Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,827

1 members and 2,826 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

W. VA Man charged after large python escapes

See link to news article here.

I really wonder how they are able to charge him given that the animal escaped (was not purposefully set loose). I'd love input from those in W. VA that may know the law better there or more about the case.

I also wonder if they would charge the owner of a large dangerous dog if their animal escaped in a similar situation....
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-28-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (06-29-2019),Sonny1318 (06-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    ha i was just about to post this. i am too wondering what the charge is? is it directly related to the animal or something else in his truck or him?

anyways this article here: https://www.wtae.com/article/west-vi...large/28210172 has a vid of peeps searching for the python in the woods which looks kinda futile and hilarious. they are even using drones to help in the search like they did in Poland: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ng-with-Drones
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: W. VA Man charged after large python escapes

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post

I really wonder how they are able to charge him given that the animal escaped (was not purposefully set loose). I'd love input from those in W. VA that may know the law better there or more about the case.

I also wonder if they would charge the owner of a large dangerous dog if their animal escaped in a similar situation....
    I wonder how he was transporting it, that it was able to escape? I don't know the laws in W. VA, but they have a point about failing to control a dangerous animal, IMO.

That's a great question, what they'd do if it was a dangerous dog instead? I would expect maybe a citation, but more severe charges if anyone is hurt as a result? But
    the other question is whether this was a legal pet to begin with...if the owner had any permits for it, if needed by local laws?

I know one thing for sure...our community of snake-keepers doesn't need this sort of publicity. I hope they find it. Remember too that exotic animals released into
    the wild can carry risks of diseases & non-native parasites that can threaten our native herps...that matters a great deal to me.

I see it got loose at the end of May, so it's been loose for a month now so far; that woods is so thick with growth, they'd have to get really lucky to spot it.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-28-2019 at 02:56 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (06-29-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I wonder how he was transporting it, that it was able to escape? I don't know the laws in W. VA, but they have a point about failing to control a dangerous animal, IMO.

That's a great question, what they'd do if it was a dangerous dog instead? I would expect maybe a citation, but more severe charges if anyone is hurt as a result? But
    the other question is whether this was a legal pet to begin with...if the owner had any permits for it, if needed by local laws?

I know one thing for sure...our community of snake-keepers doesn't need this sort of publicity. I hope they find it. Remember too that exotic animals released into
    the wild can carry risks of diseases & non-native parasites that can threaten our native herps...that matters a great deal to me.

I see it got loose at the end of May, so it's been loose for a month now so far; that woods is so thick with growth, they'd have to get really lucky to spot it.
    In the article, it said it got loose from the container he was transporting it in in his truck. I'd be willing to bet it was in a large rubbermaid tub and the lid was not secured via means other than the clips on the tub. The charge was something like "allowing a dangerous animal to roam loose" (can't remember exactly what it said in the article).

I would also think this would be a citation situation but it sounds like they are actually charging him with a crime and that he will need an attorney.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

In the article, it said it got loose from the container he was transporting it in in his truck. I'd be willing to bet it was in a large rubbermaid tub and the lid was not secured via means other than the clips on the tub. The charge was something like "allowing a dangerous animal to roam loose" (can't remember exactly what it said in the article).

I would also think this would be a citation situation but it sounds like they are actually charging him with a crime and that he will need an attorney.
    I agree, most likely a plastic tote...and for a snake that big & that strong? Not smart.

I suspect (just guessing) it's a criminal charge rather than just a citation perhaps because this snake was not allowed, or allowed only with a permit he doesn't have?

And I'll be honest...no matter how much you love snakes, you don't want to be out for a stroll & be surprised by a hungry 15' python that doesn't belong in the wild.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (06-29-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    There is no permit required to own a large constrictor in WV. The cite the owner received is no different than one would get for a dog, livestock, etc. roaming at large whether it escaped, broke a fence, was permitted to roam free, etc.

Local herpers have been following this story since it broke a few weeks ago and there are a lot of holes in it. There are people questioning whether there even is a snake as there are no pictures from the owner available, we don't know if it's a retic or a burm, or if this is some sort of joke/hoax, or if it was designed to get larger constrictors added to the DWA list since the DWA Committee typically meets in June.

Unfortunately local LE/AC has already indicated that if they get ahold of the snake it will not be returned to the owner, it will be put down where it is found. The locals know this so if a herper finds it, he will likely never inform LE and keep his mouth shut.
    Last edited by bcr229; 06-29-2019 at 09:24 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-29-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (06-29-2019)

Thanks
    Ah, thanks for the "rest of the story". Sad, whatever the truth is.

BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

After being a cop for 6 years I would say the law is very strict on pets. Where I used to live if your dog got out and was captured you received a huge fine. Even though that python escaped and was not set free it’s up to the pet owner to provide an escape free enclosure. My own personal opinion any escape is Negligence since it’s the pet owners soul responsibility to have the care for their exotic animal under control. I’m all for people feeling the full ramifications of the law for not taking care of their exotics properly, that’s how we end up with invasive species like the several huge constructors that are calling Florida home currently. Having exotic animals is a huge responsibility and should be treated as such. Just my two cents though, don’t destroy me for my opinion lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewmanLovesSnakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-29-2019),RedRabbit (06-29-2019)

BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post

I would say based on my law enforcement experience they would probably charge him with animal neglect or failure to control his animal. It reality depends on the laws of owning exotics in that state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewmanLovesSnakes View Post
    I would say based on my law enforcement experience they would probably charge him with animal neglect or failure to control his animal. It reality depends on the laws of owning exotics in that state.
    The failure to control/roaming at large is really all they can hit him with. ACO's in this state wouldn't recognize exotic animal neglect if they fell in it; they're basically trained for "cute and furry" and livestock. It's basically a resources issue, as most incidents are for things like puppy mills or hoarding cases.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-29-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (06-29-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast