Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,946

0 members and 2,946 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Puffing from BP? [Not hiss]

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Yes they do that, it's quiet because he's small. My retics do that too but it's noticeable because they are bigger snakes.
    Thank you! just needed hear a little solidarity.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moose84 View Post
    i have had ball pythons for a long time. None of my snakes have ever made noise outside of hissing at me. They are not “affectionate” beings despite what some might say. They are NOT like dogs whining/begging for attention or food. I would check his conditions and be on the lookout for RI. I get a little frustrated hearing these animals compared to domesticated animals like dogs or cats. They will only suffer the consequences of people treating them as such.

To answer your question I don’t think anyone should tell you a ball python making consistent noises you can hear is a normal thing. I’m not saying he is sick but he’s clearly making a noise for a reason. They don’t make noises like that under ideal conditions. I have a female that hisses and postures like a champ until she is up and handled. After that there is no huffing and puffing. If she continued I would put her down.

Good Luck!
    It's not a consistent thing, he just does it every once in a while when he's climbing on me, and not every handling session. There's nothing wrong with his setup, sometimes the humidity drops a little, but always adjusted back within a day or two. I think the conclusion here is that he's just exerting himself because IF he makes the noise, it's strictly when he's climbing.

I know he's not begging, that's why I said it was cute but not his intention. I was wondering if it was a noise some BP makes if they're hungry or maybe I handled him wrong.

As a separate matter, I wouldn't say a snake is affectionate, but I wouldn't say they're completely non-sentient like an insect either. They all have their personalities (or degrees of tolerance of being owned by a human). Personally, I get frustrated when people treat all kinds of reptiles as play objects or as commodities that can be collected and traded. Granted, they may not be able to love like a dog, but they shouldn't be treated as lesser. I find that kind of mindset incredible disrespectful to another living creature, especially one that has allowed us to enjoy them as pets.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CCBaer For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (07-05-2019),Bogertophis (07-04-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Keep in mind that our snakes mostly have one functioning lung that is rather long, so when we handle them, sometimes that forces a little exhale, just like if someone
    pushes on your stomach. I cannot tell you that this is definitely "not" the beginning of a respiratory infection, because that's a possibility. If it is, it will increase & you'll
    likely have a snake breathing with his mouth open, also may see mucus & bubbles in his mouth. But it's probably nothing at all to worry about...some snakes do make a
    little noise when they breath (especially when we handle them! Does he do it when he's just laying in his cage?) & it can also be due to a bit of old shed skin stuck in his
    nostril(s) (yes, the shed the outer lining of their nostrils) OR a bit of water in his nose from drinking recently.

So hope for the best, & stay watchful...ok? If you don't know where the nearest qualified reptile vet is located, this is a good time to find out, just in case.

As already noted, noises like this are in no way intentional communication from your snake...he is NOT "talking to you", trust me on that.

Thanks! I know he's not communicating with me, I was wondering if it was a health thing, hungry thing, or handling thing. Also, it's great that you mentioned a snake's anatomy. I keep forgetting they have internal organs because I'm so used to my brain going "NOODLE".

He sheds great, always one complete piece and much better than his first shed from the breeder. After some of the comments I think the most likely possibility is him exerting himself climbing, because he does make the noise only during or after he has bended his body from climbing.

.... I hope so anyway, if it turns out to be a health thing I'm going to be so broke from going to the vet
    Sigh, the things we do for the pets we love...

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CCBaer View Post
    Thanks! I know he's not communicating with me, I was wondering if it was a health thing, hungry thing, or handling thing. Also, it's great that you mentioned a snake's anatomy. I keep forgetting they have internal organs because I'm so used to my brain going "NOODLE".

He sheds great, always one complete piece and much better than his first shed from the breeder. After some of the comments I think the most likely possibility is him exerting himself climbing, because he does make the noise only during or after he has bended his body from climbing.

.... I hope so anyway, if it turns out to be a health thing I'm going to be so broke from going to the vet
    Sigh, the things we do for the pets we love...
    I think what you've been hearing is normal...because it's only when you're holding him or he's climbing on you. That's why I suggested making sure by checking
    him for the same sounds when he's just laying quietly & apart from you. You're obviously a caring owner & I'm glad you asked, but I don't think you need to
    worry about this. These sounds are more noticeable in bigger-bodied snakes...I've been living with snakes for many years.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12