Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,796

2 members and 2,794 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Most expensive Royal Python Morph’s

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    For someone with law enforcement experience, I'm surprised you'd ask such a question...it seems unwise to disclose such information. Why put yourself on the radar for
    thieves? In any case, it ain't me, LOL!
    Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

I do know many of the people with large collections of investment quality animals never invite people to their homes or wherever they keep their animals.

But yeah, that's a good point.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 06-29-2019 at 04:55 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-29-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (06-29-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post

I do know many of the people with large collections of investment quality animals never invite people to their homes or wherever they keep their animals.

These days many ppl share way too much info., like announcing their vacation plans on Facebook, so thieves can put 2 & 2 together, & know when you aren't there.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-29-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (06-29-2019)

BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

For someone with law enforcement experience, I'm surprised you'd ask such a question...it seems unwise to disclose such information. Why put yourself on the radar for
    thieves? In any case, it ain't me, LOL!
    I just wanted to see some nice snakes, I’m learning so much and up till two days ago I had no idea these snakes even cost that much I hate thieves, thieves give snakes a bad reputation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewmanLovesSnakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-29-2019),Craiga 01453 (06-29-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post

I never thought of that either because personally I’ve never bought an animal over $100 (that was my first BP btw) lol all my dogs are rescues and so is my turtle. The only animal I feel like I stole in a since was my pure bread German Shepard that the lady I got her from for whatever reason did not want her. She gave me the dog and even her food bowls and collar. She’s the best dog I ever own and I’m so glad I begged my wife for her lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewmanLovesSnakes View Post
    I just wanted to see some nice snakes, I’m learning so much and up till two days ago I had no idea these snakes even cost that much I hate thieves, thieves give snakes a bad reputation

I've been around long enough to know this has happened to people with high-end herps...like when it was known they'd be at the monthly herp-club meeting, some jerk
    broke in & stole their prized snakes. That's where I'm coming from...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (06-29-2019)

Thanks

I've been around long enough to know this has happened to people with high-end herps...like when it was known they'd be at the monthly herp-club meeting, some jerk
    broke in & stole their prized snakes. That's where I'm coming from...
    That’s terrible that someone would do something like that. I understand your concern, that’s never something that crossed my mind for the simple fact I’ve never had to deal with that situation myself even as a cop. On post the soldiers were absolutely not allowed to own any reptiles. We had one person steal a dog and we all bullied the guy into giving it back then still called his leadership. The typical scumbag never stops amazing me though at the attempts they will make to make a buck.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NewmanLovesSnakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-29-2019)

Thanks

That’s terrible that someone would do something like that. I understand your concern, that’s never something that crossed my mind for the simple fact I’ve never had to deal with that situation myself even as a cop. On post the soldiers were absolutely not allowed to own any reptiles. We had one person steal a dog and we all bullied the guy into giving it back then still called his leadership. The typical scumbag never stops amazing me though at the attempts they will make to make a buck.

Whether stolen from other keepers or poached from the wild, exotics can fetch quite a bit of money, & there are plenty of buyers who just can't resist & won't ask many
    questions if the price is "right". And what's easier to stash or ship than a snake? Yes, anyone who would do this is a total slime-bag, but know they're out there, & too
    lazy to work for a living. When you see a 'deal too good to be true' on Craigslist, this is something to keep in mind...ask enough questions to be sure they're actually the
    legal owner. (And then ask yourself if it's still worth the risk, versus buying from a reputable breeder.) Like you, I'm more of an animal-rescuer, and all my dogs have
    always come from shelters. BTW, that's great that you made the dog-thief regret his bad deed! Anyway, welcome to the "real world"... There's a good reason why
    (when you go to a reptile expo) that all the snakes & other herps or other creatures are locked up...too many "sticky fingers". People even steal them from pet stores if
    they let down their guard.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (07-01-2019)

Thanks

Whether stolen from other keepers or poached from the wild, exotics can fetch quite a bit of money, & there are plenty of buyers who just can't resist & won't ask many
    questions if the price is "right". And what's easier to stash or ship than a snake? Yes, anyone who would do this is a total slime-bag, but know they're out there, & too
    lazy to work for a living. When you see a 'deal too good to be true' on Craigslist, this is something to keep in mind...ask enough questions to be sure they're actually the
    legal owner. (And then ask yourself if it's still worth the risk, versus buying from a reputable breeder.) Like you, I'm more of an animal-rescuer, and all my dogs have
    always come from shelters. BTW, that's great that you made the dog-thief regret his bad deed! Anyway, welcome to the "real world"... There's a good reason why
    (when you go to a reptile expo) that all the snakes & other herps or other creatures are locked up...too many "sticky fingers". People even steal them from pet stores if
    they let down their guard.
    Rescuing dogs is just the way to go in my opinion, give them a second chance, get really good deals sometimes and it’s a whole lot easier than going to a breeder. The Dog thief was my mechanic in my unit, to say I was disappointed would be an understatement. He took some poor old ladies Yorkie. I’m considering going to my first reptile show here but it’s damn near 4 hours away one way. I’ve never been to know that they keep everything locked up like that, back when I used to go to gun shows they had everything laying out on a table. With how the worlds been recently I wonder if they have everything behind glass now too.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NewmanLovesSnakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-01-2019)

Thanks

Here’s Barbie though, she’s my pride and joy and I’ve never liked dogs.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to NewmanLovesSnakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-01-2019)

Thanks

Rescuing dogs is just the way to go in my opinion, give them a second chance, get really good deals sometimes and it’s a whole lot easier than going to a breeder. The Dog thief was my mechanic in my unit, to say I was disappointed would be an understatement. He took some poor old ladies Yorkie. I’m considering going to my first reptile show here but it’s damn near 4 hours away one way. I’ve never been to know that they keep everything locked up like that, back when I used to go to gun shows they had everything laying out on a table. With how the worlds been recently I wonder if they have everything behind glass now too.

At reptile expos, everything IS visible...most sellers have fancy clear acrylic locking compartments* to display their animals. There is a lot to see at a good show, but best not to try to handle any you aren't seriously interested in buying: too stressful for the animals, plus mites & pathogens get spread that way. *There's some threads on here with pix from members visits to reptile expos, if you feel like searching...that would give you a good idea what it's like. The last time I went to any expos was in CA, & I had to go about 4 hours one way too...I hear ya. Made for a very long day, so I stayed overnight.

Looks like a wonderful dog you've got...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-01-2019 at 10:13 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (07-02-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast