Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,096

0 members and 3,096 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

How much weight does your snake lose before you get concerned?

My male has been off feed since September I believe. He started the fast around 1,600 grams. He just shed last week and had a small bowel movement and he weighs 1,420 now. He is starting to look a little on the thinner side but not starving. He is in a T8 with warm side 90 degrees cool side 78-80 approx 40-50% humidity with a RHP. My female has the exact same set up and she's eating fine. She's around 1600-1700 grams (she is younger than him as well). I'm just wondering what other people have experienced and when they start to get concerned.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: How much weight does your snake lose before you get concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by Medli View Post
    My male has been off feed since September I believe. He started the fast around 1,600 grams. He just shed last week and had a small bowel movement and he weighs 1,420 now. He is starting to look a little on the thinner side but not starving. He is in a T8 with warm side 90 degrees cool side 78-80 approx 40-50% humidity with a RHP. My female has the exact same set up and she's eating fine. She's around 1600-1700 grams (she is younger than him as well). I'm just wondering what other people have experienced and when they start to get concerned.
    I had a similar situation years ago .. nine months without food then went dull and wrinkly ..

I gave mine a 30 minute soak .. afterwards it looked lovely and plump , very colourful ( HC Albino ) plus it ATE the very next day !!

PM me for info on soaking if you’re interested..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At 1400+ grams it is still a big male, males are supposed to be lean they do not look like females.

A fast could last 6 months to a year with an animal that weight.

Here are things you can try to see if he will resume feeding.

Change things around, change the substrate, lower your hot side by 2 to 4 degrees, downsize the enclosure (around 24x16 foot print) etc

You can also take your snake on a car ride secured in a pillow case (30 min to 1 hour)

He may resume the next day after some changes he might take a few weeks, the only thing you can do it try.

Alternate prey items are not a solution at least not until there is a real emergency.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (06-26-2019)

Thanks

I cluttered up the cage and changed the substrate. I added an extra hide, a log tunnel, and a bunch of fake plants. A smaller enclosure isn't really an option right now so I attempted to change up the enclosure. I guess I'm mainly concerned because I've always read if they lose 10% or more body weight that something is wrong with him/sick. He seems completely fine. He's alert, has a good grip, breathing fine, and has great sheds just no interest in food right now. He's always been a picky eater so I really wasn't concerned at first but this is the longest I've ever seen him go off food.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    At 1400+ grams it is still a big male, males are supposed to be lean they do not look like females.

A fast could last 6 months to a year with an animal that weight.

Here are things you can try to see if he will resume feeding.

Change things around, change the substrate, lower your hot side by 2 to 4 degrees, downsize the enclosure (around 24x16 foot print) etc

You can also take your snake on a car ride secured in a pillow case (30 min to 1 hour)

He may resume the next day after some changes he might take a few weeks, the only thing you can do it try.

Alternate prey items are not a solution at least not until there is a real emergency.

Thank you for the advice! I'll try that. Normally I'm not too concerned with his fasts unless he starts losing a lot of weight. To me, he looks a little on the thin side right now.