Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,547

3 members and 1,544 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Heating system alarm/failsafe devices?

I had a big scare recently with a thermostat malfunction so I was wondering if anyone knows of any devices that could operate as a thermometer and also set off an alarm or send me a text message if temperatures in my BP's tub get either too high or low (although mostly too high is my concern). Or if there is something independent from a thermostat that can turn off the heat automatically if it detects the temperature getting too high. I know that sounds like it would be redundant but this is a risk I don't even want to exist in the future because things could have turned out so bad if I hadn't noticed early.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-12-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Spyder Robotics Herpstat. No thermometer, won't text you unless they made a new model that can do that. But they do have an alarm when the threshold for highest and lowest temp is passed. Then it shuts off (Supposedly). The alarm do work for sure, not super loud but keeps beeping until you either stop the alarm; temp goes back to normal; or I think in about 30 min, it will shut off the heat on its own.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bodie (07-13-2019),Bogertophis (07-13-2019),Luvyna (07-13-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: Heating system alarm/failsafe devices?

"Reptile Guardian" is a temp/humidity monitor that can send alerts and remotely monitor things. No control, but you would know when an issue happened, even away from the house from how it sounds.

Beyond my budget right now. I've seen something similar called SensorPush from a Google search for it that is similar.

Never used any of them, but it's the closest I've seen for remote monitoring. Otherwise herpstat for control and better fail safe mechanism is the best for a thermostat. (Or if power draw allows for the thermostats, using 2 tstats in "series" with the one closer to the wall set a few degrees higher and takes over if the other fails "on" and your temps are only a few degrees too high which is far less dangerous short term. The other thermostat would remain on at all times while the main one is functional as it stops before it reaches the temp it is set to.)

Just had a new thought, but you could set up a wifi camera for around $20 and point it at a thermometer to be able to check the temp it is reading remotely when you would otherwise not hear a herpstat going off (such as during work or on vacation or other outings).
    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pretends2bnormal; 07-13-2019 at 12:34 AM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-13-2019),Luvyna (07-13-2019),PartySnake13 (07-13-2019),redpandakitty (07-14-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    Spyder Robotics Herpstat. No thermometer, won't text you unless they made a new model that can do that. But they do have an alarm when the threshold for highest and lowest temp is passed. Then it shuts off (Supposedly). The alarm do work for sure, not super loud but keeps beeping until you either stop the alarm; temp goes back to normal; or I think in about 30 min, it will shut off the heat on its own.
    Thanks for the recommendation! Definitely going upgrade to one of these. I'm still wondering if an independent thermometer alarm exists though, since the issue with mine originated from the temperature probe getting messed up and I want to have a backup so that doesn't happen again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    "Reptile Guardian" is a temp/humidity monitor that can send alerts and remotely monitor things. No control, but you would know when an issue happened, even away from the house from how it sounds.

Beyond my budget right now. I've seen something similar called SensorPush from a Google search for it that is similar.

Never used any of them, but it's the closest I've seen for remote monitoring. Otherwise herpstat for control and better fail safe mechanism is the best for a thermostat. (Or if power draw allows for the thermostats, using 2 tstats in "series" with the one closer to the wall set a few degrees higher and takes over if the other fails "on" and your temps are only a few degrees too high which is far less dangerous short term. The other thermostat would remain on at all times while the main one is functional as it stops before it reaches the temp it is set to.)

Missed this when I posted my previous message. Thank you very much, "Reptile Guardian" looks like it's exactly the kind of device I'm looking for! I really need one of these to put my mind at rest after what happened to my CHE thermostat.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    Missed this when I posted my previous message. Thank you very much, "Reptile Guardian" looks like it's exactly the kind of device I'm looking for! I really need one of these to put my mind at rest after what happened to my CHE thermostat.
    Yeah, I haven't looked at it closely, but I wouldn't be surprised if the alert function has some sort of monthly payment. That's what it looks like it says on Reptile Basics for it.

I've done the wifi camera pointerd at probe thermometers myself before on vacation and while setting up cages to see fluctuations throughout the day while I work and found it to work well. I use herpstat, so I haven't needed to go beyond that level of remote monitoring before.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-13-2019),Luvyna (07-13-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    Yeah, I haven't looked at it closely, but I wouldn't be surprised if the alert function has some sort of monthly payment. That's what it looks like it says on Reptile Basics for it.

I've done the wifi camera pointerd at probe thermometers myself before on vacation and while setting up cages to see fluctuations throughout the day while I work and found it to work well. I use herpstat, so I haven't needed to go beyond that level of remote monitoring before.

Ah, the monthly payments would be pretty annoying. The wifi camera also sounds like a good possibility, will definitely look into that (plus I've always been curious about what my BP does during the evening). If I'm not able to fix the situation myself, usually there is someone else around who can check on my snake for me, so it's mostly a matter of being alerted when something is wrong. Although, hopefully with a Herpstat nothing goes wrong in the first place.

Thanks
    Yikes, sounds like it was a close shave. Is Noodle okay?

I'd chime in on the reliability of the Herpstat, as it has options for several warning/safety settings in case of temps getting too high or too low. I get what you mean about what to do if it's an issue with the temperature probe itself, though. The Herpstats have a digital display that indicates what temp the probe is currently measuring, as well as the percentage of power output to the heat source, so I always eyeball the numbers every time I check on my snakes. I've never had this happen, but if a probe were to get dislodged, you'd be able to tell from the display readings immediately - the measured temp would be lower than target temp because the probe is pulled away from the heat source, and the power output would be climbing high in a futile effort to reach that target temp.
    Ball Pythons:
    2018 Cinnamon Enchi Ghost - Ignis ("Iggy")
    2018 Butter Mojave BEL - Ravus ("Rae")
    2022 Albino Super Lesser - Cyrus ("Cy")

Boa Imperator:
    2018 Hypo Blood - Genesis ("Gen")
    2019 IMG Motley - Requiem ("Q")
    2019 Sharp Blizzard - Elysium ("Elys")

Iggy&Rae on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/iggy_and_rae

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedRabbit For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-13-2019),Luvyna (07-13-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RedRabbit View Post
    Yikes, sounds like it was a close shave. Is Noodle okay?

I'd chime in on the reliability of the Herpstat, as it has options for several warning/safety settings in case of temps getting too high or too low. I get what you mean about what to do if it's an issue with the temperature probe itself, though. The Herpstats have a digital display that indicates what temp the probe is currently measuring, as well as the percentage of power output to the heat source, so I always eyeball the numbers every time I check on my snakes. I've never had this happen, but if a probe were to get dislodged, you'd be able to tell from the display readings immediately - the measured temp would be lower than target temp because the probe is pulled away from the heat source, and the power output would be climbing high in a futile effort to reach that target temp.
    Thankfully he is, took him to the vet to be sure but man was it scary. Walked in to find ambient temps over 110F in the enclosure and it was very lucky that I noticed in time and that Noodle wasn't in those temperatures any longer than he was.

Glad to hear Herpstats have those features! A very worthwhile investment indeed, especially since I've read that other thermostats can have electronic failures after a year.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    They sell (some, like VTech) baby monitors that beep to alert you if a room is too hot or too cold...would that work? That's all I know
    about them, I don't use anything like that.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-13-2019 at 02:02 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (07-13-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast