Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,964

6 members and 2,958 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Questions about new Viper Boa

Hello all,
    About a month ago i did some research on a viper boa and decided to get one after i got familiar with them. While doing the research i decided to go back to the site where i bought him at and noticed it was field collected. Typically i don't buy field collected, so was worried and hated i didn't catch that sooner. After arriving though he was perfectly fine and calm. Especially once he settled in. I keep him in a bio setup in a tank with eco earth, moss, and slight bark for a real natural look. About a week after he arrived i noticed he had problems breathing and crackling from mouth. So i took him to a vet to get treated for it.

I use to keep him around temps of 85 to 90 but bumped it up to 90 to 93 from what vet told me. humidity stays around 75 to 80. Max i seen was 85. After 14 days on medication he hasn't eating yet, which is common for them, but still show symptoms of RI. I did more research on it, but before i take him back to the vet i wanted more insight of what the problem could be from others to include when i visit the vet. Heating source is from a ceramic heat emitter. And water source is a large bowl enough to soak in. Most behaviors are fine, he burrows, soaks, and still has good strength and weight. terrarium i have him in is a 30x12x12, downsized from his larger one.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Welcome to the forum.

I am not familiar with Viper Boas at all. At one time I thought about getting one, but being Wild caught turned me away. I’m glad to hear that yours appears to be tame.

Since I know nothing about their husbandry, I can only comment on the Vet visit. Did the Vet take a culture of the saliva? That is needed to see which strain of bacteria is infecting the respiratory system. Upon knowing that, the Vet can zero in on the best antibiotic. If no culture was taken, he probably just used a wide spectrum antibiotic. This is like using a shotgun when a rifle is the better choice.

Other than this, it can be a number of things. Dosing and/or administration could be off. Maybe the seller did not treat properly for parasites, or at all for that matter. Not that the parasites would cause the RI, but they can add stress which can weaken the VB’s system. Did you take in a stool sample to the Vet? (this for checking for parasites) If not, it would be a good idea regardless. Husbandry might need to be further addressed, I don’t know.

For the follow up visit to the Vet, ask about a culture, and checking out the stool. These tests are going to cost more, but may be necessary. If the snake defecates before the visit, refrigerate it immediately. If not, the Vet can do it whenever you get one and you can drop it off.

Hopefully others will tune in with help. This all I can think of at the moment.

Best of luck, and please let us know how this turns out. And PLEASE post photos!! We’d love to see this cool Boa!
    Last edited by Reinz; 06-28-2019 at 04:52 PM. Reason: add
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Sometimes a "perfectly fine and calm" snake is actually one that's not feeling well. Snakes are stoic, and when they're field-collected & then shipped, the stress
    combined with all the parasites they themselves "field collected" can make for a perfect storm, lowering the function of their immune system. Enter the R.I.-

I think viper boas are very cool, but they're aren't common...I can't recall anyone here that's working with them, but I hope I'm wrong...& I ESPECIALLY hope your
    vet can successfully help you get this one healthy. Be sure you also check for mites...that's the last thing he needs to contend with now.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Reinz (06-28-2019)

Thanks

Re: Questions about new Viper Boa

The vet did take a look into the snake's mouth and found there was swelling. Slight and not serious, and went with the medication that way. I am going back this friday to have a followup as medication is over. Then i will ask them to do a deeper check and possible check for parasites, and any bacteria.

The vet said during the last time he would do a little research on the viper boa to get more familiar with him if the issues still occurred but i plan to tell him as much as i know about them as well if he has any questions. As for stool sample, i couldn't get that in as he hasn't eaten yet. But this Friday will go with the next course of action, lucky it is still slight and does not seem to be getting worse, but the only thing that gets me if that those symptoms are still there which could be a deeper problem. For husbandry they require more of a swampy setting, with high humidity. They typically like to burrow/soak in their water dish.

Thank you! I will post pictures as soon as i get them up on my pc!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sheltonrouse For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-01-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Sometimes a "perfectly fine and calm" snake is actually one that's not feeling well. Snakes are stoic, and when they're field-collected & then shipped, the stress
    combined with all the parasites they themselves "field collected" can make for a perfect storm, lowering the function of their immune system. Enter the R.I.-

I think viper boas are very cool, but they're aren't common...I can't recall anyone here that's working with them, but I hope I'm wrong...& I ESPECIALLY hope your
    vet can successfully help you get this one healthy. Be sure you also check for mites...that's the last thing he needs to contend with now.
    Yes and that is one thing that has bothered me for a while. Seeing that the symptoms are still there but not growing worse is troubling and does indicate there may be deeper problems. I will find out Friday at the next vet visit. Before then, will contact a local exotic pet store since he deals with boas, and see how familiar they are with viper boas or if they know a more recommended exotic vet in the area. As for mites, i check every day before misting the enclosure.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sheltonrouse For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-01-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Sounds like you have a good plan of action in place. Please keep us apprised.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    Sounds like you have a good plan of action in place. Please keep us apprised.
    I've owned a female since Thanksgiving. She was captive bred and is now probably a year old. I've never dealt with such a finicky individual. I tried frozen, no go. Bought live rat fuzzies and originally had success. She then stopped eating them and went to striking the poor things in a defensive manner and not eating. She is now thriving eating frozen mice hoppers bi weekly.
    Some advice not related to possible health issues.....
    1) Most care sheets are too high with temps. I'm now at 79-82 and she's finally thriving. 2) They live in leaf litter along rivers under foliage so no hot spot. 3) They love to lay in their water dishes. This is not a sign of a problem as with other snakes (although there still could be one) but there's definitely a problem if they aren't in it ever. Make sure yours has an adequate pool. Mine will go in immediately after feeding and stay there for days. 4) They are campers. They don't move. So they expend little energy. Feed bi-weekly at the soonest. 5) They are shy. Make sure hiding is available.

Hope this helps. I'll share pics.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMTHook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-08-2019),Reinz (07-09-2019)

Thanks

This is Ventress and her setup. She's finally a happy snake and believe me I was worried for awhile. I mist everyday, especially the sphagnum moss in her hide. Good luck with yours, I'm glad somebody else has one. I might finally introduce handling next month. Super cool species.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMTHook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-09-2019),Reinz (07-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Glad to see more ppl working with these...hope you get them "figured out", I love the look of them & their smaller size.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Reinz (07-09-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SMTHook View Post
    I've owned a female since Thanksgiving. She was captive bred and is now probably a year old. I've never dealt with such a finicky individual. I tried frozen, no go. Bought live rat fuzzies and originally had success. She then stopped eating them and went to striking the poor things in a defensive manner and not eating. She is now thriving eating frozen mice hoppers bi weekly.
    Some advice not related to possible health issues.....
    1) Most care sheets are too high with temps. I'm now at 79-82 and she's finally thriving. 2) They live in leaf litter along rivers under foliage so no hot spot. 3) They love to lay in their water dishes. This is not a sign of a problem as with other snakes (although there still could be one) but there's definitely a problem if they aren't in it ever. Make sure yours has an adequate pool. Mine will go in immediately after feeding and stay there for days. 4) They are campers. They don't move. So they expend little energy. Feed bi-weekly at the soonest. 5) They are shy. Make sure hiding is available.

Hope this helps. I'll share pics.
    It helps out a lot! I do have a lot of leaf litter within the cage. lucky mine is spending time in water often but does get out from time to time. So you had more success with feeding with live? With mine he recognizes the frozen/thawed ones i offer but doesn't seem too interested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast