Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,660

1 members and 2,659 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

More Feeding Issues

A while ago I asked for advice on how much to feed my rescued BP. Based on the feeding chart graciously provided, I started giving her one medium-sized rat per week. She took the first two very well but has refused any further feedings. It's been a month since she has eaten. I know BPs are notorious for feeding issues, but how long should I wait before I get concerned? I completely changed out her tank and gave it a good washing the last time she shed/defecated (about a month ago). She's still drinking water, hiding during the day, exploring at night, and socializing as she has since the day I got her a little over a year ago. Everything else in her enclosure (temperature, humidity, fresh water, hides, other decorations) hasn't changed or is appropriately controlled. Food strikes aren't new territory for me, as my one of my son's tarantulas previously went six months without eating, and he's just fine. Again, thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    If she's eating medium rats she does not need to eat every week. Put her on a 2-3 week schedule.

ETA: I looked at your other thread. I'd guess she's stuffed for now and isn't going to eat again for another few weeks.
    Last edited by bcr229; 06-23-2019 at 10:12 PM.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-24-2019),dakski (06-24-2019),Gio (06-24-2019),PythonMama (06-24-2019),Sonny1318 (06-24-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The problem with adults is that they take a lot longer to acclimate then younger individual do, in my experience 50% of adults I have ever received (bought or loan) took 6 months to a year to adjust and either start to eat or even because regular feeder.

My advice feed a small rat (not medium every 10 to 14 days for now)
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (06-24-2019),Bogertophis (06-24-2019),Gio (06-24-2019),PythonMama (06-24-2019),Sonny1318 (06-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    Feeding charts and schedules are great, FOR YOU. Your snake has no interest in schedules however and will eat when it is ready. Charts are guidelines and can be helpful, but don't expect your snake to take them as seriously as you may.

One frequently, reoccurring thread/question here is in regard to feeding issues. It almost always focuses on the royal python, and is asked by newer keepers.

Understanding reptiles takes some time, and getting over the excitement of feeding your newly acquired pet takes time as well. Feeding is interesting and probably the most fascinating aspect of keeping snakes IMO.

It is human nature for us to do all we can to enhance the lives of our pets, however the eating habits of people and most traditional pets differ greatly from reptiles. In all actuality, there are feeding variances within different species of snakes (another topic). The key is to think reptile when it comes to feeding.

The royal python is a great example of a snake that is more than well equipped to survive and thrive on bare minimums. It is a characteristic they have developed over millions of years. I'm also convinced that one reason royals are one of the, if not THE longest lived snakes in captivity is because they regulate their own food intake. Snakes that overeat, live shorter lives than snakes that are fed conservatively.

The beauty of the royal python, and at the same time, the frustration, is they call the shots when it comes to food. They are all different, but all genetically hardwired the same.

Are there ever times to be concerned? Sure there are, but more often than not, the refusal of food is completely natural and a healthy part of their lives. Other issues will likely present themselves before you should become worried about food refusal.

This snake is 8 years old the end of July. We purchased her for our son before she was a year old.

Today, after 9 months of refusing food, she ate a large, live rat. She's gone 7 and 6 months without food during her stay here.

Does this animal look at all unhealthy or malnourished?

I have a gut feeling this snake will outlive the other 3 here which are also fed conservatively, but they rarely refuse.

A rescue may come with its own set off baggage, which is why I believe a newer keeper should buy from a trusted breeder. I do find it noble to rescue animals though. Our pit bull is a rescue and certainly deserved another shot at life.

