Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,817

3 members and 2,814 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Question i need help with leo breeding

I was considering breeding leos and was wondering if it was ok to put the male into the females tank during breeding season if the tank is large enough. i wasn't sure because the male wouldn't be used to the other tank. also, any breeding advice is welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: i need help with leo breeding

There are a ton of different methods for breeding leopard geckos. Almost all of them work-including leaving the male in with the female for the entire season.

I personally would separate out the male leopard gecko periodically (at least every other week) to allow the female a chance to 'rest'. Because I had so many females I would rotate my breeder males every two days to a different female. I learned fast not to use my hands moving breeder males between enclosures during breeding season: they can give you a nice set of bloody 'V' teeth marks on your hand.

At one point I had hundreds of leopard geckos. I had no luck group housing females hatched together above sub-adult age: They would invariably injure each other-sometimes critically-there was no re-homing a seriously injured leopard gecko. Every one had to have their own bin.

Crypto erased my entire reptile collection at one point (came in on a Leopard gecko that was asymptomatic for 16 months). I have never kept Leopard geckos again-if I did-I would get every one PCR tested-especially if I was planning on breeding.

Best of luck!
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Coyote peterson (07-10-2019)

Thanks
    You can put the male in with the female and it will be just fine. He will take care of everything that he needs to take care of without an issue.