Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 607

16 members and 591 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 03:30 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

Kam (39)

» Stats

Members: 68,299
Threads: 242,794
Posts: 2,519,481
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Reptileone76
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-07-2019
    Posts
    793
    Thanks
    205
    Thanked 469 Times in 245 Posts

    Question about purchasing a camera.

    I want to purchase a camera that is better than my Cell phone, the S9+. How much would I have to spend to do this? Can I do it for less than $400?

    I'm sorry if this is the wrong spot for this, but I couldn't really figure out where this would go. I just see a lot of you guys taking good photos, and it seems like my phone is just not up to par.

    Thanks

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

    Craiga 01453 (07-08-2019)

  3. #2
    Registered User tickyyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-05-2019
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    489
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 128 Times in 57 Posts
    Images: 17

    Question about purchasing a camera.

    Generally for a standard “professional” level camera, the body is $500 alone and with ONE lens it can reach $1000 easily. Cameras are really expensive and that’s why everyone doesn’t walk around with a camera. Instead of buying a new camera since the S9 has a pretty decent camera, try teaching yourself good photo composition and play with lighting. Just my two cents

    *edit, you could also buy an old or used camera and depending on the model, it’ll be better than your phone. If you thinking of really buying one, I recommend the Canon EOS T3i Rebel, it’s older but takes really nice photos and it pretty easy to use. I also recommend getting a 35 mm lens (or something a LITTLE longer) because I don’t think you’ll need distance shots lmao

    Also in the off topic cafe, there’s an art sub forum and if you look in there, there’s another sub forum for photography
    Last edited by tickyyy; 07-08-2019 at 11:12 AM.
    do the jah

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tickyyy For This Useful Post:

    Craiga 01453 (07-08-2019),sur3fir3 (07-08-2019)

  5. #3
    Registered User tickyyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-05-2019
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    489
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 128 Times in 57 Posts
    Images: 17

    Question about purchasing a camera.

    But I really recommend learning composition instead of buying a new expensive camera, it’s a lot of money. Phone cameras work best in natural light so use that to your advantage

    I couldn’t add this into my other post cause I edited it too many times
    Last edited by tickyyy; 07-08-2019 at 11:18 AM.
    do the jah

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tickyyy For This Useful Post:

    Craiga 01453 (07-08-2019),jmcrook (07-08-2019),sur3fir3 (07-08-2019)

  7. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-07-2019
    Posts
    793
    Thanks
    205
    Thanked 469 Times in 245 Posts
    OK, thanks for the advice. Would a photography for dummies book be ok? or do I need like a college level book to help me out?

  8. #5
    BPnet Veteran Craiga 01453's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-27-2017
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    9,988
    Thanks
    13,329
    Thanked 9,891 Times in 4,897 Posts

    Re: Question about purchasing a camera.

    Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    I want to purchase a camera that is better than my Cell phone, the S9+. How much would I have to spend to do this? Can I do it for less than $400?

    I'm sorry if this is the wrong spot for this, but I couldn't really figure out where this would go. I just see a lot of you guys taking good photos, and it seems like my phone is just not up to par.

    Thanks

    Great question. I've been contemplating buying a "decent" camera and stepping up my photography game. I'm definitely gonna be on a budget when the time comes, so thanks for asking on here.




    Quote Originally Posted by tickyyy View Post
    Generally for a standard “professional” level camera, the body is $500 alone and with ONE lens it can reach $1000 easily. Cameras are really expensive and that’s why everyone doesn’t walk around with a camera. Instead of buying a new camera since the S9 has a pretty decent camera, try teaching yourself good photo composition and play with lighting. Just my two cents

    *edit, you could also buy an old or used camera and depending on the model, it’ll be better than your phone. If you thinking of really buying one, I recommend the Canon EOS T3i Rebel, it’s older but takes really nice photos and it pretty easy to use. I also recommend getting a 35 mm lens (or something a LITTLE longer) because I don’t think you’ll need distance shots lmao

    Also in the off topic cafe, there’s an art sub forum and if you look in there, there’s another sub forum for photography
    Quote Originally Posted by tickyyy View Post
    But I really recommend learning composition instead of buying a new expensive camera, it’s a lot of money. Phone cameras work best in natural light so use that to your advantage

    I couldn’t add this into my other post cause I edited it too many times
    Thanks for the helpful reply. I've been looking online a little here and there for a used camera. I'm thinking if I spend a few hundred bucks on a camera it will at LEAST be much better than my camera phone.
    I recently got a new phone and I don't like the camera at all. I've been playing with it a bit and like you mentioned, natural light photos are the only ones that come out decent. In natural light I'm still lucky if 1/5 of the pics are even worth saving. With the flash on I'm lucky if 1/10 are worth saving.
    It makes me glad I'm not using a roll of film and dropping it off to be delivered. I'd have 2-3 decent pics and the rest would be crappy, blurred messes.

