Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,414

3 members and 3,411 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Jumpstart thermostat

The jumpstart thermostat has a single outlet can i add a small extension to add a second or even third heat pad to regulate both pads at the same time

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: Jumpstart thermostat

Not recommended in general and especially not for newbies.

It takes a lot more diligence to use one thermostat on multiple cages that does not have multiple probes and has some very specific requirements to even be feasible. Even when people do this, such as in racks, it is highly recommended to use a higher quality thermostat than a basic Jumpstart. Herpstat or Vivarium Electronics are generally the preferred brands when this is done.

At a minimum, things required include:
    Identical heat source
    Enclosure size/brand
    Environmental factors so all ambients are the same
    Same level of substrate
    Same species being kept
    AND still not exceed the device's max wattage.

And from an engineering standpoint, you do not want to exceed 2/3rds of its stated load or you risk frying the circuitry much quicker on a device that many complain of failing within a few years anyway.

Considering the price of any animals involved and emotional attachment to pets or vet bills if it goes wrong... it is FAR more worthwhile to spend at a minimum the $30 each on an additional Jumpstart per snake.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-02-2019),DLena (07-02-2019),MissterDog (07-02-2019),Reinz (07-01-2019)

Thanks

Re: Jumpstart thermostat

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    Not recommended in general and especially not for newbies.

It takes a lot more diligence to use one thermostat on multiple cages that does not have multiple probes and has some very specific requirements to even be feasible. Even when people do this, such as in racks, it is highly recommended to use a higher quality thermostat than a basic Jumpstart. Herpstat or Vivarium Electronics are generally the preferred brands when this is done.

At a minimum, things required include:
    Identical heat source
    Enclosure size/brand
    Environmental factors so all ambients are the same
    Same level of substrate
    Same species being kept
    AND still not exceed the device's max wattage.

And from an engineering standpoint, you do not want to exceed 2/3rds of its stated load or you risk frying the circuitry much quicker on a device that many complain of failing within a few years anyway.

Considering the price of any animals involved and emotional attachment to pets or vet bills if it goes wrong... it is FAR more worthwhile to spend at a minimum the $30 each on an additional Jumpstart per snake.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Oh I see yeah I figured that but maybe it's a thing. I wouldn't know, but I know the high end thermostats do it obviously so I wanted to ask here. Thanks!