Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 938

4 members and 934 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Keeping AP cage in a cold room

Hi!

So, I have a potential option to buy a 8x2x2 Animal Plastics cage. I would be dividing it in half and using it for my two Ball pythons. The problem is, the only place in the house it fits is my finished basement, which constantly sits around 60 degrees.

I know AP cages are easier to heat.. but how much easier? I'm wondering would it just be a matter of a higher powered heater, or? Is it a terrible idea altogether? I'm leaning towards 'unrealistic' but I at least have to get some feedback...

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    First, an oil filled space heater near the cage would be a good idea. Along with a Herpstat HP thermostat that is specifically designed for oil filled heaters.

For a cage that big with those temperatures, 2 RHPs would be best. One with the thermostat set lower than the other.

I’d give Bob a call at Pro-Products and he will customize your RHPs for your needs for not much more than off the shelf products.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-01-2019)

Thanks

Re: Keeping AP cage in a cold room

I have an oil space heater, but I can't leave it on all day. Not only does it not actually affect the room temp much except the few feet directly around it, they really cost a lot to run 24/7. I'd be very open to insulating the outside of the tank with that thick pink foam, and using a RHP panel rated above the tank needs, if that would be enough. I'm waffling on it so much, but this 8x2x2 is only $300 and it seems like a massive waste to pass on

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Re: Keeping AP cage in a cold room

Quote Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
    I have an oil space heater, but I can't leave it on all day. Not only does it not actually affect the room temp much except the few feet directly around it, they really cost a lot to run 24/7. I'd be very open to insulating the outside of the tank with that thick pink foam, and using a RHP panel rated above the tank needs, if that would be enough. I'm waffling on it so much, but this 8x2x2 is only $300 and it seems like a massive waste to pass on

I understand. When my 8 footers arrive from AP (18” high), I’ll have $1000 or more in each of them counting, freight, options, RHPs, and UTHs.

Your cage is $650 before options and freight. The setup costs really add up. But it’s worth it in my opinion. It should last the life of the snake.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    As said call Bob at Pro-Products. An save your pennies, 10% discount for paying by check or money order (your saving the CC fees).

Now, the easy way to "fix" your problem. You'll need some 2x4's, R-max (or the insulation of your choice) an a door (glass is nice). Build a room in the basement for the cage. How to heat the room? Call Bob! Radiant heat panel(s) are the cheapest way to heat a basement.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Insulating the cage will do a lot. Take all the advice people give for retaining heat in glass tanks, and apply it to your PVC cage - foam insulation board, etc. And radiant heat panels are great for efficiently and safely bumping up the ambient temperature of a cage in a cold room. I'd actually go so far as to say maybe you should think about using the RHP for the *cold* side and a basking lamp for hot side during the day. In the UK it's much more common to put a lamp inside the cage, with a wire mesh cage around it so the snake can't reach it and get burned. Doing that will keep more of the heat inside the cage than putting the lamp above a screen-covered hole in the top.

Even if you spend more than you'd like on getting that stuff set up initially, it will be way cheaper than running a space heater all the time in the long run.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    What about kerosene heaters?

Thanks
    I think insulating would be a good idea for sure. I would wrap the whole thing (save the front and ventilation) in foam, and they would be stacked so the heat would rise up. I'm starting to think it's doable, I'll just need a backup plan for if the power goes out... Now there's a hard one. I don't think any of my snakes would die - Two ball pythons, a Brazilian rainbow boa and a western hognose - they would probably be mighty unhappy though. I think getting a thermometer for the basement that I could sync to my phone so I could make sure the basement doesn't get too cold or something while I'm gone (should the power go out in winter for example) would give me a lot of peace of mind, because then I could have someone go over and move the snakes.