Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,102

2 members and 3,100 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Parasites?

Thanks

Parasites?

I rescue and rehome cats and I sometimes get cats with parasites like roundworm, pinworm and hookworm. I’m worried my snake would catch any of this? I’m not sure but I’ve read somewhere that many parasites are usually species specific (mammals or cold blooded animal) and mammalian parasites wouldn’t survive in a reptilian host. I would like to know if anyone could confirm that? My ball python seems otherwise healthy but sometimes the cats and snakes go in the same area such as on my bed (not together of course but I let my snake crawl on my bed when the cats are out of the room).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    This is precisely why my snakes are never crawling outside on my lawn. In fact, even humans can get some kinds of worms by walking barefoot outside,
    & I have had (& treated) w/c snakes that had worms too. In the case of a large red diamond rattlesnake, he likely got worms by consuming a mammal
    (rabbit or squirrel) that had worms, but it's just a guess...he was really lucky to visit my place.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Parasites?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    This is precisely why my snakes are never crawling outside on my lawn. In fact, even humans can get some kinds of worms by walking barefoot outside,
    & I have had (& treated) w/c snakes that had worms too. In the case of a large red diamond rattlesnake, he likely got worms by consuming a mammal
    (rabbit or squirrel) that had worms, but it's just a guess...he was really lucky to visit my place.
    I never let my snake outside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    It depends on how it is transmitted. Tapeworms which are common dog or cat strays are spread by fleas. This species of flea has no interest in reptiles so tapeworms won't be an issue. Other ways of transmission of other types of worms are licking or eating the feces or feces contaminated item from an infected host (Very common); spread from mom to baby in the womb; eating a host that has the worms (ie snails, raw fish, raw meat or prey common among feral cats); and standing water that carries the parasite (ie Coccidia is very commonly transmitted this way).

So for snakes, the chances of them getting parasites from mammals is slim. Keep in mind host species matters the most: if the parasite enter the wrong host, it will usually die on its own with little side effect to the host. Your snake is most likely to get a parasite from the prey it eats.

On a side note, I used to rescue and foster kittens as well (Before I got into snakes). Most flea preventative do a fast, good job ridding most of those worms. I highly recommend Revolution for young and adult cats as it kills a wide spectrum of parasites and works within 24 hours or less. If you can get your hands on some, or at a discount, it will help greatly (Work with your rescue or local rescue. They are more open to help if you are fostering for them).

My cats sleep on the bed and couch, and my snakes hang out with me on the same bed and couch (Not at the same time). I have yet to see any ill effect or signs of illness in my snakes.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Medduussa (07-11-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I recommend buying all preventative stuff for dogs and cats from Austrailia. There is not need for an Rx there. I will try to find where I used to buy mine. it was a site like Australian pet meds or something.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks