-2019),Luvyna (07-15-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Have you ever been constricted by a snake?

I had a three foot bullsnake squeeze me when it was wrapped around my neck, too. Had to go to a mirror to find the tail and get him off. That's when I made it an ironclad rule to never let a snake of any size wrap all the way around my neck.

Another time I had a 6 foot Burmese python wrapped about my arm. He wanted to go, and I wanted him to stay, so I had one hand holding him rather tightly about a foot back from the head. He tightened down on my arm and squeezed all the blood out of the skin. It wasn't painful, but I could sure feel the pressure.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (07-15-2019),Bogertophis (07-15-2019),Luvyna (07-29-2019)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Almost 8' boa - holding the plexi door with one hand, rat on tongs in the other, the door slipped out of my hand, she went for my hand instead of the rat (my hand was warmer and the movement of the door/my hand flail). Fully bit and wrapped my hand, going up my arm. Felt like a hard punch and tight constriction on the arm, don't know any other way to describe it. My hand started to turn purple.
    I used my free hand to hold her behind the head, dragged her out of the enclosure, as soon as I got out of the room and started down the hallway to the bathroom (planned to submerge her in water to get her to let go) - she let go. Probably because rat smell was gone and half her body that wasn't coiled on me being dragged on the floor).

Anyways, it sounds a lot worse than it was, bled a bit, some bruising, was all healed in about a week and couldn't even tell.

She very gingerly took the rat from me when I went back and offered, I think she realized the error haha (she was never defensive or bitey, this was the only incident in the almost 20 years I had her before she passed).
    Last edited by AbsoluteApril; 07-15-2019 at 02:48 PM. Reason: spelling
    For the Horde!

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-15-2019),Craiga 01453 (07-15-2019),Gio (07-15-2019),jmcrook (07-15-2019),Luvyna (07-29-2019)