Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,964

2 members and 2,962 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Albino carpet

Thanks

Albino carpet

I’ve just started doing some research about possibly getting an albino carpet python. I’m moving my boa and my retic into larger enclosures and seeing an empty enclosure gives me the shakes. I’ve got a thing for the albino morphs. I have an albino BP, a lav albino BP, a carmel albino BP, a purple albino retic, and a sharp albino boa. (I’d love to get an albino burm, but I already have a retic so I’m not sure I need another 12 plus feet of snake!) Anyway, I keep seeing “Darwin” albinos and I figured this would be the place to get the best info on the differences in the carpet localities and morphs. Are the Darwin’s just a smaller growing animal? Temperament wise is there anything I should be aware of? I have 2 empty 40 gallon breeders so I would be using one of those after quarantine in a tub. Any general knowledge, or advice or tips, would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Albino carpet

There are others here who are more versed on Carpet Pythons. However, I have a 2 year old Albino Darwin/Irian Jaya mix (Darwins are albino while that has not been found in IJ's to my understanding). His name is Yafe and he has a thread.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ression-Thread

He was very sick when I got him (Fedex lost his package which was likely the cause) and I spent months and a ton of money getting him healthy. He is awesome and healthy now.

Many smaller/younger carpets can be nippy, but Yafe never has been. Even while getting injections, etc. his demeanor was great. He is now a great eater and great at being handled. Either way, most grow out of that. I would definitely invest in a hook for tap training and for helping off perches, etc. Please ask if not familiar with tap training and I can post the link of the tap/hook training thread I started.

He is definitely more active then my BP or even my Boas and can be a little dirty, especially if he doesn't have a good hold on me. "Be the tree." However, he's never struck or anything like that. He's like a big corn snake, or other colubrid, in terms of activity, but holds on way better.

I believe somewhere in Yafe's thread it mentions that Darwins are a little more terrestrial and IJ's a little more arboreal, or the other way around, but Yafe loves climbing and being wrapped around his perches. He even hunts/strikes and eats from them. He will spend time in his hides, but at night, he's all about the perches, and often while digesting he stays under his RHP on his back perch.

They like temps on the top end a little higher than a BP (2-3 degrees F or so - I keep Yafe at 91-92F at the hottest spot on his perch), but his cool side is still 78-80F. Humidity is similar. Additionally, even though Darwin's and IJ's stay small, they do get about 5FT+. Yafe is already about 4FT+ and only 260G. However, they do not need a ton of length in their tanks as long as they have perches to wrap around. They will use the space, but I was told a 3X2 floor space, with room to climb, worked well for a Darwin. Yafe is in a 4X2X1.5' with two perches going across the tank. He loves it and roams at night all over the perches and to some extent, the ground as well.

The final thing is, like BP's, Carpets can imprint on a food item (mice, rats, chicks, etc.). I switched Yafe to rats ASAP from mice. It can be tough feeding adult mice to an adult Carpet - you need a bunch. Same with chicks. They can live their entire adult life on rats. F/T is not an issue as they are very willing feeders. They also can handle large prey items relative to their size, and actually seem to prefer that.

Let us know if you have other questions and good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

bhsurf4 (07-08-2019)