Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,066

1 members and 3,065 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

new ball button not eating

I've had my ball python for 3 weeks now and I've tried to feed him twice (both times on 50g rats he's 600g) and he hasn't taken one. his temps are at 33 on the hot side and 28-29 on the cool side. his humidity is a bit low and is usually at 45% (I'm working on getting it up). I've tried feeding him at night and warming his pray up, I've also left the rats in the enclosure overnight to see if he would eat them when I'm not watching. he seems to be interested in the rats and struck one but then let go and will sit watching them but never eat. I'm not sure what else to try or if he needs more time to settle in (I'm not holding him just now in case it's stressing him out) Thanks for any suggestions!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: new ball button not eating

Quote Originally Posted by Ginglis View Post
    I've had my ball python for 3 weeks now and I've tried to feed him twice (both times on 50g rats he's 600g) and he hasn't taken one. his temps are at 33 on the hot side and 28-29 on the cool side. his humidity is a bit low and is usually at 45% (I'm working on getting it up). I've tried feeding him at night and warming his pray up, I've also left the rats in the enclosure overnight to see if he would eat them when I'm not watching. he seems to be interested in the rats and struck one but then let go and will sit watching them but never eat. I'm not sure what else to try or if he needs more time to settle in (I'm not holding him just now in case it's stressing him out) Thanks for any suggestions!
    Mine will only strike from WITHIN their hides .. I feed evenings, wait until they’re settled under a hide then dangle the WARM rodent just in front of the hide entrance they normally strike straight away but if not I just blast the rat with a hairdryer for the seconds and then dangle it IMMEDIATELY over the hide entrance.. just keep doing that procedure until it strikes .

If there is no interest at all not even tongue flicking just leave it for a week ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    ok thanks ill try this when I next feed him he does seem quite interested in his food tho

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Good call on not handling until he has eaten for you.

Are you able to ask the previous owner what he fed and how? Everyone tends to have a different regime and sometimes that info is all you need. If you have no way of getting that information I'd be tempted to try an FG mouse or a chick just to see if that floats his goat.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-25-2019),Sonny1318 (06-25-2019)

Thanks

ok, I'll give his previous owner a message today and try find out some info about what he used to eat. The only problem is that I live on an island so it is about 2 weeks until I could go and pick up chicks/mice (websites won't deliver)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    When mine wont eat, or strikes and releases, it's usually a prey temperature issue. She likes them WARM.

Try measuring the prey temp with an IR if you have it. I use hot water (with a few water changes) for an hour to defrost and a heat lamp to keep warm right up to the point I offer.

Feeding while in the hide is a great suggestion. They ARE picky. It will be trial and error.

Thanks

new ball button not eating

ok I'm feeding him again tonight so I'll try heating up the pray a bit more and feed him while he's in his hide

Last edited by Ginglis; 06-25-2019 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks

Red face Re: new ball button not eating

I'm with Goat on this one. I went thru a dry feeding spell (5 weeks) with mine recently, and it was a temp and hide issue. His hide wasn't "pirvate" enough, so I upgraded...still didn't eat. Then I switched heating methods. I used to try thawing for a few hours at room temp, then hitting it with a hair dryer with mixed results...and when he did eat, I would have to drop feed. He would never take it from tongs. I now thaw for two hours on top of the enclosure so he can smell it for a bit. That seems to get him to peek out of his hide. Then, I put the thawed rat in a Ziploc and submerge it in water that is about 130-150 degrees (I microwave my water first to get it to temp and then submerge the rat) for about 10 minutes. This makes sure that it is thoroughly heated. The rat ends up around 130 degrees according to my heat gun, and that seems to be the butter zone for Gargamel. Ever since I did that, he has eaten every time and very quickly. Last time, it was less than 10 seconds between presentation and strike!

Just keep in mind, they all like different methods of heating, presentation, etc. Just like people, they have their likes and dislikes. You will just have to keep trying all the different methods and see what works for you. My boy just likes his food a little on the hot side LOL.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indygunnerguy For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (06-25-2019),Sonny1318 (06-25-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ginglis View Post
    ok I'm feeding him again tonight so I'll try heating up the pray a bit more and feed him while he's in his hide

Were you able to ask the previous owner what the animal was being fed? You might be trying to fit a square peg in a round hole until you figure that out..

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (06-25-2019)

Thanks

I did give his previous owner a message but he hasn't got back to me yet (I don't think he will)
    I'm just trying to feed him and he seemed interested but haven't took it. I warmed the rat up with a hairdryer after defrosting it so it was warm to the touch and am trying to feed him from the doorway of his cave.

HE TOOK IT!!! I was sitting writing this (not paying much attention ) when he struck at it. and he's sitting eating it now. I was starting to get worried because it's been a month since he last ate. Thanks for all the advice everyone gave me!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ginglis For This Useful Post:

dr del (06-25-2019)