Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,365

0 members and 1,365 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aspen shavings

Thanks

Re: Aspen shavings

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Can't you order from Chewy or Amazon? It would be delivered within 2 days.
    I’m in Newfoundland Canada. And I currently do not have the money to order it yet hence the week or two wait. And it would take about a week with amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parsons483 View Post
    I’m in Newfoundland Canada. And I currently do not have the money to order it yet hence the week or two wait. And it would take about a week with amazon.

Ah, ok. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Sorry if I kinda put you on the spot.

Now please understand that I'm not criticizing here, just trying to help you and your pet.

It's EXTREMELY important to make sure you have the resources to provide a proper home for your pets. Things CAN and WILL go wrong, break down, etc...

So try to stash some money aside ASAP. Equipment breaks, heating equipment, thermostats, etc...break down. So having money for emergency equipment could be the difference between the animal surviving or not.

Also, snakes CAN and DO get sick or injured. So having an emergency vet stash of cash around is vital here too. If you can't afford e few hundred dollar vet visit who suffers? The animal.

Again, not trying to give you a hard time. But that animal is now relying solely on YOU to not just survive, but thrive in your care.

Good luck, please ask all the questions you may have. We're happy to help.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Parsons483 (07-08-2019)

Thanks

Ah, ok. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Sorry if I kinda put you on the spot.

Now please understand that I'm not criticizing here, just trying to help you and your pet.

It's EXTREMELY important to make sure you have the resources to provide a proper home for your pets. Things CAN and WILL go wrong, break down, etc...

So try to stash some money aside ASAP. Equipment breaks, heating equipment, thermostats, etc...break down. So having money for emergency equipment could be the difference between the animal surviving or not.

Also, snakes CAN and DO get sick or injured. So having an emergency vet stash of cash around is vital here too. If you can't afford e few hundred dollar vet visit who suffers? The animal.

Again, not trying to give you a hard time. But that animal is now relying solely on YOU to not just survive, but thrive in your care.

Good luck, please ask all the questions you may have. We're happy to help.
    Yeah I am well aware. That’s why I was making sure the aspen shavings were ok temporarily.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Parsons483 For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (07-08-2019)

Banned
    Thanks

Yeah I am well aware. That’s why I was making sure the aspen shavings were ok temporarily.

Well, if you're well aware, why did you purchase an animal if you can't even afford substrate?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Parsons483 (07-08-2019)

Thanks

Well, if you're well aware, why did you purchase an animal if you can't even afford substrate?
    I didn’t say I couldn’t afford the substrate. I said currently for the next week or so. I wasn’t expecting to need more substrate so soon.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Use paper towels. I would treat any new snakes as if they come with mites and quarantine them as such, and since you are cleaning his cage, using paper towels should help you spot any problems you would otherwise not easily see with substrate. Add a humid box in the meantime if you worry about humidity. I used aspen in tubs and glass tanks, for both humidity and non-humidity required species. But for new snakes, unless it is a shy eater that burrows, I would use paper towels to check for any signs of mites or other illness and then go from there.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-09-2019),Parsons483 (07-08-2019),Sonny1318 (07-09-2019)

Banned
    Thanks

I didn’t say I couldn’t afford the substrate. I said currently for the next week or so. I wasn’t expecting to need more substrate so soon.

Ok. I'm not going to argue. But if you can't afford substrate for a few weeks...
    What are you going to do if the animal needs a vet?
    What are you going to do if heating equipment fails?
    What are you gonna do if the thermostat fails (although based on your description of the previous owners setup I doubt there is one)?

Taking on an animal that was already poorly cared for drastically increases the odds of needing a vet or equipment upgrades.

Thanks

Ok. I'm not going to argue. But if you can't afford substrate for a few weeks...
    What are you going to do if the animal needs a vet?
    What are you going to do if heating equipment fails?
    What are you gonna do if the thermostat fails (although based on your description of the previous owners setup I doubt there is one)?

Taking on an animal that was already poorly cared for drastically increases the odds of needing a vet or equipment upgrades.
    Ok dude lay off your trying to start an argument now. I also didn’t say it was poorly taken care of either. Maybe a little underfed but due to divorce the snake was kinda back burnered. As I said I only had it for about 3 weeks.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Parsons483 For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (07-08-2019)

BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

I personally can't stand Aspen, especially for BPs and other species which have higher humidity requirements. It's messy, doesn't hold humidity, molds, etc...and I don't like how it looks at all.

I only use it for my hognose since they require low humidity. He's able to burrow and it holds his tunnels.

I personally wouldn't bother cleaning the enclosure until I could put Eco Earth and ReptiBark in the enclosure.

Just curious...do you live somewhere that makes it hard for you to get substrate?
    I have a deposit on a Rosy Boa, they too require low humidity and burrow, have you ever used paper towels? If you have, why do you choose aspen over paper towels?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    Use paper towels. I would treat any new snakes as if they come with mites and quarantine them as such, and since you are cleaning his cage, using paper towels should help you spot any problems you would otherwise not easily see with substrate. Add a humid box in the meantime if you worry about humidity. I used aspen in tubs and glass tanks, for both humidity and non-humidity required species. But for new snakes, unless it is a shy eater that burrows, I would use paper towels to check for any signs of mites or other illness and then go from there.
    Thank you. He’s in a 30 gallon long tank

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast