Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,968

2 members and 2,966 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Volos

Thanks

Volos

Been a while since I've posted, but got my first boa this past weekend

Introducing Volos the San Gabriel's coastal Rosy Boa. He is named for the pagan Slavic god of the underworld, though my sister joyfully informed me that his name is also the singular Russian word for hair

I think he'll need a fair bit of handling, as he has already legit tried to eat me twice. Breeder said he was eating a couple f/t hoppers weekly, but I wonder if he was being underfed as he is 6 years old but only 17" and 167g. Any thoughts/advice from those of you with Rosies would be greatly appreciated. First feeding is going to be a pair of f/thoppers tomorrow.

Have him in a temporary tub in a different room from my other snakes and should hopefully have his semi-permanent home properly set up in a few days.

The pictures don't quite do him justice. In person, his greys actually have an ever-so-slight purple-ish tinge to them
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    2.2 Ball Pythons - Super Pastel (Manasa) / Banana (Foster) / Butter Bee (Pancake) / Normal (Chipit)

0.1 Abbotts Okeetee Corn (Koko)

1.0 Jungle Carpet (Akurra)

1.0 Coastal Rosy Boa (Volos)

0.1 Het. Albino Kenyan Sand Boa (Hulu)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to das_nooblet For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-11-2019),EL-Ziggy (07-11-2019),Luvyna (07-11-2019),richardhind1972 (07-11-2019),Toad37 (07-11-2019)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Re: Volos

Congratulations, very nice little boa

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Beautiful snake, I especially love his eyes, they are such a gorgeous reddish hue. He looks so determined to eat you in that last pic lol

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    He's a pretty fellow & his body looks properly proportioned, not noticeably underfed. Males do stay smaller than female rosies, reaching about 2.5' max. It's also
    typical for them to go off food for several months in winter, so I feed them well when they do eat & don't brumate them...they lose a little weight in winter but not
    a big concern, they soon make it up. (I do offer now & then in winter...sometimes they take it, mostly not.)

I doubt he was handled much since he's trying to eat you, lol: many rosies will poke their nose into you just before biting...they are testing, looking for the head,
    so watch out for that behavior & see if you can change his mind before he bites.

Rosies have a narrow gape, so rather than giving them large mice, I usually feed mine 2 smaller mice per meal...it just works better. I've kept quite a few rosy boas
    in the past (& I've bred them 6 times) but only have one left now. They can live to mid-20's. In case you're wondering, I prefer to use Carefresh (mixed with my own
    paper shreds to lighten it up some), but paper towels are best for quarantine, of course. Rosies will do a little climbing too, if you give them some branches- not too
    high or skinny.

Welcome back- hope you keep us posted.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

das_nooblet (07-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Volos

Poor guy must have been hungry to try to eat you. LOL... Looks great. Best wishes to you both.

Thanks
    First feeding was a success

Unfortunately my local store was out of f/t, so I had to give him pair of live hoppers instead. He missed a couple of times, but in the end successfully nailed each one and finished them off with a full-body coil.
    Last edited by das_nooblet; 07-12-2019 at 08:29 AM.
    2.2 Ball Pythons - Super Pastel (Manasa) / Banana (Foster) / Butter Bee (Pancake) / Normal (Chipit)

0.1 Abbotts Okeetee Corn (Koko)

1.0 Jungle Carpet (Akurra)

1.0 Coastal Rosy Boa (Volos)

0.1 Het. Albino Kenyan Sand Boa (Hulu)