Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,832

1 members and 2,831 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Zelda's New Diet Plan

So, when I got my new girl a short time ago, I couldn't help but notice she was VERY well fed, too well, in fact. Not to mention, every one here said she was a bit "plump". With that in mind, I've decided to help "Ms. Thang" get back in shape.

Zelda is a 7 yr. old Dumerils boa. Haven't weighed her yet but will update as soon as I do. She was determined to be a bit overweight (pictures posted) by some of you guys on here who know WAY more about boas than I do and I trust y'all completely.

Current Diet: 2 jumbo rats every 3 weeks, approx. 800 grams total, which comes to approx. 1,064 grams/month, give or take. Due to her slower metabolism than my BPs AND being overweight, I'm thinking of feeding just once a month.

New Diet Plan: 2-3 large rats totaling approx. 600+ grams, once a month. This will cut about 500 grams per month, along with dropping down to large rats with a lil' less fat content, off her current diet along with taking her out for exercise at least once a week.

Would love some feedback from you guys. Whatcha think?
    Carpe' Diem

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    I'd say give it a try and see how she does on it. Bear in mind that you're not going to see results immediately. I would take pictures of her every few months and compare them.

Also if her prior owner didn't get her out much, giving her more exercise will help. Fortunately in most areas now it's warm enough to get her outside and let her cruise around the yard.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Shayne (06-22-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I agree on the exercise, but be careful about yard roaming...if your state is anything like mine, there's ticks & various parasites out there.
    The dietary changes should help her, but I agree, change will be slow to see.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Shayne (06-22-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

Re: Zelda's New Diet Plan

I think that's still too much food. At her age and size I'd feed her one large rat every 3-4 weeks or one jumbo rat or small rabbit every 4-6 weeks.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-22-2019),jmcrook (06-22-2019),Shayne (06-22-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    I think that's still too much food. At her age and size I'd feed her one large rat every 3-4 weeks or one jumbo rat or small rabbit every 4-6 weeks.
    I think so too, but I also don't think he should make abrupt changes, only gradual ones. He is also wanting to use up food he already got, which isn't the most ideal,
    but will serve to transition. Personally I'd avoid "jumbos" & feed every 3-4 weeks too, but I have confidence that he'll get her on a better regimen in time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Shayne (06-22-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I'd say give it a try and see how she does on it. Bear in mind that you're not going to see results immediately. I would take pictures of her every few months and compare them.

Also if her prior owner didn't get her out much, giving her more exercise will help. Fortunately in most areas now it's warm enough to get her outside and let her cruise around the yard.
    Yes, slow & steady wins the race. Thankfully, I take too many pics (if there even is such a thing) now, so we should have plenty to compare in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I agree on the exercise, but be careful about yard roaming...if your state is anything like mine, there's ticks & various parasites out there.
    The dietary changes should help her, but I agree, change will be slow to see.
    Yes, there's bugs abound down here. When I do take them out for exercise they never leave my lap, neck, arms, shoulders, head....you get the picture. 😉 I like to "be the tree". And thankfully, I'm "parasite-free". lol

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Yes, the previous owner was feeding waaay too much, IMHO, but I know I need to do this very gradually. Gotta get lil' mama all slim & trim again. Maybe her self-esteem will improve too. 😊
    Carpe' Diem

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Shayne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-22-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    ...Yes, there's bugs abound down here. When I do take them out for exercise they never leave my lap, neck, arms, shoulders, head....you get the picture. 😉 I like to "be the tree". And thankfully, I'm "parasite-free". lol....
    Good to know!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Shayne (06-22-2019)