Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,986

2 members and 2,984 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Mr Snakey Snake, my first snake and Ball Python

Hello Everyone, I’m a new member who just joined a couple of days ago. My first snake was a small ball python that I bought from pet co with all the fixens with the money I acquired from my first adult job. I named him Mr Snakey Snake just being silly, I was only about 19 at the time. Mr Snakey Snake was good to me and I did the best I could to be good to him for being a first time snake owner. I joined the Army national guard at 21 because I wanted to serve my country and eventually become a civilian cop later on down the road. While I was away training I entrusted the care for my snake with my mom and dad. I was away at basic and AIT for 6 months, 3 days before I could graduate and come home my snake died. My dad was drinking heavily at the time and while my mom was cleaning his enclosure my father not know enough about the snake left him outside and he bakes in the sun and died. My dad honestly had the best intentions because he loved snakes and that’s where I got my love of snakes from, an unfortunate and ignorant accident on my dad’s part that I quickly forgave. When he told me he was sober and cried his eyes out because he felt terrible. I got out of the Army years later and I’m now currently looking for another reptile friend. If anyone knows any expo’s in Louisiana I would be appreciated. I’m happy to be a member of this awesome forum. Here’s my last tribute to my buddy and friend, he was a whole lot better to me than I deserved. RIP Mr Snakey Snake (he’s been gone for several years but I never got to really say goodbye).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NewmanLovesSnakes; 06-26-2019 at 12:26 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NewmanLovesSnakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    How very sad & unfortunate...snakes aren't like most pets that make some noise to indicate that they're in trouble. It's why we have to be so careful to specify
    exactly what we mean...I know of someone (years back) who put their glass tank out in the sun so their snake could "bask" for a while & it died too. It's one
    thing to personally hold a reptile for a short time to "get some natural sun", but you never want to leave it out in a cage, or for very long. There was also a local
    guy in this town who liked to walk around with his large boa on his shoulders (I didn't know him, but I have to assume he liked the attention?)...later I heard from
    a vet tech that his snake died of a heat stroke. Mistakes happen, I'm glad you didn't give up on snakes. (or your dad)

R.I.P. Mr. Snakey Snake...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (06-26-2019)

BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Mr Snakey Snake, my first snake and Ball Python

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    How very sad & unfortunate...snakes aren't like most pets that make some noise to indicate that they're in trouble. It's why we have to be so careful to specify
    exactly what we mean...I know of someone (years back) who put their glass tank out in the sun so their snake could "bask" for a while & it died too. It's one
    thing to personally hold a reptile for a short time to "get some natural sun", but you never want to leave it out in a cage, or for very long. There was also a local
    guy in this town who liked to walk around with his large boa on his shoulders (I didn't know him, but I have to assume he liked the attention?)...later I heard from
    a vet tech that his snake died of a heat stroke. Mistakes happen, I'm glad you didn't give up on snakes. (or your dad)

R.I.P. Mr. Snakey Snake...
    I tired to always keep him inside and get a family member to handle him when I cleaned his enclosure. I’ve always been really particular with my things, I always have taken excellent care of my belongings and pets. I never wanted him left anywhere besides the bath tub during shedding problems or in his enclosure. It was just an unfortunate accident, I was a little frustrated coming home and seeing that empty enclosure but I forgave my dad because I truly know where his heart was at during the situation. Fortunately we learn from our mistakes, I’ve truly learned so much more since I’ve matured about all kinds of snakes and their care so I’m excited to get another one and give it everything it needs. I have my heart set on a Rosy Boa this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NewmanLovesSnakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-26-2019)