Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,773

2 members and 2,771 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Whistling Noise

Thanks

Whistling Noise

Hey all, I went into my room and decided to check on one of my BPs to check his water and he seemed completely fine. But soon after I picked him up and got him out I heard a slight whistling noise and as I was moving he did it a bit faster which is when I got very worried. I decided to put his head right up against my ear for a good 2 minutes or more and he didn't make the noise once. I then held him for a bit longer and he didn't really do it until I started moving again and he did the same when I put him back into his tub he started making the noise as he was moving fast round the tub as soon as I put him in.

Once I put him back in and he settled he stopped doing it and then he had a pee, not long after he had the pee he started making the noise again while going round his tub so I got him out and he does it randomly. He will randomly do a couple if he moves or if I move and then he will stop if I'm not stressing him out by the looks of it...

I've checked for any noticeable signs of an RI but don't see any as of yet and I'm confused as to why he is doing it.

Hot spot: 89-91
    Ambient: 78 ish
    Humidity: 60-70

Should I take him to the vets or do BPs do this if they get stressed out? Bare in mind this is the first time I've heard him do it and I only heard it when I got him out and started handling him. Thanks for all the help in advance.
    Ball Python(s)
    1.0 Phantom (Zeus)
    1.0 Coral Glow Pastel 100% Het Albino (Ares)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Whistling Noise

Hi,

Has he shed with you yet? They can whistle when breathing heavy - most usually this is cased by either stuck shed in the nostril or the nostril getting constricted by the fluid layer that builds up between the new and old skin as they prepare to shed.

We only get really worried about things like RI's when there are other symptoms like mucus/ snot in the waterbowl or smeared on cage furniture or another sign of breathing problems like sitting with the head raised and the mouth open for extended periods of time.

del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-27-2019),BrandonPythons (06-27-2019),Craiga 01453 (06-27-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

Has he shed with you yet? They can whistle when breathing heavy - most usually this is cased by either stuck shed in the nostril or the nostril getting constricted by the fluid layer that builds up between the new and old skin as they prepare to shed.

We only get really worried about things like RI's when there are other symptoms like mucus/ snot in the waterbowl or smeared on cage furniture or another sign of breathing problems like sitting with the head raised and the mouth open for extended periods of time.

del
    Hi, thanks for the speedy reply. To answer yes he shed less than a month ago but I haven't really heard the noise before up until now. I'm just worried because I've never had R.I and heard some quite scary stories about it and would hate for any of my BPs to get it (I've got a couple). I just cleaned him out 20 mins ago due to have a pee after I put him back in and he made the noise then but there's no other mucous or any signs of an RI, just the heavy breathing whistle when I handled him and after he had the pee.

Forgot to mention I have a couple BPs and I've had this one since December last year 😊
    Ball Python(s)
    1.0 Phantom (Zeus)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,792 Times in 11,827 Posts
    I'd just keep an eye on him (or more accurately, your ears): he might have gotten water in his nose when drinking recently...that can give them a little "whistle"
    for a while too. Hopefully that (or shed skin) is all it is.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BrandonPythons (06-27-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

When you say sitting with the head raised, do you have a picture of what this looks like?

del
    Ball Python(s)
    1.0 Phantom (Zeus)