Anyhow, that was a bit of a rant. The bottom line to the point is that 95% of the time there is no need to be concerned over a royal python not eating unless you are seeing other issues..
    Last edited by Gio; 06-24-2019 at 02:49 PM.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (06-24-2019),Bogertophis (06-24-2019),Godzilla78 (06-24-2019),jmcrook (06-24-2019),PythonMama (06-24-2019),squidwardtortellini (06-24-2019)

Thanks

Re: More Feeding Issues

Thank you for all the information. My snake was purchased by her first owner from a company we have trusted for years with all our pets, the cats, the hedgehog, the tarantulas, and now the python. All of their animals come from trusted and reputable breeders and are guaranteed to be healthy at time of sale. Her origins, I don't think, are the biggest issue here. If you had seen the conditions she was living in, you would understand why I took her. Her enclosure was incredibly small and it was filthy. She had no room to "play." She had such a tiny water dish that approximately 1/2 cup of water was all it would hold. She had one hide, which was too small for her to fit in. The humidity in her tank was not monitored and either was the temperature. There were no warm and cool sides to her home. It was all one temp, and that was whatever the ambient temperature of the room happened to be. Her prior owners thought it would be cool to have such a gorgeous snake, but after only a year and a half they grew tired of caring for her. If I hadn't agreed to give her a new home, they would've "gotten rid" of her... meaning she would no longer be living. No matter how anyone feels about rescues, I knew I'd never be able to live with myself if I had let her die. I was contacted about her because her owners knew that we had other exotic pets. She didn't have a choice about who adopted her. She didn't need to be punished because the wrong person chose to take her home. I spent several weeks researching and trying to learn all I could about what I needed to do to provide her with a good home and keep her healthy. I'm proud to say that she now has two hides that she can actually hide in, a water dish that she can soak in, an appropriately-sized tank with artificial greenery and several pieces of wood (rough but no sharp edges) that she loves to climb on. Her enclosure is spot cleaned daily with a full cleaning each time she sheds/defecates or at least monthly. She has a warm side and a cool side to her tank. The humidity is kept at an appropriate level at all times. She gets fresh water every few days. As far as me thinking she needs to eat on a schedule, I've learned from my son's tarantulas that she'll eat when she's good and ready and not before. As I said in my thread, his Chilean rose hair went for six months without eating, and he's just fine. I was mainly looking for education from someone with a whole lot more experience than me since I'm so new to this. She in no way looks or behaves like she is ill, and she's not overweight or underweight. I just want to learn what behaviors are typical and when I need to be concerned about her. I love her dearly, and I can't imagine life without her. She's a very sweet girl who comes out to greet me every evening when I do maintenance in her tank. Sometimes she chooses to venture out of her enclosure, sometimes she just comes over to see what I'm doing. With the exception of one cat we owned who died of kidney failure at a fairly young age (she was also a rescue), all of our pets have outlived their life expectancy, including the hamster and two male tarantulas who passed away of old age. We take the health and happiness of our animals very seriously and believe that adoption is a lifelong commitment.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PythonMama For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (06-24-2019),Bogertophis (06-25-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    Very good,

My initial post was purely intended to put you at ease about long periods of food refusal.

You may want to revisit the soaking part of the equation. While some snakes will soak once in a while just because, an animal that soaks regularly may be doing so due to lack of humidity or because of mites.

I'm not well versed on your experience level which is why my previous post leaned toward the inexperienced side of things.

There are countless new royal python owners that ask basic feeding questions on the board, at least once a month I see them.

If your snake appears to be completely healthy in all facets of life, sans refusing food, you should not be too concerned.

I am elated that you are enjoying your new pet.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

PythonMama (06-25-2019)

BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

I’m sure everyone knows this in this group but I’ll state it anyway just in case. When I owned my first ball python he went on a 6 month hunger strike, he was well cared for but just stopped eating. It scared the hell out of me, when I was told they fast quite frequently it made me feel a lot better. He eventually started eating again, he was a healthy eater for the most part but he fasted a couple times for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NewmanLovesSnakes For This Useful Post:

