Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,892

1 members and 2,891 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Question regarding feed box versus enclosure feeding

Hi everyone. I've kept ball pythons since the 80's with a hiatus for the past 9 years. I had always had normals... In fact my first 2 ball pythons were wild caught as that's what was available back then. Here's my issue...I had always fed my pet BP's in a separate box. I've always been careful about transferring them back to their enclosure and I've never had a single case of a snake regurgitating its dinner. But I just recently purchased a beautiful banana/coral glow and started feeding him as I always have. I've been reading many opinions that enclosure feeding is better for the snake so last night I attempted to do just that. He completely refused the meal. I reluctantly put him in the feed box and he took his frozen/thawed meal within 3 seconds of presentation.

So my question is this...given the fact that Mr. Crawley is completely accustomed to the separate feed box...and I since I get him out for regular socialization apart from feeding (he has never even attempted a non feeding strike even though he fairly young)...should I just keep feeding him in a box or should I go through the process of transitioning him to enclosure feedings. One of the by g drawbacks to enclosure feedings I saw was when feeding frozen/thawed the substrate can stick and be an issue.

I know there are mixed feelings on this topic but I'd live to hear opinions from you all.

Thank you!

Thanks
    You're right that most of the snake keepers on this forum will advise feeding in the enclosure, for pretty much the reasons you mentioned - unnecessary stress and the associated risk of refusal or regurgitation. With that said, it also depends on the temperament and habits of the individual snake. If your snake is fairly well-adjusted and is used to feeding in his separate box, I don't think it's unreasonable to continue with what he's used to, but at the same time, I wouldn't write off enclosure feeding as a failure yet just from one refusal. Sorry, I know that's a wishy-washy response, but you know your snake best.

As for the drawback about substrate sticking to a thawed prey item - a very small amount of substrate ingested is unlikely to cause any issues and will just get passed in the poop along with any other indigestible parts of the rodent. However, another way to mitigate this is to place a small plastic lid (or something similar) under the prey item, almost like a little dinner plate, haha. You can remove this from the enclosure later, after your snake is done eating and has retreated back into his hide.
    Ball Pythons:
    2018 Cinnamon Enchi Ghost - Ignis ("Iggy")
    2018 Butter Mojave BEL - Ravus ("Rae")
    2022 Albino Super Lesser - Cyrus ("Cy")

Boa Imperator:
    2018 Hypo Blood - Genesis ("Gen")
    2019 IMG Motley - Requiem ("Q")
    2019 Sharp Blizzard - Elysium ("Elys")

Iggy&Rae on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/iggy_and_rae

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RedRabbit For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-09-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Switch to feeding inside the enclosure. There's literally ZERO benefit in using a separate feeding tub.
    When I first started out almost 20 years ago feeding tubs were quite common. But they've since been proven counter productive.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (07-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Enclosure vs separated feeding is one of those things that falls under personal preference. As long as it works for the snake and it works for the keeper, either method is acceptable in my book.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (07-10-2019),Bogertophis (07-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    While I personally advocate feeding snakes in their normal enclosure, I agree with John ^ ^ ^ on this one, only because in this instance, your snake has learned
    to expect ("hunt") for dinner in the other location, so why confuse him? We are all "creatures of habit", lol, & snakes learn their way around...in this case, where
    to "find" his dinner.

(Ball pythons are pretty docile...you'd be unwise to handle many other kinds of snakes just before & just after feeding, but with a B.P. you're pretty safe.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-09-2019 at 03:49 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (07-10-2019),John1982 (07-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanks everyone. I'll continue to offer in the enclosure and try to get him adjusted to it. I was really surprised at his complete lack of interest when it was presented in the enclosure.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Re: Question regarding feed box versus enclosure feeding

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    While I personally advocate feeding snakes in their normal enclosure, I agree with John ^ ^ ^ on this one, only because in this instance, your snake has learned
    to expect ("hunt") for dinner in the other location, so why confuse him? We are all "creatures of habit", lol, & snakes learn their way around...in this case, where
    to "find" his dinner.

(Ball pythons are pretty docile...you'd be unwise to handle many other kinds of snakes just before & just after feeding, but with a B.P. you're pretty safe.)
    The key component is that it has to work for the keeper & the critter. It can be surprising how easily snakes pick up on patterns. Seeing it firsthand, it's not so surprising when long established snakes resist change. Folks with potentially dangerous and/or excessively nervous critters have to take these things into consideration when choosing how to maintain their animals.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-09-2019)