Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,267

0 members and 1,267 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Rosy Boa Breeders

Any one know any reputable breeders either online or locally that I could obtain a Rosy Boa from? I’m in North Louisiana but will drive pretty much anywhere in the state. Any advise would be great, also info on any reptile shows in the area could help too. I’ve googled but just can’t find anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    You can find a few on MorphMarket and FaunaClassifieds. There aren't many available right now because they usually breed in spring and give birth in the fall. Most of the ones for sale right now are from last year. I'm expecting a litter next month, but that's just because my girl went early this year. In the past she's given birth in August and October.

The only other breeder that I've had personal experience with is Ryan Shatto. He usually posts ads on FaunaClassifieds. I got two lovely Anery Magdalena Plains rosys from him last year. They were in excellent health and ate right away for me. I haven't seen him put up any ads yet this year, but I would highly recommend him to anyone looking for rosys. If you aren't in a hurry to get your new snake he is definitely worth the wait. Here are the babies I got from him:

~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the_rotten1 For This Useful Post:

Alicia (06-25-2019),Bogertophis (06-24-2019),Reinz (06-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    When mine bred (they were desert or desert/coastal intergrades, not the Mexican variety pictured above) they had their babies in July-August. All varieties
    make good pets, IMO, really just color variations from different locales. Desert rosies tend to have straighter stripes, while coastals tend to have irregular ones.
    Me, I like 'em all...but I just don't happen to know who to steer you towards for neonates.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-24-2019 at 09:50 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

the_rotten1 (06-24-2019)

Thanks

Re: Rosy Boa Breeders

Quote Originally Posted by the_rotten1 View Post
    You can find a few on MorphMarket and FaunaClassifieds. There aren't many available right now because they usually breed in spring and give birth in the fall. Most of the ones for sale right now are from last year. I'm expecting a litter next month, but that's just because my girl went early this year. In the past she's given birth in August and October.

The only other breeder that I've had personal experience with is Ryan Shatto. He usually posts ads on FaunaClassifieds. I got two lovely Anery Magdalena Plains rosys from him last year. They were in excellent health and ate right away for me. I haven't seen him put up any ads yet this year, but I would highly recommend him to anyone looking for rosys. If you aren't in a hurry to get your new snake he is definitely worth the wait. Here are the babies I got from him:

How much did you pay for yours when you bought from Ryan? I just sent him a email. I’ve read a lot of good things about him.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    When mine bred (they were desert or desert/coastal intergrades, not the Mexican variety pictured above) they had their babies in July-August. All varieties
    make good pets, IMO, really just color variations from different locales. Desert rosies tend to have straighter stripes, while coastals tend to have irregular ones.
    Me, I like 'em all...but I just don't happen to know who to steer you towards for neonates.
    I don’t want anything special, just cheap and preferably not almost all black.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewmanLovesSnakes View Post
    I don’t want anything special, just cheap and preferably not almost all black.

It's only the Mexican rosies, but that's not black anyway, it's chocolate brown. Dark chocolate, not milk...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    It's only the Mexican rosies, but that's not black anyway, it's chocolate brown. Dark chocolate, not milk...
    They are beautiful snakes, don’t get me wrong. I just love the vibrant reds and oranges.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewmanLovesSnakes View Post
    They are beautiful snakes, don’t get me wrong. I just love the vibrant reds and oranges.

In that case, you'd be better off with an Okeetee or Abbott's corn snake. Or get an Everglades rat snake. (all of these grow into their color, btw...hatchlings are dull)

I love red & orange too, but rosy boas typically have stripes that are more muted orange-rust-or "rosey" colored. Nothing I'd call "vibrant".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_rotten1 View Post
    Just wanted to second the_rotten1's Fauna link. Perusing breeders on there can give a really good idea of not only what's available, but also who might be working with something you'd like. There are several Rosies up right now, include some pretty vibrant ones. If orange is your thing, there are selectively bred lines of locality animals that really bring it out. If locality doesn't matter, an albino or hypo Rosy might be what you're looking for.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Alicia For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (06-26-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alicia View Post
    Just wanted to second the_rotten1's Fauna link. Perusing breeders on there can give a really good idea of not only what's available, but also who might be working with something you'd like. There are several Rosies up right now, include some pretty vibrant ones. If orange is your thing, there are selectively bred lines of locality animals that really bring it out. If locality doesn't matter, an albino or hypo Rosy might be what you're looking for.
    Y’all really truly are great on here. I’m gonna put a deposit on a San Felipe’s Ghost Rosy Boa, they just look so neat and I can’t beat the price. If that falls through I’ve done enough research to find the locality that I want hopefully by the end of August I can post a picture!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NewmanLovesSnakes For This Useful Post:

Alicia (06-26-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast