Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,815

3 members and 2,812 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Hi guys! May I have some bigger tub recommendation?

Hello guys! Since I may need to move almost every one or two years for the next few years, tub is a good choice for me compared with big rack system or pvc cages. I currently use http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProdu...=305&section=1 This for my snakes, but they are growing and they're around 800 grams now, I want to replace it with a bigger tub, which I can also enrich the environment for them. However, I checked many tubs in the grocery stores and find that most of them seems not very escape safe, for some big tubs, they only have two latches. May I have some recommendation about bigger tubs? And I see people use binder clips to prevent escape, but how big and how many should we use for a certain size of tub? Thank you so much!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Hi guys! May I have some bigger tub recommendation?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hefty-25-Ga...Lid/1000505547
    This size tub should comfortably house pretty much any ball python for the entirety of its life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hefty-25-Ga...Lid/1000505547
    This size tub should comfortably house pretty much any ball python for the entirety of its life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow Thank you so much! That looks great and has 4 latches! Do I also need extra stuff to prevent escaping between the latches? Do you think it's possible that they're capable of escaping between the latches? Thank you so much!

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    I just picked up a 200 qt tote from WM. Has all the goods: floor space and height for smaller snakes. I don't like to skimp on height for my snakes, even for any that happen to be bps (my guy loves his climbing). I'm not sure I'd keep a full-sized bp in a tub this size, but a subadult or very small adult would do well in this. I prefer a 4'x2'x2' viv for adult bps, and my AP cages are able to be broken down if it comes down to it.

I've never had an escape from a tub, even without any extra precautions, but the lid on this tote is especially strong and secure. I have a hard time lifting it once latched.
    Last edited by CloudtheBoa; 07-03-2019 at 03:26 PM.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    I just picked up a 200 qt tote from WM. Has all the goods: floor space and height for smaller snakes. I don't like to skimp on height for my snakes, even for any that happen to be bps (my guy loves his climbing). I'm not sure I'd keep a full-sized bp in a tub this size, but a subadult or very small adult would do well in this. I prefer a 4'x2'x2' viv for adult bps, and my AP cages are able to be broken down if it comes down to it.

I've never had an escape from a tub, even without any extra precautions, but the lid on this tote is especially strong and secure. I have a hard time lifting it once latched.

Thank you so much! That looks so spacious! So even without extra precautions they can not escape from the long sides (the sides without latches)? That's great! And may I know what substrate do you use?
    Last edited by alice40604345; 07-03-2019 at 03:33 PM.

Thanks

Oh and may I know what do you use for his climbing? Thank you so much!

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alice40604345 View Post
    Thank you so much! That looks so spacious! So even without extra precautions they can not escape from the long sides (the sides without latches)? That's great! And may I know what substrate do you use?
    You can definitely take the precautions, just in case. Some snakes may be more of escape artists than others.

I prefer EcoEarth, whether by itself or as a mix.

As far as climbing, in my bp's first enclosure he had a branch I cut down screwed into his enclosure. In his old T12, he had a basking shelf. My boa constrictors have a few things that could easily be given to a ball python: a magnetic vine (best for very small snakes) and a fake stand-up branch. I've also seen those lizard hammocks used, PVC pipes, ropes, all kinds of things.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

Thanks

You can definitely take the precautions, just in case. Some snakes may be more of escape artists than others.

I prefer EcoEarth, whether by itself or as a mix.

As far as climbing, in my bp's first enclosure he had a branch I cut down screwed into his enclosure. In his old T12, he had a basking shelf. My boa constrictors have a few things that could easily be given to a ball python: a magnetic vine (best for very small snakes) and a fake stand-up branch. I've also seen those lizard hammocks used, PVC pipes, ropes, all kinds of things.

Thank you so much! That's really helpful! And you used heat mat for this tub and it's safe right? Oh and may I know that did your tub's handle get broken? My current tubs from satellite all have some handle broken after a few months usage.
    Last edited by alice40604345; 07-12-2019 at 04:48 PM.