Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,243

0 members and 3,243 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Best place for adoption and/or yearling boas

I’m planning on getting a boa soon once I save enough for one. I want to adopt one and give it a home rather than buy a baby that’s almost guaranteed to get a home relative to snakes previously owned as pets. I preferably would want a yearling as they seem to have a better temperament than a neonate or young boa, but I’d be completely fine with a sub adult boa. Does anyone know a better place to adopt a boa rather than Craigslist?

Thanks I really want this boa for its whole life and I want a healthy animal and not have to deal any major *expensive* problems
    do the jah

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tickyyy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-07-2019),dakski (07-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    I applaud your motives, & I hope it turns out as you imagine, but a word of caution: years ago I adopted an unwanted yearling BCI, & while I wouldn't trade the
    experience, you should know that she had changed homes many times before she was given to me, because each new home made her more fearful & better at
    biting & turning off owners. Had she been exposed to other illnesses or mites during that time, her health could easily have suffered, since stress is no better
    for snakes than it is for us...but I got lucky (as did she)- I got her in time, & I turned her around (she quit trying to bite) but it took patience with no guarantee.

There is no one "right place" to find such a snake...it comes down to word of mouth, local ads, luck...let vet offices, pet stores & animal shelters know you're what
    you're looking for, check online re-homing services in your area (like PetFinder). Another good place, though probably higher priced, is finding a breeder with more
    hold-backs than they want to keep. Check classified ads on forums like ours (or Fauna Classifieds, Kingsnake.com, etc) or post your own "wanted" ad. I once got
    some unwanted rat snakes from Kingsnake & it turned out just great for all concerned: the owner lost his job & home & had to relocate with a very uncertain
    future for the time being, & the snakes were healthy (still are), BUT, you never know.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

tickyyy (07-07-2019)

Thanks

Best place for adoption and/or yearling boas

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I applaud your motives, & I hope it turns out as you imagine, but a word of caution: years ago I adopted an unwanted yearling BCI, & while I wouldn't trade the
    experience, you should know that she had changed homes many times before she was given to me, because each new home made her more fearful & better at
    biting & turning off owners. Had she been exposed to other illnesses or mites during that time, her health could easily have suffered, since stress is no better
    for snakes than it is for us...but I got lucky (as did she)- I got her in time, & I turned her around (she quit trying to bite) but it took patience with no guarantee.

There is no one "right place" to find such a snake...it comes down to word of mouth, local ads, luck...let vet offices, pet stores & animal shelters know you're what
    you're looking for, check online re-homing services in your area (like PetFinder). Another good place, though probably higher priced, is finding a breeder with more
    hold-backs than they want to keep. Check classified ads on forums like ours (or Fauna Classifieds, Kingsnake.com, etc) or post your own "wanted" ad. I once got
    some unwanted rat snakes from Kingsnake & it turned out just great for all concerned: the owner lost his job & home & had to relocate with a very uncertain
    future for the time being, & the snakes were healthy (still are), BUT, you never know.
    Yeah that’s why I wanna make sure the adoptee is making sure the boa is healthy and safe, i don’t wanna buy a sick animal cause the adoptee will just be more encouraged to sell these sick animals (if they have more than one they want to get rid of). I’m jus tryna do as much research as possible before getting one just to be safe, and it helps the people who are tryna make this community better. Thanks for your insight and I’ll make sure to sign up for those forums

*by adoptee I meant the person who’s giving up the animal, ik that terminology is incorrect I jus didn’t know what the term was so it was jus easier to say “adoptee”
    Last edited by tickyyy; 07-07-2019 at 08:34 PM.
    do the jah

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Best place for adoption and/or yearling boas

If it were me. I'd be looking for a yearling from a reputable breeder.

Adopting is great, but with a snake that can get as large as a boa, you probably want something with a good temperament, healthy, etc.

Of course this all depends on your experience level. I've kept snake for 20+ years, boas for 2, and I am happy I tested temperament first and have really docile boas (most are - but as mentioned previous, if not treated well, who knows) and healthy boas.

Sometimes you can get a good deal because they have something they couldn't sell, or sometimes you can talk them out of a holdback (I did that with Behira and with Feliz). If they are a little older and established you can judge temperament, health, etc. better.

Many breeders end up with some normals for really cheap or less desirable morphs. If you want a good and healthy snake, but are less concerned with looks, you can get a real steal.

You are going to spend way more on setup than on a snake probably, and there are many good morphs for under $300, or way less. So that could be an option too.

If you adopt and the snake has any health issues, you will pay a boatload more than pretty much any morph. See my thread(s) on Yafe, the albino Carpet Python. He got lost by fedex and I spent $2K (roughly) and months of angst to get him healed from a really bad RI that came on 36 hours after I got him (likely due to stress from being lost and not in a nice warm tank).

Just my two cents. We all help regardless of what you decide.

For what's worth, I adore both my boas. They are awesome snakes. Now, if only I can get them to calm down just al little when it's food time, or they think it's food time . Good thing acrylic doors have some give.
    Last edited by dakski; 07-07-2019 at 09:57 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-07-2019),richardhind1972 (07-08-2019),tickyyy (07-07-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    You are going to spend way more on setup than on a snake probably, and there are many good morphs for under $300, or way less. So that could be an option too.
    I am well aware of this and that’s why I want a previously owned snake as they cheaper (that’s not the only reason tho, it’s jus a big one for me). Thanks for your two cents it’s greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    do the jah

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tickyyy View Post
    I am well aware of this and that’s why I want a previously owned snake as they cheaper (that’s not the only reason tho, it’s jus a big one for me). Thanks for your two cents it’s greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I understand and respect that. Most of my dogs came from rescues or were adopted from people who didn't want them.

I just want to make sure you understand the risks and potential costs of adopting. I've adopted two snakes (a BP and a corn snake). Both cost me a fortune. The BP had an RI and was grossly underweight. The Corn was also very underweight and had parasites.

I wasn't necessarily smart about checking the animals out first though. In both cases, they were literally dropped at my door (with warning).

Knowing cost is an issue was why I recommended something healthy from a breeder (knowing that health is not guaranteed from a breeder either, but with reputable breeders there are few horror stories).

Having said all that, follow your heart and do what makes you happy. I wish you luck and get the feeling you will give whatever Boa you get a happy and healthy home.

Another thing is knowing cost is an issue and looking for a yearling, just buy the adult tank now, fill it with hides, and you will be fine. Boas are pretty brave and outgoing. I have had zero issues doing that with both my young boas.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-07-2019),richardhind1972 (07-08-2019),tickyyy (07-07-2019)