    Now I've never had any photography training, but I think I'm a pretty good amateur photog...so I'm thinking I would really enjoy working with a decent camera. Taking nature photos could be a fun hobby for me.
    ...life is beautiful...

    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python - Cornell
    0.1 Bredli Python - Fernie
    1.0 Vanilla het Pied BP - Tyson
    1.0 Pastel Fader BP - Dembe
    1.0 Western Hognose - Cosmo
    1.0 Borneo Short Tail Python - Juice
    1.0 Anery Kenyan Sando Boa - Willow
    2.2 Ferrets - Baloo, Johnny & June and Chloe
    0.2 Cats - Simba & Nala

    1.0 California Kingsnake - Django (R.I.P. sweet boy)

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

    sur3fir3 (07-08-2019)

  10. #6
    Registered User tickyyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-05-2019
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    489
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 128 Times in 57 Posts
    Images: 17

    Re: Question about purchasing a camera.

    Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    OK, thanks for the advice. Would a photography for dummies book be ok? or do I need like a college level book to help me out?
    Oh no no haha, look up “photo composition for beginners” and that should help. Photography for dummies would be super helpful tho


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    do the jah

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tickyyy For This Useful Post:

    Craiga 01453 (07-08-2019),sur3fir3 (07-08-2019)

  12. #7
    Registered User tickyyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-05-2019
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    489
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 128 Times in 57 Posts
    Images: 17

    Question about purchasing a camera.

    Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    In natural light I'm still lucky if 1/5 of the pics are even worth saving. With the flash on I'm lucky if 1/10 are worth saving.
    It makes me glad I'm not using a roll of film and dropping it off to be delivered. I'd have 2-3 decent pics and the rest would be crappy, blurred messes.
    If you can, look for shutter speed (idk if phones allow for this level “complexity”) and make it higher, preferably 300-900 FPS. If you can’t, nature photography is a great idea. Another tip for snakes in particular is to put a ceramic bowl (big enough to fit around the snake) in the fridge and then put it over the snake, it cools them down and slowed them


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tickyyy; 07-08-2019 at 01:30 PM.
    do the jah

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tickyyy For This Useful Post:

    Craiga 01453 (07-08-2019),sur3fir3 (07-08-2019)

  14. #8
    BPnet Veteran Craiga 01453's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-27-2017
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    9,988
    Thanks
    13,329
    Thanked 9,891 Times in 4,897 Posts

    Re: Question about purchasing a camera.

    Quote Originally Posted by tickyyy View Post
    If you can, look for shutter speed (idk if phones allow for this level “complexity”) and make it higher, preferably 300-900 FPS. If you can’t, nature photography is a great idea. Another tip for snakes in particular is to put a ceramic bowl (big enough to fit around the snake) in the fridge and then put it over the snake, it cools them down and slowed them


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks so much!!!
    ...life is beautiful...

    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python - Cornell
    0.1 Bredli Python - Fernie
    1.0 Vanilla het Pied BP - Tyson
    1.0 Pastel Fader BP - Dembe
    1.0 Western Hognose - Cosmo
    1.0 Borneo Short Tail Python - Juice
    1.0 Anery Kenyan Sando Boa - Willow
    2.2 Ferrets - Baloo, Johnny & June and Chloe
    0.2 Cats - Simba & Nala

    1.0 California Kingsnake - Django (R.I.P. sweet boy)

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

    sur3fir3 (07-08-2019)

  16. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-07-2019
    Posts
    793
    Thanks
    205
    Thanked 469 Times in 245 Posts
    I cant take outdoor pics with my snakes. Its 110F out here. it doesn't get below 90 until right before the sun goes down. Can I setup lights in the house to try to make the photos better?
    Last edited by sur3fir3; 07-08-2019 at 02:08 PM.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

    tickyyy (07-08-2019)

  18. #10
    Registered User tickyyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-05-2019
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    489
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 128 Times in 57 Posts
    Images: 17

    Question about purchasing a camera.

    Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    I cant take outdoor pics with my snakes. Its 110F out here. it doesn't get below 90 until right before the sun goes down. Can I setup lights in the house to try to make the photos better?
    Yes that works too, try more cool lights as that is closer to natural light. Try looking up “photography light box basics” and you should look up “diy light box.” Trust me this will make your photos look more professional with just your phone
    https://youtu.be/qcjbEdGUwcA

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tickyyy; 07-08-2019 at 02:36 PM.
    do the jah

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to tickyyy For This Useful Post:

    Craiga 01453 (07-08-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1