Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 381

8 members and 373 guests
Most users ever online was 3,642, 05-08-2016 at 08:50 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 64,844
Threads: 239,399
Posts: 2,487,482
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, Sleetygrub87
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Registered User rockmissjess's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-03-2018
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Longest holding humidity substrate?

    What is the longest holding humidity substrate?

    I live in arizona... i currently use a mix of forest floor and cocohusk... but still dries out quickly and even with heavy misting still just drys right out by night time... just wondering if there might be a more humidity holding substrate out there?

  2. #2
    Registered User Luvyna's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-06-2019
    Posts
    325
    Thanks
    381
    Thanked 245 Times in 154 Posts
    Forest Floor cypress mulch and cocohusk are already some of the best humidity holding substrates around. Some other ways to boost humidity are scattering damp sphagnum moss (soak with water, then squeeze out the excess) throughout the enclosure and increasing the size and number of water dishes.

    The type of enclosure you use also makes a big difference. Plastic Sterilite containers with holes drilled in the sides work best for maintaining humidity because there is much less humidity escaping compared to the screen top of a glass tank. That said, glass tanks can work too if you block most of the screen top with tin foil.

  3. #3
    Registered User rockmissjess's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-03-2018
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: Longest holding humidity substrate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    Forest Floor cypress mulch and cocohusk are already some of the best humidity holding substrates around. Some other ways to boost humidity are scattering damp sphagnum moss (soak with water, then squeeze out the excess) throughout the enclosure and increasing the size and number of water dishes.

    The type of enclosure you use also makes a big difference. Plastic Sterilite containers with holes drilled in the sides work best for maintaining humidity because there is much less humidity escaping compared to the screen top of a glass tank. That said, glass tanks can work too if you block most of the screen top with tin foil.
    about 95% of the top of the enclosure is covered with foil (screenside) and painters tape on top of that... my temps are perfect... its just holding humidity in this arizona dry weather ughh... they are in my walk in closet to keep humidity in a little longer.. in my bedroom the humidty lasts even less.

    Their sheds are perfect.. its just alot of daily work to keep humidity in... i was hoping maybe to get it to every other day lol
    Last edited by rockmissjess; 07-02-2019 at 05:19 AM.

  4. #4
    BPnet Lifer Zincubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-22-2011
    Posts
    5,272
    Thanks
    2,043
    Thanked 3,201 Times in 2,050 Posts

    Re: Longest holding humidity substrate?

    I used a mix of Orchid bark and Eco Earth very successfully years ago ..


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro




  5. #5
    Telling it like it is! Deborah's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-28-2006
    Posts
    23,913
    Thanks
    5,881
    Thanked 19,079 Times in 8,900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images: 6
    Cypress mulch and coconut cheap (not husk) will be the beddings that hold humidity the best.

  6. #6
    Registered User sur3fir3's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-07-2019
    Posts
    360
    Thanks
    123
    Thanked 210 Times in 120 Posts

    Re: Longest holding humidity substrate?

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmissjess View Post
    What is the longest holding humidity substrate?

    I live in arizona... i currently use a mix of forest floor and cocohusk... but still dries out quickly and even with heavy misting still just drys right out by night time... just wondering if there might be a more humidity holding substrate out there?

    I live in AZ also. Tucson. I use Cypress Mulch and I still have to spray it 2x a day. I haven't tried anything else yet.
    1.0 T- Blood Python - Sangre
    1.0 Kahl Albino 100% Het Anery - Floyd
    0.1 - Human - Nebraska Locality - Tiara

  7. #7
    BPnet Veteran Craiga 01453's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-27-2017
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    8,400
    Thanks
    10,635
    Thanked 7,565 Times in 3,914 Posts
    There are lots of tricks you can use to keep humidity up.

    Are you using a glass tank with a screen top? If so, I'd be happy to help you out. I've been successfully using glass for many years.
    ...life is beautiful...

    1.0 Vanilla het Pied BP - Tyson
    1.0 Pastel Fader BP - Dembe
    1.0 California Kingsnake - Django
    1.0 Western Hognose - Cosmo
    1.0 Borneo Short Tail Python - Juice
    1.0 Anery Kenyan Sando Boa - Willow
    2.2 Ferrets - Baloo, Chloe, Johnny & June
    0.2 Cats - Simba & Nala

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

    Zincubus (07-02-2019)

  9. #8
    Registered User rockmissjess's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-03-2018
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: Longest holding humidity substrate?

    Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    I live in AZ also. Tucson. I use Cypress Mulch and I still have to spray it 2x a day. I haven't tried anything else yet.
    I havent either which is why im curious.. im up by prescott

  10. #9
    Registered User rockmissjess's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-03-2018
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: Longest holding humidity substrate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    There are lots of tricks you can use to keep humidity up.

    Are you using a glass tank with a screen top? If so, I'd be happy to help you out. I've been successfully using glass for many years.
    yes, I have two 40 gallon breeders with screen tops... tops are foiled with painters tape over the top.. about 95% covered... i thought about getting the clear plastic sheeting (thats like glass but not glass) instead... and just cutting it to fit each to hold humidity better... if I run a humidifier in the snakes closet i can get up a little (i have a small humidifier) i was also thinking of investing in a bigger humidifier that can run longer times...

  11. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-09-2017
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Posts
    58
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 53 Times in 26 Posts
    Images: 3

    Re: Longest holding humidity substrate?

    Covering the top with aluminum foil or aluminum foil tape is a must. I think you already said you do that. Cypress mulch is the best I've found, but even in Florida which is very humid, the humidity only holds for a couple weeks. Don't bother misting with water. Instead, when your humidity drops pour a couple cups of warm water over your substrate and mix it in very well with your hands. Much more effective than misting.

    Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1