Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,120

1 members and 3,119 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Rosy Boa Care/ Setup (Brand New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    FYI, speckled king snakes ARE "constrictors"... I have kept one in the past.
    You learn something everyday lol I think they are neat. I saw a baby one online and consider it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewmanLovesSnakes View Post
    You learn something everyday lol I think they are neat. I saw a baby one online and consider it

Actually most of the snakes we keep as pets are "constrictors" & they come in all sizes. The alternatives are venomous snakes, which immobilize & kill their prey
    with sort of "advanced chemical warfare", or snakes (such as coachwhips & garter snakes) that just simply use their strong jaws to simply over-power & gulp down
    their prey. Some technically-venomous snakes are widely-kept pets too...hognose snakes are in that category, they are rear-fanged snakes with mild venom that
    isn't considered dangerous to the average (healthy) human. But just because a snake is a constrictor doesn't make it a dangerous pet...rosy boas are constrictors
    but pose no concern unless you're a mouse. Most kinds of king snakes get bigger than rosy boas, & many have ferocious appetites, but you're still pretty safe.
    But they should all carry a warning...snakes are addicting to keep. LOL
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Actually most of the snakes we keep as pets are "constrictors" & they come in all sizes. The alternatives are venomous snakes, which immobilize & kill their prey
    with sort of "advanced chemical warfare", or snakes (such as coachwhips & garter snakes) that just simply use their strong jaws to simply over-power & gulp down
    their prey. Some technically-venomous snakes are widely-kept pets too...hognose snakes are in that category, they are rear-fanged snakes with mild venom that
    isn't considered dangerous to the average (healthy) human. But just because a snake is a constrictor doesn't make it a dangerous pet...rosy boas are constrictors
    but pose no concern unless you're a mouse. Most kinds of king snakes get bigger than rosy boas, & many have ferocious appetites, but you're still pretty safe.
    But they should all carry a warning...snakes are addicting to keep. LOL
    Your right about that, I’ve wanted to keep them for years lol did you see that report about the girl getting bit by her pet hog nose snake and it actually envenomating her? Apparently it’s the first reported case of an actual human envenomation.

Thanks

Your right about that, I’ve wanted to keep them for years lol did you see that report about the girl getting bit by her pet hog nose snake and it actually envenomating her? Apparently it’s the first reported case of an actual human envenomation.

No, but I'm not surprised...it's known that some people are more sensitive than others. Just like with bees, etc. Got a link?

And btw, you're not too "late"...I didn't get into keeping snakes until well into adulthood either.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-28-2019 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks

Rosy Boa Care/ Setup (Brand New Member)

No, but I'm not surprised...it's known that some people are more sensitive than others. Just like with bees, etc. Got a link?

And btw, you're not too "late"...I didn't get into keeping snakes until well into adulthood either.
    http://www.fresno.ucsf.edu/wp-conten...ocytopenia.pdf

It was kind of those perfect storm situations but never the less.

Last edited by NewmanLovesSnakes; 06-28-2019 at 12:07 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NewmanLovesSnakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-28-2019)

Thanks

http://www.fresno.ucsf.edu/wp-conten...ocytopenia.pdf

It was kind of those perfect storm situations but never the less.

That's very interesting, thanks! I've kept W. hognose snakes but never had any bites, nor from a giant Madagascar hognose snake that I had for a while, after the local
    pet store got cold feet about it being in the store. (they hadn't realized what they bought & didn't want to be sued) I was cautious with that snake, but it was docile &
    never seemed to consider me a threat, & lapped up f/t rodents even thought I'm pretty sure it was a w/c import.

One thing to always consider, even with "just a rear-fanged snake", is that the venom of any given species is not the same for all members. It is well documented, for
    example, that different populations of rattlesnakes can have vastly different components in their venom: some locales with primarily hematoxic venom & other locales
    (like a couple hours drive away) can have primarily neurotoxic venom. So if you sustain a bite, assuming the incorrect treatment could be a deadly mistake. I think it's
    logical to assume that not all hognose snakes have precisely the same venom either...best to "error on the side of caution". We talked a member here (who has some
    immune system issues) out of keeping a hognose snake for this very reason.

Thanks

That's very interesting, thanks! I've kept W. hognose snakes but never had any bites, nor from a giant Madagascar hognose snake that I had for a while, after the local
    pet store got cold feet about it being in the store. (they hadn't realized what they bought & didn't want to be sued) I was cautious with that snake, but it was docile &
    never seemed to consider me a threat, & lapped up f/t rodents even thought I'm pretty sure it was a w/c import.

One thing to always consider, even with "just a rear-fanged snake", is that the venom of any given species is not the same for all members. It is well documented, for
    example, that different populations of rattlesnakes can have vastly different components in their venom: some locales with primarily hematoxic venom & other locales
    (like a couple hours drive away) can have primarily neurotoxic venom. So if you sustain a bite, assuming the incorrect treatment could be a deadly mistake. I think it's
    logical to assume that not all hognose snakes have precisely the same venom either...best to "error on the side of caution". We talked a member here (who has some
    immune system issues) out of keeping a hognose snake for this very reason.
    Probably the best idea honestly to err on the side of caution. I’ve learned so much about snakes, it’s crazy to see how different they are in environments only a couple of hours away.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123