Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,819

1 members and 2,818 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    RE: original question-- I wonder if it's hormones that are causing the color change?
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-08-2019),John1982 (08-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Re: Color Change BHP

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    They look adorable.

Sorry you lost a couple though - is there any info on cutting BHP eggs and the results?

It's a species I know very little about but the little I have read makes them sound facinating.
    They're kind of notorious for failing to hatch or spontaneously dying off during incubation. So much that it feels like there might be some missing key component or parameter that isn't dialed in just right yet in a captive setting. It's hard to imagine them being this bad at hatching in the wild. I set up multiple tubs so I could mess around with stuff to hopefully see what'd work best for me. Even the ones I had set up with 0 moisture added(bone dry perlite and sphagnum) released plenty of moisture on their own to fog up the lid where I'd have to pop the top and wipe condensation before it started to drip - water contact on eggs is largely accepted to kill quickly with this species. I did end up adding water for the dry batch after they started dimpling too much for my comfort about halfway through incubation. I think that having to open the container to wipe the lid was the culprit here since there wasn't a separate source of moisture to bump humidity back up once closed again. I have a feeling I'm closer to my goal of hands off incubation with the bone dry ones if I can only figure out a way to prevent me having to open the tubs so much. Maybe a sloping sheet of plastic over the eggs so water will bead down to the side instead of risking the drip would do the trick? Then again, maybe the air exchange of daily egg box opening is a boon. I was popping tops daily from pretty much the first week. That will be something I mess around with the next go around. As for cutting, I think it's pretty much the norm for this species. I personally will continue waiting until I notice the first pips to cut the rest. I might have been able to save the the ones that drowned if I cut a day earlier but I'd rather lose one or two and be on time with the rest than cut early and fret over that the remainder of incubation. Even the ones that had pipped and poked their heads out didn't make large enough slits and were basically stuck until I widened the hole a bit.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

dr del (08-09-2019)

Thanks

Re: Color Change BHP

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    RE: original question-- I wonder if it's hormones that are causing the color change?
    Could very well be hormones. I don't think I've ever seen a color changer that revealed itself before getting into puberty/maturity size.

Thanks
    All 6 remaining snakes out as of today. I honestly couldn't be happier with these animals. Probably the best part of this whole experience is being able to tell myself, "I'll take the lot", without having to worry about the budget, haha.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

Alicia (08-09-2019),dr del (08-09-2019),jmcrook (08-09-2019),Reinz (08-09-2019),Stewart_Reptiles (08-08-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12