Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,348

2 members and 3,346 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Did the beginning of the fast coincide with the enclosure upgrade?
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Re: FB Ball Groups are the toilet of the internet (seeking husbandry advice)

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Did the beginning of the fast coincide with the enclosure upgrade?
    Believe this was already asked, Debra. Peace
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    Believe this was already asked, Deborah. Peace
    And yet still unanswered which is why I asked AGAIN.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 06-29-2019 at 12:08 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-29-2019),Craiga 01453 (06-29-2019),MissterDog (06-29-2019)

Thanks
    Some people will tell you "x enclosure won't work! x substrate won't work!" but I find that a lot of times those people are only saying that because they think their way is the best way. About half a year ago I moved my bp into an exo-terra because I wanted a nicer looking set-up and easier access inside the enclosure. Additionally I've used coconut fiber substrate the whole time I've had him. It's great for trying to hold in humidity, so it's probably a very good choice for you.

I don't know why so many people claim that glass enclosures and exo-terras don't work. Humidity can be a little hard to keep, but there are solutions for that. Misting a few times a day will help a lot. Instead of that though, I set up a cool mist humidifier on a timer. I also keep 3/4 of the top covered with a sheet of acrylic and some kitchen towels, which helps too (the acrylic is too small to cover the whole top as it was cut to fit an enclosure from when he was much smaller.)

I will say that when I switched him into the new enclosure I gave him the same time to acclimate as you would for taking a new snake home. I really think it helped him adjust, and after waiting a few weeks to feed him he ate like a champ.

Best of luck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to royalreilly For This Useful Post:

Valrie87 (07-10-2019)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by royalreilly View Post
    Some people will tell you "x enclosure won't work! x substrate won't work!" but I find that a lot of times those people are only saying that because they think their way is the best way. About half a year ago I moved my bp into an exo-terra because I wanted a nicer looking set-up and easier access inside the enclosure. Additionally I've used coconut fiber substrate the whole time I've had him. It's great for trying to hold in humidity, so it's probably a very good choice for you.
    False, if an animal does not eat it's your animal that tells you that something does not work for them and EXPERIENCED keeper know proven solution to make an animal resume feeding, it's not about my way is the best way, if I was telling people to follow my way they would fail which is why I rarely recommend MY WAY to new keepers.

Any enclosure can be made to work but if there is an issue, stress, aggressivity, refusal than something does not work and an intelligent keeper should be open to change.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-29-2019),Craiga 01453 (06-29-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    False, if an animal does not eat it's your animal that tells you that something does not work for them and EXPERIENCED keeper know proven solution to make an animal resume feeding, it's not about my way is the best way, if I was telling people to follow my way they would fail which is why I rarely recommend MY WAY to new keepers.

Any enclosure can be made to work but if there is an issue, stress, aggressivity, refusal than something does not work and an intelligent keeper should be open to change.

Sorry I didn't mean to offend at all! I wasn't really reading through other people's posts, I was just replying to OP's concern about the people on the FB groups and their attitude, not really to the input from people here. One of the things I love about this forum is how people can share info without the negative attitude things like facebook groups tend to carry. I understand that there may be an issue with husbandry, and that's why I shared the way I personally made the transition and allowed the snake to have a "cool down" time to adjust. It's different for every set-up and every snake though!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to royalreilly For This Useful Post:

Valrie87 (07-10-2019)

Thanks

Talking Re: FB Ball Groups are the toilet of the internet (seeking husbandry advice)

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the encouragement and input. I've always loved this forum for that reason
    Val from the Rockies

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valrie87 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-10-2019),Craiga 01453 (07-10-2019)

Thanks

Yep. I went from a 10 gallon to the 20 gallon exoterra
    Val from the Rockies

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deborah View Post
    false, if an animal does not eat it's your animal that tells you that something does not work for them and experienced keeper know proven solution to make an animal resume feeding, it's not about my way is the best way, if i was telling people to follow my way they would fail which is why i rarely recommend my way to new keepers.

best advice ever!!!
    I’m just a bill sitting on top of capital hill.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (07-10-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12