Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,844

0 members and 2,844 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: How long

Thanks

How long

I have had a male mouse in with my females for about 3 weeks there was a bit of squeaking for the first few days as I have had the females since March.

How long will it take for them to breed?
    How can I tell if the females are pregnant?
    And how to I keep down on the Oder that is now really bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    How many females? Best ratio to breed is 1.2 (one male, 2 females). More than that is chaotic & less fertile, in my experience.

How long to breed depends on many factors: age & health of the mice, the compatibility (some fight), the ratio, quality of food, suitability of cage, luck etc.
    Temperature is extremely important...too cold inhibits breeding (like in winter), but fertility also disappears about 80*. 70*-72* is optimal. Mice have a high
    metabolism...if they are too crowded, they'll be too hot sooner than if the cage has more room for them. (that's another reason that a large "harem" is bad)

Pregnant females get "fat" (pear-shaped)...I think you'll know.

Odor: hold your nose...mice do stink. Males more than females (for scent marking); cleaning more often helps but mice still stink.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Parsons483 (06-30-2019)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: How long

Quote Originally Posted by Parsons483 View Post
    How long will it take for them to breed?
    Males are breed age @6-8 weeks of age
    Females are breed age @4-7 weeks
    How can I tell if the females are pregnant?
    It is safe to assume that if your male mouse is breed age and living in the same cage as your females-then they are pregnant. Gestation is aprox. 21 days on domestic mice.
    And how to I keep down on the Oder that is now really bad?
    Mice smell. Ammonia gas is lighter than air and rises. I ventilate my cages to the outside with an overhead fan system.

Mazuri's 6F rodent blocks has added yucca shidigera extract in recent times to reduce ammonia levels (it does work-but, it is only reduction).

If you have a large colony and cannot ventilate--I recommend that you run a dehumidifier constantly (in close proximity to the rodents) to extract as much moisture from the air as possible. No moisture = no active bacteria = no ammonia by-product.
    *.* TNTC

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Parsons483 (06-30-2019)

Thanks

Ok thank you I am going to assume they are pregnant. The male is bigger than both of my females and they seem to be at their adult size they haven’t grown really since March. And ok I will look into that a reduction is really what I’m looking for. When it was just the two females I was able to go 4-5 days between cleaning but now it’s sooner than that because the smell gets over powering.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    How many females? Best ratio to breed is 1.2 (one male, 2 females). More than that is chaotic & less fertile, in my experience.

How long to breed depends on many factors: age & health of the mice, the compatibility (some fight), the ratio, quality of food, suitability of cage, luck etc.
    Temperature is extremely important...too cold inhibits breeding (like in winter), but fertility also disappears about 80*. 70*-72* is optimal. Mice have a high
    metabolism...if they are too crowded, they'll be too hot sooner than if the cage has more room for them. (that's another reason that a large "harem" is bad)

Pregnant females get "fat" (pear-shaped)...I think you'll know.

Odor: hold your nose...mice do stink. Males more than females (for scent marking); cleaning more often helps but mice still stink.
    I have two females and one male. I Clean the cage every 3 days. I don’t wash everything with soap I kinda just rinse everything and then dry it off with a cloth I keep specificity for the mice. and I use aspen shavings for bedding.