Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 969

5 members and 964 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aspen shavings

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Aspen shavings

Quote Originally Posted by NewmanLovesSnakes View Post
    I have a deposit on a Rosy Boa, they too require low humidity and burrow, have you ever used paper towels? If you have, why do you choose aspen over paper towels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't keep rosy boas, so can't give advice on proper substrate for them.

I am NOT a paper towel person. These are snakes, not snadwiches. I'm not a butcher paper or newspaper guy either. It just looks so boring to me and provides nothing to the animal. It's easier for the keeper, sure, but snakes are so darn easy any way.
    I prefer more naturalistic enclosures where I can at least somewhat mimic their natural environment.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (07-08-2019)

BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Well, if you're well aware, why did you purchase an animal if you can't even afford substrate?
    This is the kind of comment trust comes off abrasive man. There’s no need for that here, he came her for support not to be criticized. That kind response will just make someone mad and shy them away from the forum.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewmanLovesSnakes For This Useful Post:

Parsons483 (07-08-2019),Wharf Rat (07-09-2019)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Parsons483 View Post
    Ok dude lay off your trying to start an argument now. I also didn’t say it was poorly taken care of either. Maybe a little underfed but due to divorce the snake was kinda back burnered. As I said I only had it for about 3 weeks.

I'm not trying to to start an argument. I'm raising valid points about how to properly and responsibly care for an animal. You can get defensive if you want, but I'm not here to sugar coat or baby people. I'm sharing factual information that may save an animals life and steer people in the right direction and learn from the mistakes at hand.

But I guess you're not interested in that, so I'll move on.

Hopefully some new people reading this thread will learn something.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Parsons483 (07-08-2019)

Thanks

I don't keep rosy boas, so can't give advice on proper substrate for them.

I am NOT a paper towel person. These are snakes, not snadwiches. I'm not a butcher paper or newspaper guy either. It just looks so boring to me and provides nothing to the animal. It's easier for the keeper, sure, but snakes are so darn easy any way.
    I prefer more naturalistic enclosures where I can at least somewhat mimic their natural environment.
    I appreciate the advise, I’ll try both and see how they work and then determine which one works better I guess. Any thing that will keep the humidity down and don’t look too bad is going to be my go to, where I’m from it’s too humid.

Banned
    Thanks

This is the kind of comment trust comes off abrasive man. There’s no need for that here, he came her for support not to be criticized. That kind response will just make someone mad and shy them away from the forum.

I respect your opinion, but disagree. People do come here to learn, and if OP isn't willing to do things with the animals best interest at heart than I will do what I can to correct that and teach other potential newbies.

Bottom line = keeping pets is a responsibility. If you can't properly care for them it's not fair to the animal to bring them home. These are living creatures who don't have a choice. WE have the choice...

Thanks

I'm not trying to to start an argument. I'm raising valid points about how to properly and responsibly care for an animal. You can get defensive if you want, but I'm not here to sugar coat or baby people. I'm sharing factual information that may save an animals life and steer people in the right direction and learn from the mistakes at hand.

But I guess you're not interested in that, so I'll move on.

Hopefully some new people reading this thread will learn something.
    Yes and the points you brought up I have already thought about. And as I have only had the snake three weeks and on short notice might I add I haven’t had the chance to get the new substrate I do have back up heating. But the way you responded was like I was being attacked and completely was opposite of what I was asking.But my question is answered now and I did some more research along with it too.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Parsons483 View Post
    Yes and the points you brought up I have already thought about. And as I have only had the snake three weeks and on short notice might I add I haven’t had the chance to get the new substrate I do have back up heating. But the way you responded was like I was being attacked and completely was opposite of what I was asking.But my question is answered now and I did some more research along with it too.

Ok, look, I'm not here to make enemies. In fact,I've made a handful of good friends through the forum.

But I just get frustrated when people say "I know" or "I'm well aware" without any regard for the animal.

I get it, impulse purchases happen. But these are LIVING CREATURES.
    You didn't HAVE to buy that animal. You could have saved money, done research and bought a snake when the time was right for you and the animal.

All that said, I have no grudge and didn't intend for it to come off as a personal attack. I apologise if it came across that way.

But I feel it's extremely important to steer people in the right direction. Countless people use this forum as a learning tool. Some of which are just scratching the surface and trying to learn about these animals to decide if a snake would make a good pet for them.
    So, I try to make sure that they're learning. Not just reading care sheets and moving on. But it's important to share mistakes as well. This way hopefully someone else learns and their first experience with their pet snake is as good as possible for all involved.

Again, no grudge. And sorry if I offended you.
    I truly wish you and your snake all the best.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (07-08-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (07-08-2019)

Thanks

Aspen shavings

I respect your opinion, but disagree. People do come here to learn, and if OP isn't willing to do things with the animals best interest at heart than I will do what I can to correct that and teach other potential newbies.

Bottom line = keeping pets is a responsibility. If you can't properly care for them it's not fair to the animal to bring them home. These are living creatures who don't have a choice. WE have the choice...
    You can offer the same advise and just choose your wording better so you don’t come off sounding argumentative. Your advise is 100% correct. You can clearly relate a point in many different ways without turning your comments into something that feels like an attack.

Last edited by NewmanLovesSnakes; 07-08-2019 at 08:11 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

You can offer the same advise and just choose your wording better so you don’t come off sounding argumentative. Your advise is 100% correct. You can clearly relate a point in many different ways without turning your comments into something that feels like an attack.

Again, I respect your opinion, but disagree. I simply stated facts and proposed questions.
    If I was name calling, insulting or something of the sort, then you'd have a valid point, in my opinion.

It's a sad world we live in when people get butthurt over being corrected. Why ask questions if you don't want answers? And any which way, I don't recall you being a part of the conversation, so not sure what your issue is...

Thanks

Again, I respect your opinion, but disagree. I simply stated facts and proposed questions.
    If I was name calling, insulting or something of the sort, then you'd have a valid point, in my opinion.

It's a sad world we live in when people get butthurt over being corrected. Why ask questions if you don't want answers? And any which way, I don't recall you being a part of the conversation, so not sure what your issue is...
    All I asked for was people’s opinion on aspen shavings...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Parsons483 For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (07-09-2019)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast