Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,876

0 members and 2,876 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Question about purchasing a camera.

I want to purchase a camera that is better than my Cell phone, the S9+. How much would I have to spend to do this? Can I do it for less than $400?

I'm sorry if this is the wrong spot for this, but I couldn't really figure out where this would go. I just see a lot of you guys taking good photos, and it seems like my phone is just not up to par.

Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-08-2019)

Thanks

Generally for a standard “professional” level camera, the body is $500 alone and with ONE lens it can reach $1000 easily. Cameras are really expensive and that’s why everyone doesn’t walk around with a camera. Instead of buying a new camera since the S9 has a pretty decent camera, try teaching yourself good photo composition and play with lighting. Just my two cents

*edit, you could also buy an old or used camera and depending on the model, it’ll be better than your phone. If you thinking of really buying one, I recommend the Canon EOS T3i Rebel, it’s older but takes really nice photos and it pretty easy to use. I also recommend getting a 35 mm lens (or something a LITTLE longer) because I don’t think you’ll need distance shots lmao

Also in the off topic cafe, there’s an art sub forum and if you look in there, there’s another sub forum for photography
    Last edited by tickyyy; 07-08-2019 at 11:12 AM.
    do the jah

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tickyyy For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-08-2019),sur3fir3 (07-08-2019)

Thanks

But I really recommend learning composition instead of buying a new expensive camera, it’s a lot of money. Phone cameras work best in natural light so use that to your advantage

I couldn’t add this into my other post cause I edited it too many times
    Last edited by tickyyy; 07-08-2019 at 11:18 AM.
    do the jah

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tickyyy For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-08-2019),jmcrook (07-08-2019),sur3fir3 (07-08-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    OK, thanks for the advice. Would a photography for dummies book be ok? or do I need like a college level book to help me out?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Question about purchasing a camera.

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    I want to purchase a camera that is better than my Cell phone, the S9+. How much would I have to spend to do this? Can I do it for less than $400?

I'm sorry if this is the wrong spot for this, but I couldn't really figure out where this would go. I just see a lot of you guys taking good photos, and it seems like my phone is just not up to par.

Thanks

Great question. I've been contemplating buying a "decent" camera and stepping up my photography game. I'm definitely gonna be on a budget when the time comes, so thanks for asking on here.

Quote Originally Posted by tickyyy View Post
    Generally for a standard “professional” level camera, the body is $500 alone and with ONE lens it can reach $1000 easily. Cameras are really expensive and that’s why everyone doesn’t walk around with a camera. Instead of buying a new camera since the S9 has a pretty decent camera, try teaching yourself good photo composition and play with lighting. Just my two cents

*edit, you could also buy an old or used camera and depending on the model, it’ll be better than your phone. If you thinking of really buying one, I recommend the Canon EOS T3i Rebel, it’s older but takes really nice photos and it pretty easy to use. I also recommend getting a 35 mm lens (or something a LITTLE longer) because I don’t think you’ll need distance shots lmao

Also in the off topic cafe, there’s an art sub forum and if you look in there, there’s another sub forum for photography
    But I really recommend learning composition instead of buying a new expensive camera, it’s a lot of money. Phone cameras work best in natural light so use that to your advantage

I couldn’t add this into my other post cause I edited it too many times
    Thanks for the helpful reply. I've been looking online a little here and there for a used camera. I'm thinking if I spend a few hundred bucks on a camera it will at LEAST be much better than my camera phone.
    I recently got a new phone and I don't like the camera at all. I've been playing with it a bit and like you mentioned, natural light photos are the only ones that come out decent. In natural light I'm still lucky if 1/5 of the pics are even worth saving. With the flash on I'm lucky if 1/10 are worth saving.
    It makes me glad I'm not using a roll of film and dropping it off to be delivered. I'd have 2-3 decent pics and the rest would be crappy, blurred messes.

Now I've never had any photography training, but I think I'm a pretty good amateur photog...so I'm thinking I would really enjoy working with a decent camera. Taking nature photos could be a fun hobby for me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

sur3fir3 (07-08-2019)

Thanks

OK, thanks for the advice. Would a photography for dummies book be ok? or do I need like a college level book to help me out?
    Oh no no haha, look up “photo composition for beginners” and that should help. Photography for dummies would be super helpful tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    do the jah

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tickyyy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    In natural light I'm still lucky if 1/5 of the pics are even worth saving. With the flash on I'm lucky if 1/10 are worth saving.
    It makes me glad I'm not using a roll of film and dropping it off to be delivered. I'd have 2-3 decent pics and the rest would be crappy, blurred messes.
    If you can, look for shutter speed (idk if phones allow for this level “complexity”) and make it higher, preferably 300-900 FPS. If you can’t, nature photography is a great idea. Another tip for snakes in particular is to put a ceramic bowl (big enough to fit around the snake) in the fridge and then put it over the snake, it cools them down and slowed them

Last edited by tickyyy; 07-08-2019 at 01:30 PM.
    do the jah

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tickyyy For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

If you can, look for shutter speed (idk if phones allow for this level “complexity”) and make it higher, preferably 300-900 FPS. If you can’t, nature photography is a great idea. Another tip for snakes in particular is to put a ceramic bowl (big enough to fit around the snake) in the fridge and then put it over the snake, it cools them down and slowed them

Thanks so much!!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

sur3fir3 (07-08-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I cant take outdoor pics with my snakes. Its 110F out here. it doesn't get below 90 until right before the sun goes down. Can I setup lights in the house to try to make the photos better?
    Last edited by sur3fir3; 07-08-2019 at 02:08 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

tickyyy (07-08-2019)

Thanks

I cant take outdoor pics with my snakes. Its 110F out here. it doesn't get below 90 until right before the sun goes down. Can I setup lights in the house to try to make the photos better?
    Yes that works too, try more cool lights as that is closer to natural light. Try looking up “photography light box basics” and you should look up “diy light box.” Trust me this will make your photos look more professional with just your phone
    https://youtu.be/qcjbEdGUwcA

Last edited by tickyyy; 07-08-2019 at 02:36 PM.
    do the jah

19. The Following User Says Thank You to tickyyy For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-08-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast