Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,751

0 members and 2,751 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,023
Threads: 248,488
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, fishguts
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Questions about paradoxes.

My question I have is, is there any draw back with reptiles that have the paradox? Neurological, kinks, eating issues, or shortened lifespan? Has anyone experienced a link to paradox and any of these issues or others not mentioned?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: Questions about paradoxes.

Nothing I've ever heard of along those lines, though I'm not exactly an expert. I read and watch a lot, though and haven't seen it come up at all.

Eating and lifespan is likely just as random as for any other animal.

Only concern I've heard mentioned anywhere is that in highly paradoxed animals (i.e. 50/50 color/pattern overall), is that there can be concern about which set of genes will pass on genetically when it is bred.
    (I.e. a banana pied with normal pied paradox scattered throughout, is it able to pass on banana and pied or only pied?)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pretends2bnormal; 07-09-2019 at 01:26 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-09-2019),Lord Sorril (07-09-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No there are none
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Paradoxing in Ball Pythons doesn't usually pass on to offspring in a predictable way, so they wouldn't have any defects linked to genetics like the spider wobble, desert fertility issues, caramel kinks, etc. I don't have a lot of experience with paradoxes, but I'd imagine the health of any snake with a paradox would be dependent on it's husbandry and the health of it's parents, just like any other snake.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Cross posting my answer in the other forum here just to provide the information:

I have spoken with a number of people with paradox animals and none of them have reported issues.

The one thing that can come in to play is when you breed them - depending on how the mosaicism/chimerism is distributed within the body the sex organs can be effected. This can be something simple, like an animal breeding out like a het rather than a visual or as a WT rather than a het, or it can also be something extreme, like having an animal that pops hemi-penes but has ovaries instead of testes. The prior has been directly documented in paradox carpet pythons by two separate breeders (Nick Mutton and Wayne Larks)
    actagggcagtgatatcctagcattgatggtacatggcaaattaacctcatgat