PythonMama (06-25-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PythonMama View Post
    A while ago I asked for advice on how much to feed my rescued BP. Based on the feeding chart graciously provided, I started giving her one medium-sized rat per week. She took the first two very well but has refused any further feedings. It's been a month since she has eaten. I know BPs are notorious for feeding issues, but how long should I wait before I get concerned? I completely changed out her tank and gave it a good washing the last time she shed/defecated (about a month ago). She's still drinking water, hiding during the day, exploring at night, and socializing as she has since the day I got her a little over a year ago. Everything else in her enclosure (temperature, humidity, fresh water, hides, other decorations) hasn't changed or is appropriately controlled. Food strikes aren't new territory for me, as my one of my son's tarantulas previously went six months without eating, and he's just fine. Again, thank you in advance for any help you can give.
    I am leaning towards your snake need a little more time to settle down. Eating once or twice and then suddenly stopping means many times, but what I learned is that it does not mean it feels comfortable enough to keep eating. My Dumerils boa (Also known for being shy eaters) ate 2-3 times on schedule. Then he refused his next feeding. Then again another 2 feedings. I moved him somewhere quieter in my house, check the husbandry again and let him be. He ate afterwards.

My bp is also currently not eating. He had not done so for about 4 months now, I think. Try not to count the weeks of not eating but rather focus on when you need to intervene, like your snake had lost way too much weight or other signs of illness.

If needed, you can try downsizing her tank to help her feel more secure. For example, if she is in a 40 gallon breeder tank, cover the sides of her tank, or move her to a smaller tub, clutter the open space areas and keep her room dark and less foot traffic. If you do move her, you will need to give her even more time to adjust.

Sent from my LGL57BL using Tapatalk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

PythonMama (06-25-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    I am leaning towards your snake need a little more time to settle down. Eating once or twice and then suddenly stopping means many times, but what I learned is that it does not mean it feels comfortable enough to keep eating. My Dumerils boa (Also known for being shy eaters) ate 2-3 times on schedule. Then he refused his next feeding. Then again another 2 feedings. I moved him somewhere quieter in my house, check the husbandry again and let him be. He ate afterwards.

My bp is also currently not eating. He had not done so for about 4 months now, I think. Try not to count the weeks of not eating but rather focus on when you need to intervene, like your snake had lost way too much weight or other signs of illness.

If needed, you can try downsizing her tank to help her feel more secure. For example, if she is in a 40 gallon breeder tank, cover the sides of her tank, or move her to a smaller tub, clutter the open space areas and keep her room dark and less foot traffic. If you do move her, you will need to give her even more time to adjust.

Sent from my LGL57BL using Tapatalk
    Sorry I should have clarified this but my bp is not eating because of maturity reasons, he is not a new snake. Your snake sounds like my boa and may need more time to adjust.

Thanks

I'm sorry if I came across as upset with your first post. I tend to get a little frustrated when, even for the best of reasons, rescue is not encouraged. I totally understand where you were coming from, and it makes perfect sense. I'm still a newbie python keeper. I've only had Zahra for a little over a year, and she's my first snake. On the other hand, I'm a huge rescue supporter. She's not my first rescue and I understand that these animals many times come with physical and emotional issues. However, I'm willing to deal with any problems that arise because if they were in need of rescue, they obviously didn't have the best life before they came to me. I believe every pet deserves to be loved and "spoiled" each and every day. I'm willing to give them that, even when they can't overcome their physical issues. A few months or a few years of the good life is better than having them never know what it's like to be part of a family... Okay, I guess that's my rant for the day. And, no, I'm not a spokesperson for the ASPCA or Greenpeace.

As for the soaking issue, I've never seen her actually soak. I just wanted her to have that option if she were to ever need it. I use a reptile misting unit that keeps her humidity at appropriate levels at all times. The only time I've ever seen her do anything but drink from her bowl is when she wants to get to the other side of her water dish and for whatever reason decides to go through it instead of around it.

Again, thank you for the advice! She is well loved and cared for to the best of my ability. Would love to post a picture of her, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PythonMama For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-25-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast