Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,327

2 members and 3,325 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Immaculate Conception.... I think ! HELP !

With parthenogenesis can a BEL create another bel, I know totally off topic don’t wanna hijack just popped in my head while reading this and thinking about that lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    If they candle as potentially good, I'd assume they're good until proven otherwise, whether or not you let her incubate them is up to you.
    That's a mighty suspicious coincidence of timing...I think one of your BPs is a male-

But you never know...many un-bred female snakes never produce infertile eggs, but my 2 12-year old female Florida rat snakes
    double-clutch every year, & some of the eggs even candle as good, even though neither has ever mated. I toss the obvious slugs
    (yellowish inside & out, mis-shaped, etc) but right now I'm incubating some from each of them that appear viable, just in case.

Some usually just take longer to go bad, but I wouldn't want to miss out if they're good. While I don't intentionally breed any snakes
    now, one or a few would be amazing. But these girls have first clutches of 18-27 eggs, so you can see why I don't let them near any
    males...
    That is nuts. Best of luck with those eggs. Would like to know if any hatch out.

Thanks

LOL.... Now that you pointed it out... Yes, there is a "HE" in Athena, lol ! I should have known ! Need to change his name to Zeus or Apollo !

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MonteyPython For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-27-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aerries View Post
    With parthenogenesis can a BEL create another bel, I know totally off topic don’t wanna hijack just popped in my head while reading this and thinking about that lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Parthenogenesis creates a clone of the mother, so I'd have to say "yup". Whatever the mom is, that's what you'd get. Just don't hold your breath, it's pretty rare.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

I check on them every day... but she has been coiled up inside her Green Hut in her tank for a long time. I just didn't know she was wrapped around Eggs... so they could have been there for weeks..... I just happened to go in at the right time to see her out getting a drink from her water dish when I noticed the Eggs.
    When she is in her hut and coiled around them... you can't even see the eggs, so I thought nothing of it when she was in there... that's where she spends most her time normally.

Seems to be doing well... I went and got a moisturizing Kit, and Pete moss in there and a spray bottle that I use now to make sure it is nice and Humid and about 88-90 degree's all the time. So far all seems to be going well.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MonteyPython For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-28-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MonteyPython View Post
    I check on them every day... but she has been coiled up inside her Green Hut in her tank for a long time. I just didn't know she was wrapped around Eggs... so they could have been there for weeks..... I just happened to go in at the right time to see her out getting a drink from her water dish when I noticed the Eggs.
    When she is in her hut and coiled around them... you can't even see the eggs, so I thought nothing of it when she was in there... that's where she spends most her time normally.

Seems to be doing well... I went and got a moisturizing Kit, and Pete moss in there and a spray bottle that I use now to make sure it is nice and Humid and about 88-90 degree's all the time. So far all seems to be going well.
    I can understand why you didn't see the eggs right away...but now you know, when snakes cozy up together, & especially if they ask for a smoke afterwards, to assume
    they were fooling around, LOL! Snakes can be pretty subtle about mating.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (06-28-2019)

Thanks
    Really need some expertise advice.
    One of my four eggs had turned a dark brown.... I am guessing this means the baby inside has expired and I fear that it will contaminate or risk the integrity of the other three. I wanted to remove it, however all four Eggs are stuck together, I can't get them apart and dont want to be too forceful in fear of tearing the shell on one that is alive. Any recommendations on how I should proceed ????/

Thanks
    At this point, you'll have to leave them together...you'll tear the good ones apart by removing the bad one if it's securely stuck together. That's why when I did
    breed snakes, I always separated all eggs laid (carefully! there is a technique to it) so the bad ones can easily be removed. You're too late, so you'll have to wait
    it out. It is still possible for good eggs to hatch while stuck together with rotten neighbors, as long as the bad one(s) don't become infested with flies/larvae.
    Mold doesn't usually affect good eggs, but insects are another matter. Hope it doesn't stink too bad?

Thanks

HELP NEEDED... Advice

I have a small clutch of 4 eggs that are really stuck together. They look to be almost in a Pipping stage as they are pretty collapsed and wrinkled.
    My Female is fertilizing them herself, and is constantly wrapped around them.
    I noticed one of them are now a dark color and I think the contents rotting...
    I am afraid it will harm the other three if I don't separate it, however I can't get them apart and afraid to tear the good eggs in doing so.
    Any suggestions or recommendations ???

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: HELP NEEDED... Advice

Quote Originally Posted by MonteyPython View Post
    My Female is fertilizing them herself, and is constantly wrapped around them.
    That is quite the trick!

As been stated previously: Leave them alone--especially if the female is incubating them (she is keeping their temps stable with her coils).
    *.* TNTC

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-16-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast